Far Cry 3 and The Rape of Jason Brody

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Odgical said:
The amount of rape threads disturbs me. Anyway!

Okay... you're playing a character in a specific storyline. You have no choice in this until the very end. The question is whether or not Jason, not you, would have consented to sex with Citra had he not been hallucinating.
NO. God dammit NO. This should NEVER be the case when looking at any sort of a rape act, "would he have consented had he not been hallucinating" is one of the biggest BULLSHIT statements I've read, it's on the same level as "she'd have gone along if she was sober" or any other variation of any kind of person with a drug, but please tell me, why does your question make it okay? And if it does make it okay, then you are saying anybody can rape anybody else while they're high because presumably they would have consented.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Again, you missed my point. I'm talking about erections caused by sexual desire. If a woman ties you to a chair and arouses you by moaning and taking her clothes off, you can't deny that you want to hit that. Of course, the assumption is that she's healthy.
YES I CAN. You have no idea a person can be turned on by something they don't want do you? Seeing images alone can turn people on, but that doesn't mean they want to fuck the people in the images, having a woman in front of an average man providing not only visual and audio stimulation (as you suggested in previous posts), will get the person turned on whether they want to be turned on or not as people barely have any control over that, it DOES NOT MEAN THEY WANT TO FUCK, AND IN NO WAY DOES IT GIVE CONSENT, THAT IS WHY IT'S CALLED RAPE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Festus Moonbear said:
This argument that "if the genders were reversed so it was a man date-raping a woman, there'd be an outcry" is sort of self-defeating. Sure, there'd be an outcry. The fact that there wasn't an outcry shows that obviously people don't consider this to be as big of a deal.
You stumbled across the problem without realizing it, the fact that people don't consider this to be a big deal is a big problem.

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
Warachia said:
Festus Moonbear said:
This argument that "if the genders were reversed so it was a man date-raping a woman, there'd be an outcry" is sort of self-defeating. Sure, there'd be an outcry. The fact that there wasn't an outcry shows that obviously people don't consider this to be as big of a deal.
You stumbled across the problem without realizing it, the fact that people don't consider this to be a big deal is a big problem.
Well no, I didn't stumble upon it without realising it, I was well aware of it - the point of that post was to raise the question that is at the root of this whole discussion: Who gets to decide what's a big deal and what isn't? You personally? The majority? God? Democracy says "the majority", doesn't it? When you say "the fact that people don't consider this to be a big deal is a big problem", on what authority do you say it? Almost the entirety of this thread is just people ignoring that question, one way or the other. Doubtless people will be bringing Nazism into it eventually.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Samurai Rabbit said:
My thoughts are that you're a jerk for spoiling part of the game for me when I haven't gotten there yet by giving away that plot point in the title of the thread. Thanks for wasting my money.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Rape's well sexy. That's why that 50 shades of grey book sold so well, innit?

Anyway I think the thing with Citra is meant to be a metaphore for like, the seduction of violence and killing and that. Like, you're running around sticking your knife in all these blokes ("It feels like winning" - Jason Brody) and there's the bit in the beginning when Jason's brother chucks that knife into that bloke's neck and Jason is immediately all:

"Oh my brother! Truly you are the pinnacle of male authority and I am so very afraid! Protect me!"

Naturally hilarity ensues and Jason becomes more and more badass, by which me mean more and more of a killer. And waaaaay more expert with his knife/penis. There's also that bit at the end where Brody be tripping and is all seeing Lisa going 'I'm gonna take your tattoos and male potency away, *****!' and rape & knives is something of a recurring theme in Far Cry 3.

So when you think about it every knife stealth takedown is like a little rape. Or at least that is how it seems to me in the context of the whole Citra sexy times.

It may seem shocking and abhorrant but you've got to remember that Ubisoft is a French company. The French are very advanced in these matters.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Festus Moonbear said:
Warachia said:
Festus Moonbear said:
Well no, I didn't stumble upon it without realising it, I was well aware of it - the point of that post was to raise the question that is at the root of this whole discussion: Who gets to decide what's a big deal and what isn't? You personally? The majority? God? Democracy says "the majority", doesn't it? When you say "the fact that people don't consider this to be a big deal is a big problem", on what authority do you say it? Almost the entirety of this thread is just people ignoring that question, one way or the other. Doubtless people will be bringing Nazism into it eventually.
Pure democracy is a terrible idea, which is why most democratic countries are some form of democratic republic. The framers of the US constitution were vehemently against the idea of a pure democracy, because all it did was allow the majority to impose their will on the minority, which was considered unacceptable.

Anyway, I would consider it to be largely based in religion. Rape is only bad because people are told that it's bad. Various cultures in history accepted and encouraged rape, so it's not objectively 'evil'. There are many species of animal and insect whose main form of reproduction is rape. Aaaand finally, rape is only a traumatic event because people are told that it's meant to be traumatic. An example I like to bring up often is the Sambia Tribe in Africa.

The Sambia Tribe basically assigns 7-14 year old boys to a warrior within the tribe, and a warrior will generally have 5~ boys until he gets married to a woman, at which point he stops having homosexual intercourse entirely. The Sambia Tribe believe that semen is not naturally produced by the body and must first be 'implanted' by an adult. So, the warriors have sex with the boys for a number of years until they've reached adulthood. Some members of the Sambia Tribe have left to return to 'civilization' after becoming adults, and on average (as determined by Psychologists), they tend to be healthier mentally and sexually than most average people.

So...yeah. Religion.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
nexus said:
It isn't the only "suggested rape" in the game. One of the characters is kept underground in some filthy cellar, chained to a bed. Presumably being raped every single day by his captor. No one talked about that either, I mean.. nothing, I didn't see any mention of it on the Garme jurnalizm! grapevine..

Lara Croft wasn't raped, and we've only seen the trailer. She was groped and "grabbed at", but the entire internet was in an uproar, and I was embarrassed just having to be present in the same universe. Why Lara uproar/controversy and no mention of this? Because unwarranted militant feminism.

As far Brody getting date-raped. If you had played a Jill Brody, I can tell you right now we wouldn't be discussing whether or not Jill "seemed to enjoy it anyway", otherwise you would get banned. That's right, you are not allowed to mirror a female character like this at all, because it's not allowed.
Hell, not only that. The character who did it constantly suggests, none to subtley, that he has and will continue to perform sexual acts on him. One of the things he says when you finally fight him is "This is some weird fuckin' foreplay, huh?"

I always considered it that Jason was already too deeply into the tribe to care.

SeanSeanston

Dec 22, 2010
Screamarie said:
Not to mention there's the general belief that a man CAN'T be raped by a woman, which is so totally untrue that I believe anyone who even ponders if it might be true sets us back about a thousand years.
I've even heard of a statistic that 10% of women admit to raping a man. Haven't looked into it properly yet, mind... but still.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Note- having an erection is not a sign of consent.
An erection does not mean yes ;_;

But yeah, srsly too.

Father Time said:
Aw who am I kidding yeah there would be uproar if there's rape against women in a game for any reason. Stupid knee jerk people.
Yeah and I think people just have to stand up to bigoted bullies who demand women be depicted as helpless victims all the time.

i.e. Man is raped or arguably raped = not so bad, because men are superhuman and if anything bad befalls them then they could have done something about it or must have deserved it. Also "man up", "take it like a man" etc.
Woman is raped or arguably raped (or looked at strangely etc.) = horribly bad, women are helpless victims by default and we must always give the benefit of the doubt that she was probably forced into whatever it is and she was a passive pawn in the whole affair, compared to men who always have control of their own destinies.

sethisjimmy said:
I don't think it's such a big double standard that everyone ITT is talking about. Yes if it were a female protagonist there would be an uproar, but I don't consider that particularly unjustified. Mainly because statistically, rape of females is a waaaay bigger problem than female on male rape. As in, female on male rape is less than 1 percent of all rapes to occur. Even male on male rape occurs far less than male on female.
Oh Jesus, here we go again...

So many problems. Too many to list. I'll just do it quickly...

A. Female on male rape is generally not considered rape in the first place.
B. It is under-reported.
C. It is a social taboo for a man to be raped by anyone.
D. Nobody cares.
E. Statistics on the matter of male rape are terribly poor and men get raped all the time in war, prison etc.
F. Man up, take it like a man etc.

Here's a little interesting article just so I can feel like I'm doing something for the spread of important information:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jul/17/the-rape-of-men

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Samurai Rabbit said:
Brody awakes during a non -consensual sex act with Citra.
I haven't finished Far Cry 3 yet (still playing through it, I don't really care if you "spoil" it) but by non-consensual sex is more than that.

For one, to spite Far Cry 3's persistent perspective, Jason Brody is quite a different character, he may have consented to sex even if the player did not. It's not like it's an empty shell where the in game character doesn't make a single decision without the player's consent.

The bottom line is did JASON feel he had been raped:

-did he feel tricked into taking the potion after, because unlike slipping someone a roofie, knowingly intoxicating yourself you are responsible for your own decisions* just like drunk drivers are responsible for getting behind a wheel.
-When Jason was high, did he in fact decide to have sex with Citra, just the player's perspective muddles that in the hallucination

And of course, did Citra go against Jason's expressed consent when the hallucination ends? That's the second component. Even if Jason was intoxicated and willing at first, if he objected later and she prevented the intercourse ending then she's guilty of rape.

*Key word being decision. A drunk or unconscious person doesn't decide to be raped, that's the very definition. But if an intoxicated man or woman who willingly intoxicated them self DECIDES to have sex with someone, that's not rape. Of course if they are totally unconscious they cannot consent.

CONTEXT IS NEEDED.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Festus Moonbear said:
Warachia said:
Festus Moonbear said:
The reason it is a big deal is because people don't care, that's the double standard issue I was addressing that you ignored, people care when a woman could be raped, but they don't care if a guy was raped, despite them both having a huge impact on the victim (in real life), and what does it matter on who's authority I say it? But since you must know, the law (at least here in Canada) treats rape for a woman the same way it treats rape for a man, same with the US (though the people running the trials might not), since the law treats them equally they should be seen equally by the public, and they're not, that's why it's a problem, and that's why you get scenarios in movies where men are raped and it's treated like a joke.

Now please explain to me why this isn't a problem.

Kopikatsu said:
Pure democracy is a terrible idea, which is why most democratic countries are some form of democratic republic. The framers of the US constitution were vehemently against the idea of a pure democracy, because all it did was allow the majority to impose their will on the minority, which was considered unacceptable.

Anyway, I would consider it to be largely based in religion. Rape is only bad because people are told that it's bad. Various cultures in history accepted and encouraged rape, so it's not objectively 'evil'. There are many species of animal and insect whose main form of reproduction is rape. Aaaand finally, rape is only a traumatic event because people are told that it's meant to be traumatic.
Wow, this is so unbelievably intentionally ignorant that I'm not even sure how to respond to it, do you even talk to people or do you decide everything based on your own personal opinions?

How exactly did you get to this conclusion? The reason rape is not legal in modern day first world countries is because it IS a traumatic event, and please show me your sources, show me where people have argued that rape is not evil, that rape should be allowed to happen in modern societies, show me psychological studies that prove it isn't traumatic.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I think this would count as an unusual form of date rape, but it certainly goes with Citra's character. The game wasn't as overt about painting her as a disturbing character as, say, Buck, but I get the impression that we were supposed to walk away from the game thinking, "Wow! What a messed up woman."

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
On another note, I'm trying to put myself into the shoes of a woman playing the game. What IF Jason Brody was a female character, and Citra was attractive, scantily clad male? I'm not sure I could put myself in that situation, but I wonder how much of an outcry there would really be if genders were reversed. This thread is the first I've seen where people complain about Jason's date rape. Most guys I know enjoyed that scene. As a result, I wonder if female gamers would be any more bothered if Citra was an attractive man in tribal clothing. I can't say for sure, but I'm not as certain about there being an outcry as I was before.

For one thing, as I said earlier, I think we're supposed to be a little disturbed by what Citra is doing, so it doesn't look like the game is glorifying rape by any means.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Warachia said:
Kopikatsu said:

Anyway, I would consider it to be largely based in religion. Rape is only bad because people are told that it's bad. Various cultures in history accepted and encouraged rape, so it's not objectively 'evil'. There are many species of animal and insect whose main form of reproduction is rape. Aaaand finally, rape is only a traumatic event because people are told that it's meant to be traumatic.
Wow, this is so unbelievably intentionally ignorant that I'm not even sure how to respond to it, do you even talk to people or do you decide everything based on your own personal opinions?

How exactly did you get to this conclusion? The reason rape is not legal in modern day first world countries is because it IS a traumatic event, and please show me your sources, show me where people have argued that rape is not evil, that rape should be allowed to happen in modern societies, show me psychological studies that prove it isn't traumatic.
I'm currently entrenched in work so the citations will have to come a bit later (But if you want to go have a look for yourself, the big names to keep in mind are the psych research of the Baryua, Maasai, and Sambia peoples; as well as the history of how sex and sexuality was handled in ancient European cultures, especially Greece.)

Anywho, I'll leave you with a short logic argument. One night stands are largely considered acceptable in most Western cultures. These are not considered to be a traumatic event, yes? What's the difference between a one night stand and rape? Ignoring the semantics (Raped by a white person but would never normally sleep with a white person; raped by someone outside of their sexuality, etc'), the answer is the state of mind during the act. The rapee resists the act for whatever reason, although if I had to hazard a guess, in most cases I would say that they believe they have an unlimited right to their own body. As the sexual contact is unwanted, it is violating that perceived right and thus resistance is formed.

Now, that is a societal and moral thing. Morals are formed by the society one lives in, by the individuals experiences, and the interactions of the individual. In turn, this dictates where the lines are drawn in the given society. For example, most societies currently say that slavery and pedophilia are unconscionable acts. I could point to a million cultures (Hyperbole) throughout history that indulged in both and considered them to be perfectly acceptable. So, slavery and pedophilia are not objectively bad. They have benefits and drawbacks just like everything else. We arbitrarily decided that such things are unacceptable, but there is nothing inherently evil or wrong about those or rape. (Without doing any kind of research or anything to refresh my memory, I'll just point to the Huns for this, considering Genghis Khan is directly related to one in every two hundred Asian men or something)

Anyway, back on track. A traumatic event is defined thusly:
A single experience, or an enduring or repeating event or events, that completely overwhelm the individual's ability to cope or integrate the ideas and emotions involved with that experience.
Cannot cope or integrate the ideas or emotions involved in the experience. This is very important, because it implies that the experience directly opposes the victim's beliefs. If someone was raised believing that murder was both necessary and good, then there's a high chance that they'll not have a problem with killing. Again, without being able to look anything up right now, I'll just point to terrorist organizations like AL-Queda for this, who are perfectly willing to kill because they believe it will secure their place in the afterlife. If the event falls in line with the individuals beliefs, then it can't be traumatic. For this, I'll just point back to the Sambia tribe. Pedophilia, rape, and what is essentially polygamy all wrapped into one heretical bundle. But there has been extensive psychiatric research done on the Sambia Tribe, and they're fine. None of these things were traumatic for them, because it was an expected and accepted part of their culture. Rape is only traumatic because society says that it should be.

But if you disagree, let me ask this; how is rape objectively bad? 'Violates one's right to their own body' or something similar is not an objective statement, it's a subjective belief and so it's not valid. Example! Most Eastern cultures believe that society is more valuable than the individual. If one must sacrifice, suffer, or die in order to further benefit society, then that is what the individual is expected to do. This doesn't mean that rape is permissible in these places (because the detriment of the individual does not benefit society enough to offset it), but it could be. In a completely hypothetical situation which will very likely never come to pass- imagine if all women suddenly refused to have sex with men and kept to that for an indefinite length of time. In the cultures were the individual is considered subservient to societal needs, rape would be justified in that case. Why? Well, it would mean that reproduction would cease. Society as a whole would be in grave danger of ceasing to exist. And so, you have to balance the rights of the individual against extinction.

To use a less hyperbolic example, rape (especially during wartime conquests) greatly diversified large areas of the world genetically and even gained some groups ethnic rights. Native Mexicans and the Europeans, for example. They raped and plundered Mexico, and eventually settled there as they had children with the natives. While native-born Mexicans weren't treated very well at first, the mutts eventually came into positions of power and granted the natives rights.

blaize2010

Sep 17, 2010
ClockworkUniverse said:
nexus said:
It isn't the only "suggested rape" in the game. One of the characters is kept underground in some filthy cellar, chained to a bed. Presumably being raped every single day by his captor. No one talked about that either, I mean.. nothing, I didn't see any mention of it on the Garme jurnalizm! grapevine..
That part of the game really creeped me out. I mean...it was in there for basically no reason. You're on a mission to rescue this one friend, and it's like every five minutes the game just kind of hits pause and goes "oh, also, he is being raped." Probably an effort to heighten the stakes or something, but it's both really creepy and really out-of-place.

nexus said:
As far Brody getting date-raped. If you had played a Jill Brody, I can tell you right now we wouldn't be discussing whether or not Jill "seemed to enjoy it anyway", otherwise you would get banned. That's right, you are not allowed to mirror a female character like this at all, because it's not allowed.
I agree that there's a double-standard, and that's pretty bad, but I do think the game's overall narrative context, it seems like something Jason legitimately wanted to do, and even if interpreted as rape, that just figures into the overall story.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the game's narrative is, in essence, about having to survive in the jungle and fight pirates and stuff driving Jason completely nuts. As a consequence of this, he drifts away from his friends and toward the local warrior culture. (this sounded kind of racist to me before I played the game, but in-game it's framed more in terms of this island being such a dangerous place that people who adapt to surviving there just kind of have to go crazy).

So on the one hand, cheating on his girlfriend with the local tribal leader does seem to be something Jason would legitimately have done anyway as a logical consequence of his character progression.

And on the other...well, yes, Citra's actions here are at the very least incredibly sketchy. It kind of seems like she's trying to Stockholm him so he doesn't leave the island with his friends.

It's also worth noting that in the event that Jason does in the end agree to remain with Citra...
She has sex with him one more time in order to get pregnant, then ritualistically murders him.
Given that little twist, now that I think on it more, I wonder if the scene was intended to superficially seem like random fanservice, then be creepier when you think about it, in order to essentially do to the player what Citra is doing to Jason (psychologically, that is).

Given the other rape subplot, it's possible that I'm giving this game's writing way the hell too much credit, but I do find that the elements of the story related to the core theme are far better-written than the assorted subplots, so maybe not.
You know, that was kind of a gamble on Citra's part. I mean, what if she didn't get pregnant? Entirely aside from the whole rapey thing, it stuck out to me that a child isn't always conceived the first or second go round, and I mean, if she's not pregnant that kinda throws her whole plan out the window.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
I'm currently entrenched in work so the citations will have to come a bit later (But if you want to go have a look for yourself, the big names to keep in mind are the psych research of the Baryua, Maasai, and Sambia peoples; as well as the history of how sex and sexuality was handled in ancient European cultures, especially Greece.)

Anywho, I'll leave you with a short logic argument. One night stands are largely considered acceptable in most Western cultures. These are not considered to be a traumatic event, yes? What's the difference between a one night stand and rape?
Consent. That's the difference, also possible scarring (physical and emotional) and possibly infections due to said scarring, not to mention the rapist could easily have several STD's that the other person would not know about and would not ever want to have, if rape was accepted everywhere there'd be no way to control the spread of these diseases, as people would rape whenever they felt like it.

Congrats though, you asked the dumbest question I've ever seen.

Ignoring the semantics (Raped by a white person but would never normally sleep with a white person; raped by someone outside of their sexuality, etc'), the answer is the state of mind during the act. The rapee resists the act for whatever reason, although if I had to hazard a guess, in most cases I would say that they believe they have an unlimited right to their own body. As the sexual contact is unwanted, it is violating that perceived right and thus resistance is formed.

Now, that is a societal and moral thing. Morals are formed by the society one lives in, by the individuals experiences, and the interactions of the individual. In turn, this dictates where the lines are drawn in the given society. For example, most societies currently say that slavery and pedophilia are unconscionable acts. I could point to a million cultures (Hyperbole) throughout history that indulged in both and considered them to be perfectly acceptable. So, slavery and pedophilia are not objectively bad. They have benefits and drawbacks just like everything else. We arbitrarily decided that such things are unacceptable, but there is nothing inherently evil or wrong about those or rape. (Without doing any kind of research or anything to refresh my memory, I'll just point to the Huns for this, considering Genghis Khan is directly related to one in every two hundred Asian men or something)
Just because they were accepted at one point does not mean they are not bad, it means they were accepted, one of the benefits of most modern societies is free will, people are not forced to serve somebody else, they can pick and choose who they work for, this was established as a basic human right, back in the days where slavery was widely accepted the slaves were seen as either indentured servants, or they were seen as less than human, because if they were ever seen as human nobody would have ever kept them as slaves in the first place, some tyrants consider themselves above or better than everyone else or even infallible, and people follow them, does that mean they are better than the ones who work under them? No, they are still a person, with the same flaws as everyone else.

The reason pedophilia is OBJECTIVELY wrong is because a child's body has not matured enough to safely have sex, and have kids, and their mind has not matured enough to fully grasp the consequences of such events, there's no "arbitrarily deciding things" here.

Genghis Khan has a lot of descendants, and your point was...? If he has a lot of descendants, then he has a lot of descendants, that's it. How does that validate anything?

Anyway, back on track. A traumatic event is defined thusly:
A single experience, or an enduring or repeating event or events, that completely overwhelm the individual's ability to cope or integrate the ideas and emotions involved with that experience.
Cannot cope or integrate the ideas or emotions involved in the experience. This is very important, because it implies that the experience directly opposes the victim's beliefs.
NO. It does not, what it implies is that the experience itself was so overwhelming the person it happened to is unable to cope with such an experience, this is why rape victims can also sometimes be called "rape survivors" because some people are simply not able to cope with the experience (and can have triggers making them relive it), and commit suicide.

Belief has nothing to do with it, at all. Or are you suggesting that rape never traumatized people in the time when it was accepted, if you are, then you are wrong, you can find several records of people in the past who had been raped and committed suicide hundreds of years ago, and if you disagree, please link studies proving that rape never affected people until recently.

If someone was raised believing that murder was both necessary and good, then there's a high chance that they'll not have a problem with killing. Again, without being able to look anything up right now, I'll just point to terrorist organizations like AL-Queda for this, who are perfectly willing to kill because they believe it will secure their place in the afterlife.
They kill because they believe the people they are killing are evil, does this make them right? No, because they ignore any sort of peaceful solution, they value their own lives and souls above other people because they see themselves as different, even though I've already explained people like them aren't, because they are human, just like everyone else.

If the event falls in line with the individuals beliefs, then it can't be traumatic. For this, I'll just point back to the Sambia tribe. Pedophilia, rape, and what is essentially polygamy all wrapped into one heretical bundle. But there has been extensive psychiatric research done on the Sambia Tribe, and they're fine. None of these things were traumatic for them, because it was an expected and accepted part of their culture. Rape is only traumatic because society says that it should be.
How the fuck did you post a definition of trauma then forget about it a few paragraphs down? I'll refresh you, rape is traumatic because the person it's happening to cannot cope with what is going on.

Now I want to address a separate issue, you seem to be suggesting that rape should be brought in as part of modern society, when it absolutely shouldn't and here's why: To rape somebody is to force your will own theirs, you are forcing them into doing something they absolutely do not want to do, and that goes against one of the ideas of modern society, that being free will and everyone being equals, if we believe that we are equals, we should meet each other as equals, we should not see somebody else as inferior and therefore a target for whatever desire the person has.

But if you disagree, let me ask this; how is rape objectively bad? 'Violates one's right to their own body' or something similar is not an objective statement, it's a subjective belief and so it's not valid.

Rape is objectively bad because of health risks, you can have tearing of the tissue, infections, unchecked transfer of STD's, not to mention potentially having a higher suicide rate, not to mention if the victim fights back too much and things spin further out of control this rape might accidentally turn into a murder, but I suppose you are fine with that too.

Example! Most Eastern cultures believe that society is more valuable than the individual. If one must sacrifice, suffer, or die in order to further benefit society, then that is what the individual is expected to do. This doesn't mean that rape is permissible in these places (because the detriment of the individual does not benefit society enough to offset it), but it could be. In a completely hypothetical situation which will very likely never come to pass- imagine if all women suddenly refused to have sex with men and kept to that for an indefinite length of time. In the cultures were the individual is considered subservient to societal needs, rape would be justified in that case. Why? Well, it would mean that reproduction would cease. Society as a whole would be in grave danger of ceasing to exist. And so, you have to balance the rights of the individual against extinction.
So if rape doesn't benefit society, then by this argument it should be removed, so please tell me how rape DOES benefit society?
Your pathetic argument does not fill my question, artificial insemination has already eliminated the need for sex to continue the human race, and even if women refused to get pregnant they could simply pass a law forcing pregnancies, then leave it up to the women to decide how to go about it, rape would never be justified in such a situation, if the women was still adamant about not having a kid AT MOST they would get prison time, then be let out, not to mention it would take about 50-60 YEARS before people have to worry about humanity not continuing even if every women went to prison, by that time people will have figured out how to artificially make people out of donated eggs and sperm.

Now I want to pose to you a hypothetical question just as ridiculous as the one you gave me, if diseases suddenly vanished and all wars stopped, the population would skyrocket, would you legalize murder?

To use a less hyperbolic example, rape (especially during wartime conquests) greatly diversified large areas of the world genetically and even gained some groups ethnic rights. Native Mexicans and the Europeans, for example. They raped and plundered Mexico, and eventually settled there as they had children with the natives. While native-born Mexicans weren't treated very well at first, the mutts eventually came into positions of power and granted the natives rights.
And they protected them against future rapists, how exactly did rape help here? Because they had children? You do realize rapists (especially during wartime conquests) do not give a shit about any children they might or might not have right? Especially when the rape victims would usually get murdered afterword.

Ariseishirou

Aug 24, 2010
I don't think they actually had sex though. At least, that's not how it came across to me in the game. She was just grinding on top of him, and both him and her were still fully clothed.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I will be making my own topic on this and my Far Cry 3 experience overall, but to make it short this one scene completely killed the game's storyline for me and made me nearly stop playing the game (the Wingsuit and all weapons / skills finally being unlocked shortly afterwards as well as getting the disguise saved the game for me). As far as I'm concerned, Jason Brody and Citra are two of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen and I found the villains of all people to be more likable than them, and they're mass-murdering psychopaths.