Far Cry 3 and The Rape of Jason Brody

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Loonyyy said:
1) She's wearing a skirt.
2) Jason is wearing pants, and I don't recall him pulling them up and zipping up his fly afterwards.

Whatever your problem with it: You have to make a lot of assumptions which are contradicted by the source to call it rape.
it appears i'm in the minority, but i'm glad there are others who think the same as me, that no intercourse went on...

she was doing a sexy dance on top of him, and grinding... while still without consent, thats not rape if you are both wearing clothes. it is sexual assault, but not rape

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
Casual Shinji said:
But by all means, continue the whole "game is bad, cuz scene is bad, cuz rape is bad". Then maybe we should also take note of all the endangered animals Jason has been killing the whole game and throw a hissy fit about that as well, huh?
I'm sorry, has anyone actually said that the game is now bad because of this one scene, or is that just you arguing with your imaginary friend to make a point no one was contesting? God, there should be a word for that type of argument.
Uhm, well yeah, they have. For the fact that they're staring it down from an ivory tower because of one scene that was never supposed to be anything but a twisted tribal ritual.

And leave my imaginary friend out of this, he's still being house broken.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Ok, so going by your logic, physical signs of attraction are comparable to consent. They show that the person would like to have sex, and therefore no further consent is needed. A few issues:
1. What if I have some reason to not have sex, despite my physical urges? What if I am religious and it is banned, or a myriad of other reasons I do not want to have sex? Just because my stomach growls, doesn't mean I am not allowed to refuse food. Why does the fact that I felt physical attraction matter, if despite feeling them, I decided against giving consent? Why does instinct matter more than conscious thought?
2. You stated that things are different for women, but that if a man is aroused by a women without touching him, it is not rape for her to have sex with him. Same situation, what if a women is tied up by a man, who then strips down, and dances for her, and she gets wet? He hasn't touched her at all, but she is showing signs of arousal. Is he then allowed to have sex with her without it being rape? If not, why is it different for men? And I expect more of a answer than "it just is".

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I really think people are staring themselves blind on the act itself; Whether it's rape or not, it's not supposed to be a positive scene. It's supposed to represent Jason becoming more and more a savage killer, as another poster already noted, becoming seduced by it.

But by all means, continue the whole "game is bad, cuz scene is bad, cuz rape is bad". Then maybe we should also take note of all the endangered animals Jason has been killing the whole game and throw a hissy fit about that as well, huh?
I agree with the point you are making, but the issue people have, as far as I see it is the perceived double standard. Not within the game, but the lack of reaction by those who have played and/or reviewed it.

Let's take the Tomb Raider "rape" controversy. No rape even happens, not even implied. The guy gropes her, she knees him in the balls and takes his gun. That caused a huge debate, when rape never even occurred. That scene was not supposed to be positive either. We are not supposed to root for the guy groping her, it was to show the kind of thing Lara has to put up with.

So what's peoples reaction?

"Oh, so a girl has to have almost gone through rape to grow as a character?"
"Typical male power fantasy, saving a woman from being raped."

and so on.

Reaction to Jason Brody actually being raped?

"Oh, well he was enjoying it."
"It's just a game!"
"We didn't see them literally having sex, so it wasn't rape."

I am not giving my opinion either way, because I really don't feel like people from either side quoting me to start an argument, but that is the way the people complaining seem to see it.

Or to put it another way. If it had been Jessica Brody, would people be reacting the same?

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I have to agree with many people here, and after beating this game and getting both endings, I agree with the comments of people here saying that Jason Brody was /not/ raped, due to the fact of what you see on the screen..
but then doesn't Citra say that she is impregnated with his child? Didn't he kind of want that to happen, seeing as how he changes througout the game? I mean, he wasn't technically raped, in my honest opinion, but he did get stabbed at he end, and he wasn't seeing that coming ether.

I do really like how people pointed out Keith. I wasn't really thinking when I found Keith, but when I went back to play it, I finally realized it, and was disgusted. In my honest opinion, the game handles it well.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Legion said:
Casual Shinji said:
I really think people are staring themselves blind on the act itself; Whether it's rape or not, it's not supposed to be a positive scene. It's supposed to represent Jason becoming more and more a savage killer, as another poster already noted, becoming seduced by it.

I agree with the point you are making, but the issue people have, as far as I see it is the perceived double standard. Not within the game, but the lack of reaction by those who have played and/or reviewed it.

Let's take the Tomb Raider "rape" controversy. No rape even happens, not even implied. The guy gropes her, she knees him in the balls and takes his gun. That caused a huge debate, when rape never even occurred. That scene was not supposed to be positive either. We are not supposed to root for the guy groping her, it was to show the kind of thing Lara has to put up with.

So what's peoples reaction?

"Oh, so a girl has to have almost gone through rape to grow as a character?"
"Typical male power fantasy, saving a woman from being raped."

and so on.

Reaction to Jason Brody actually being raped?

"Oh, well he was enjoying it."
"It's just a game!"
"We didn't see them literally having sex, so it wasn't rape."

I am not giving my opinion either way, because I really don't feel like people from either side quoting me to start an argument, but that is the way the people complaining seem to see it.

Or to put it another way. If it had been Jessica Brody, would people be reacting the same?
I never saw the "controversial" Tomb Raider scene, but from the description you gave it's most likely supposed to be an uncomfortable sexual assault scene. That would've been it's initual purpose; To see Lara in a vulnerable state, or whatever. Like I said, I didn't see it. But if it had been a man inplace of Lara in that situation, I think I would've been equally uncomfortable.

With Jason Brody it was supposed to signify him sinking deeper and deeper into savagery. That's how I viewed it, and I'm sure none of the reviews ever brought up whether it was rape or not because that's how they viewed it as well. Was it non-consensual? Sure. But that's sort of secondary to what that scene was about. I never got genuine rape vibes from that scene, as opposed to the 'Buck' plot which had rape subtext painted on with a giant brush. Again, because that's how it's supposed to come across.

If Jason had been a woman and Citra a man, I don't know. I'd be lying if I said there'd be no difference, because subconsciously I'd be aware of the difference in strength; I'd know that Jason could toss Citra aside after realizing what was happening and not being up for that at all. If the sexes were reversed however...

MasterBrief

Nov 14, 2012
But he had his pants on all the way it looked like. Plus if you beat the game with her ending it wouldve been pointless to have sex with him early on like that because of what she wanted. I think she was just on top grinding him no penetration.