Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Review - Unapologetically 80s

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Review - Unapologetically 80s

A bloody and gorgeous love letter to the B movies of yesteryear.

Read Full Article

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
the best April fools prank ever. and a fun game, haven't played much yet but the beginning is awesome, and the tutorial is cheeky in its own right.

Archammer

Nov 25, 2009
The game wasn't made by Crytek, it was an Ubisoft Montreal game. Crytek hasn't made a Far Cry game since the first one.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. If it was any more 80s, you'd have to use dial up to download it.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
It's all the little details that merge into an 80's movie nostalgia overload that really does it. For instance, the Cyber-eye (this game's version of FC3's binoculars) looks a great deal like Terminator's vision, and the sound effect when you switch vision modes (toggle the cyber eye) is that of the Predator vision mode switches. The synth soundtrack really does wonders for it too, but so do the ballad sounding theme at the main menu and a tasty bit I picked up on whilst stealthing my way through an outpost, and a music cue quietly faded in that sounded like the background suspense music that plays in Predator when some stalking is going on.

Lol, and the pistol pretty much being Robocop's pistol (description even references this) was full of win.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
As was mentioned in another story, they're already looking at a sequel and Michael Biehn is on board... if they could get Kurt Russell in on this too, oh man- would love to play around in a distopian 200X where a major American city was turned into a giant prison from which I need to escape, if y'all catch my drift.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Had such a blast with this. The power you wield for the charge leading up to the final battle was reminiscent of Half Life 2. However....

Having that final battle unfold via cutscene soured the experience a bit.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
erttheking said:
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. If it was any more 80s, you'd have to use dial up to download it.
No, it would just come on 5.25" floppies (about 8000 of them). I don't think many people had internet in the 80s, even dial-up.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Blood Brain Barrier said:
erttheking said:
No, it would just come on 5.25" floppies (about 8000 of them). I don't think many people had internet in the 80s, even dial-up.
Internet didn't really exist as we know it till the 90's. It was mostly just private networks. Because computers took up whole offices and no one could afford them. That came off quite know-it-all-y. Oh, well.

OT:

This game is amazing! See, large publisher?! Taking a risk on a new IP and putting out a game at a decent price does pay off!

I didn't buy Farcry 3 and I bought the game because it was so outlandish. And the basic gameplay turned out to be fun as tits, no matter how simple it was. And now I'm going to buy Farcry 3.

And it was a perfect sized game, too. I put in 8 hours on one playthrough (100%ing it). If it was larger, it'd probably overstay its welcome. $15 was a great value, and I hope it stays small and episodic-like for the next installments. I probably wouldn't buy a $60 Blood Dragon sequel.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
This game was great. Just the right length, so gloriously stupid, and the plot was much better than Far Cry 3's.

And most glorious of all
ROBODRAGON VICTORY MARCH

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
I loved this game from start to finish. I'd give it 80 out of 10, as it's so 80s :)

I'm not sure if it needs a sequel, the joke could start to get old if they don't do it right, or make it bigger next time.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
This has to be the best $15 that I have ever spent on a game. I am VERY happy to see a developer make a DAMN STANDALONE DLC too. They could have milked people to buy the original game but decided not to be douche bags so good on them!!!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
ticklefist said:
Had such a blast with this. The power you wield for the charge leading up to the final battle was reminiscent of Half Life 2. However....

Dude, you get to ride a Blood Dragon. A car-sized cyborg lizard that shoots fusion laser eye beams and a minigun.

Any and all criticism of the game is rendered invalid by that alone.

Edit: And yea, I really hope this doesn't get a sequel. It's a nostalgia trip that relies solely on the cheese to keep it entertaining, but cheese gets old quickly. Blood Dragon is pretty much the perfect length for what it is, any more would just drain it of value.

I love the game to pieces, but I'm afraid developers will learn the wrong lesson from it. Specifically, that they'll start franchising and squeezing out sequels things chock full of 80s cheese instead of shifting their efforts into more low-mid budget, creatively diverse and cheap games.

Blood Dragon doesn't need a sequel at all, ever. What it needs is to be the thing developers bring up in meetings with executives using an argument kinda like this: "This new, crazy project I have a great idea for is a risk, but so was Blood Dragon. And look how that turned out."

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
Agayek said:
ticklefist said:

Dude, you get to ride a Blood Dragon. A car-sized cyborg lizard that shoots fusion laser eye beams and a minigun.

Any and all criticism of the game is rendered invalid by that alone.

Edit: And yea, I really hope this doesn't get a sequel. It's a nostalgia trip that relies solely on the cheese to keep it entertaining, but cheese gets old quickly. Blood Dragon is pretty much the perfect length for what it is, any more would just drain it of value.

I love the game to pieces, but I'm afraid developers will learn the wrong lesson from it. Specifically, that they'll start franchising and squeezing out sequels things chock full of 80s cheese instead of shifting their efforts into more low-mid budget, creatively diverse and cheap games.

Blood Dragon doesn't need a sequel at all, ever. What it needs is to be the thing developers bring up in meetings with executives using an argument kinda like this: "This new, crazy project I have a great idea for is a risk, but so was Blood Dragon. And look how that turned out."
Why not? A sequel from the same creative team would be great since B-movies is basically their passion, they've tackled movies like Russian Terminator and Miami Connection even before Redlettermedia tackled said movies.

The team behind Far Cry 3 can pull off the same miracle because cheesy B-movies is something they enjoy with passion, I really hope the sequel is a full-fledged game instead of a small DLC.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
god was this a blast, from the Terminator-ish music, the over-the-top reloading animations to the quad barrel, semi auto, where the heck does it store the ammo shotgun. S sadly short but sweet, so gonna come back to this game months from now and start a new game and relive it again.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I am fairly certain I was dialing into boards in 1989 but it might have been 1990. Curse my long term memory fuzziness.

OT: Boy oh boy am I enjoying this game. I am playing it for short stretches in between the new Tomb Raider and Don't Stare. It is a great alternative to the overly serious and is TOTALLY 80's with some 90's shooter flavor.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Defeated Detective said:
Why not? A sequel from the same creative team would be great since B-movies is basically their passion, they've tackled movies like Russian Terminator and Miami Connection even before Redlettermedia tackled said movies.

The team behind Far Cry 3 can pull off the same miracle because cheesy B-movies is something they enjoy with passion, I really hope the sequel is a full-fledged game instead of a small DLC.
Because then you get exactly what we have now, except with bright neon and fucktons of cheese instead of grey-brown quasi-realistic and gritty corridors.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a sequel to Blood Dragon, but if they do it, they'll make it fairly clear that they didn't learn the most valuable lesson from the game in the first place: That a wider variety of options, produced with a lower budget and at less cost to the consumer, is a recipe for success.

The AAA industry has this incredibly backwards and aggravating habit of taking the same business model they use for things like Madden and trying to apply it to everything. And something like Blood Dragon will get stale and old in incredibly rapid succession. I like it too much to wish that upon it.