Far Cry 3, is a better RPG than Skyrim.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Siege_TF said:
Your use of the English language is inelegant. Regardless, it's impossible to say that chunky spaghetti sauce is better than spicy spaghetti sauce, just as it's impossible to compare, say, Oblivion and Fallout.
I fixed your post so that you may avoid hypocrisy. Your use of commas was terrible. Inelegant, indeed.

Guy from the 80's

Mar 7, 2012
I never finished Far Cry 3 for one reason.....it was the same over and over again. The mission where you burn down weed was pretty damn cool but moving across the island climbing radio towers and clearing out pirate bases become more of a chore. The missions were dull and the story was mediocre.

I loved the game at first but it was butter spread over too much bread.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Soopy said:
Caiphus said:
Skyrim has dragons and orcs.
Does Far Cry 3 have dragons and orcs?

There you go.
So fallout isn't an RPG?

By this logic, you cannot have an RPG without a fantasy setting.
... Please tell me you're trolling. Aside from how Fallout is completely a fantasy setting (not that it is required) the combat in far cry 3 is shallow as all hell, same as the crafting. Shoot one silenced shot half a mile away? They know where it came from and are coming for you. Crafting? Why exactly do I need shark skin for a weapon holster again? Why can't I just make it out of boar leather?

Far Cry 3 is a dumb fps through and through. Takes itself way to seriously and I actually liked the game. Can't wait for blood dragon, its what far cry should have been.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
You gotta stop using the word RPG, OP.

It doesn't mean what you think it means.

Far Cry 3 is a great game, but it ain't an RPG.
I was under the impression that RPG meant rocket propelled grenade role playing game, Far Cry 3 doesn't look very role-playingish to me?

Conversely throughout my 200+ hours with Skyrim and it's many mods I consistently found myself role playing...

Hmm.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
better character interaction -> well duh, it's pretty much lineair. At least compared to Skyrim, pretty much the least lineair game in existence (of it's generation) ignoring things like minecraft.

better looks -> eye of the beholder, I find Skyrims looks breathtaking. + it's older

combat -> apples and oranges, a multi class sword/magic vs shooting with some knifing thrown in. Although I do agree that TES combat could use some love it's very hard to compare it to a shooter.

I do agree the crafting system is kind off better. Although Skyrim shoots for a little more immersive realism and you can't create a piece of armor by smacking some leather together in the middle of a meadow.

I think the problem here is that Farcry might be better in some aspects that RPG's have, but that doesn't make it an RPG. Because what makes a Role Playing Game. That you can make and name a character and equip him in whatever manner you would like. Not essential but pretty much universal is the level and skill system, which I have to give to Skyrim in terms of diversity and expansiveness.

So to conclude, Far cry might have some elements that are common in RPG's, and execute them better. But this is almost entirely due to the fact that a more lineair nature and lack of a class system give it a much tighter focus which allows for a more clean execution without balance issues, and more natural character interactions due to a lack of chronology issues. So which is better? Are you looking for a very diverse but still story driven FPS, or a free roaming RPG.

Soopy

Jul 15, 2011
Ickorus said:
Ok, so a game that isn't an RPG game managed the RPG elements it incorporated better than an ACTUAL RPG game.

Arguing semantics is a bit ridiculous, it's pretty obvious what the OP was getting at and you should debate the points he raises instead of dismissing his entire post based on a single simple error.
Thank you, you've seen my point in all of this.

I know full well that FarCry 3 isn't considered an RPG, it simply struck me that it performs RPGesque tasks better than some fully fledged RPG's.
I remember playing the older TES titles in the late 90's early 2000's, as well as many JRPG's on the SNES. Two very different styles of game, yet under the same genre banner. Both styles with very different mechanics, very different presentations yet both considered an RPG.

After reading some interpretations of what an RPG is here, it seems to be that each individual is now associating titles with a genre rather than what the title actually consists of.
Mechanically, Farcry 3 and Skyrim are very similar. Perhaps Farcry 3 isn't as... fleshed out, in some instances (though I choke on that, Skyrim is not deep mechanically, its just convoluted.)what it does have is very functional and in almost all cases useful.

As I play through Farcry and develop the character, he becomes something within the world. A force within it.
As I play through Skyrim and develop my character, not allot happens. He gains skills sure, but those skills only exist to ensure that I can keep up with the arbitrary NPC leveling system. Basically rendering progress pointless.

When I select a skill in Farcry, I select it because it is useful. While yes, I can get every skill, it still requires that I play the game in order to unlock them and depending on the order I select skills the difficulty or my characters efficiency is impacted.
On the flipside, I find my self, more often than not with skyrim, choosing skills I have no real interest in simply to unlock a master skill some ways down the track. That to me is as pointless as having all the skills available to me. It simply gives an illusion of choice rather than actually letting me forge my own path.

Side quests, well... They're the same. The side quests within Farcry are very basic but serve to allow you a means to further develop the character and earn coin to restock supply's.
The same can be said for the quests in Skyrim, they're all fairly generic if with a little fluff at the beginning to make it seem like it may be more than a simple fetch/kill quest. The only thing I can think of that really stands out here is that I've not had a quest within Farcry bug out on me and not allow me to complete it. Besides that, its tie in my opinion.

As far as I can see, the story progression is about the same in both games. If you were to follow the main quest in Skyrim from start to finish without break, you can, and it will unfold pretty much exactly as Farcrys does. If with little to no exposition along the way. In both games you can go off on your own tangent should you wish. I believe that when I was at the same point in Skyrim, as I am now with Farcry, I found Skyrim to be just as compelling. Right up until I finished the main quest. Once I had finished it... well lets just say I think ME3 ended better...
I will have to wait until I finish Farcry to comment but so far its coming along well there.

The "Experience"; People often say that the fun within Skyrim is not the content found within, but the content you inject with your imagination. They also use this as a defense against its major glaring issues with its actual physical content. While I am thrilled for those of you happy enough to imagine things to be occurring, that just aren't, it isn't a tangible facet that can be offered in a debate. As it stands, if I am given a quest within Skyrim, more often than not I find it dull and unappealing.
The reason for this, is simple. Skyrim doesn't allow you a clean interaction with the world. It's combat is sloppy and you're never given the ability to resolve issues in another way unless specifically scripted that way. While Farcry is also very much a dog with one trick. It is very good at that trick. The gunplay is slick and the AI is intelligent enough to make encounters unique.

I am not trying to stand on toes or offend fans of any Genre or game. I started this thread in the manner I did to spur debate, and it has done so spectacularly. There are some very thoughtful responses in this thread and I thank you for those.

Taurus Vis

Jan 12, 2013
"2; The crafting system functions much nicer and doesn't break the game"

Did you get the invincibility syringes, they were pretty game breaking.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Nieroshai said:
Siege_TF said:
Your use of the English language is inelegant. Regardless, it's impossible to say that chunky spaghetti sauce is better than spicy spaghetti sauce, just as it's impossible to compare, say, Oblivion and Fallout.
I fixed your post so that you may avoid hypocrisy. Your use of commas was terrible. Inelegant, indeed.
I suppose if I just said 'woosh' I'd get modded. Suffice to say I was misusing commas intentionally as a form of sarcasm.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Caiphus said:
Soopy said:
Caiphus said:
Skyrim has dragons and orcs.
Does Far Cry 3 have dragons and orcs?

There you go.
So fallout isn't an RPG?

By this logic, you cannot have an RPG without a fantasy setting.
If you took my super serious post to its logical conclusion then yes, fallout is not an rpg.

We should take this to the Better Business Bureau right away, you and me.
Post of the month.

OT: Far Cry 3 isn't an RPG.

It's an FPS, think of comparing Far Cry 3 to BioShock Infinite or Dishonored. They are all FPS's with RPG elements, but when you think about it, most games have RPG elements don't they?

FC3 is a game based around it's central character Jason Brody ultimately completing a narrative that is played out in an open sand-box world. The game has sidequests, but ultimately the focus-point for completing these side-quests is to help aid in completing the linearly established main story.
Skyrim is an RPG game with it's central focus being the player that has any number of options to choose from, and can receive the full Skyrim experience without completing the "main questline", whereas Far Cry 3 has locked elements and components only received upon completing parts of the story.

Now what separates the quintessential RPG aspect from FC3 is the way the game uses it's mechanics to give the player the full experience it is trying to convey.

Far Cry 3 brings you it's story, main-character, and that character experiencing the standard narrative (Intro, rising action, climax etc. etc.) and the way it separates itself from a film is by giving you gaming mechanics.

Skyrim, and all RPG's, are about bringing the overall experience from the mechanics themselves and not the "narrative-factor" that encompasses most forms of media (books, movies, T.V.).

It's a pretty broad statement but I think it works, at least, for Skyrim's case.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, it's all been said before.

Skyrim is an RPG because there's a character that's always in the process of being constructed. It's an RPG because the role you're playing can be fairly deep. Not terribly deep, but still more involved in its overall workings than Jason Brody's "clueless American tourist turning into a killing machine on narrative rails" progression. It's an RPG precisely because you aren't set on a specific narrative, and because the alternatives are more than simple fetch or kill quests.

On the other hand, FarCry 3 is a shooter because for all of the incidental bits of lore you'll pick up from plants, items, car types, enemy bands and so forth, the focus clearly isn't on world-building. The focus is on providing you with a playground to use weapons in. That's it. If Skyrim chiefly focused on swordplay or archery and only painted a quick picture of its world, you'd have the Medieval Fantasy equivalent of a shooter in your hands. As it doesn't, it's not an FPS - despite being primarily viewed and controlled in first person.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
yaz1410 said:
I mean I don't fucking want to be Mr. Big Viking hero who yells at dragons and hopes to end up in Sovngard (aka "pretend Valhalla"). As far as my Dunmer character is concerned, Skyrim can fuck off, why should I save them from dragons?!
That's the beauty of Skyrim--and indeed, every Elder Scrolls game that I've played (which admittedly only goes back to Morrowind). Don't want to play the main quest? That's fine, you don't have to. What's in that cave over there--ooh, shiny! Granted, I've not played FC3 (I have far too many unfinished games on my shelf to possibly make time for another), so I don't know if it allows the same kind of gameplay. But in TES games, it's entirely permissible to partake in whatever content you like.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
Soopy said:
As I play through Farcry and develop the character, he becomes something within the world. A force within it.
I will say, with that one sentence, you've hit on my greatest beef in Skyrim--AND Morrowind AND Oblivion. You can have completed the main quest, saved the world, become--by any measure--The Ultimate Badass. You're the head of the Mages Guild, the Fighter's Guild, the Assassin's Guild, the Thieves' Guild. And in Skyrim, you can quite literally reshape reality WITH THE SOUND OF YOUR VOICE. And yet, guards and random citizens will continue to randomly shit-talk you. "Have you ever been to the Cloud District? Of course not, what was I thinking." I'm thinking you have a deathwish, you ignoramus--I'm the mothereffing DRAGONBORN! Could we please have some props for our achievements in-game?

(This is all presuming, of course, that FC3 does in fact offer this.)

Festus Moonbear

Feb 20, 2013
TimeLord75 said:
Soopy said:
I will say, with that one sentence, you've hit on my greatest beef in Skyrim--AND Morrowind AND Oblivion. You can have completed the main quest, saved the world, become--by any measure--The Ultimate Badass. You're the head of the Mages Guild, the Fighter's Guild, the Assassin's Guild, the Thieves' Guild. And in Skyrim, you can quite literally reshape reality WITH THE SOUND OF YOUR VOICE. And yet, guards and random citizens will continue to randomly shit-talk you. "Have you ever been to the Cloud District? Of course not, what was I thinking." I'm thinking you have a deathwish, you ignoramus--I'm the mothereffing DRAGONBORN! Could we please have some props for our achievements in-game?

(This is all presuming, of course, that FC3 does in fact offer this.)
Yeah, I have to agree. In fact, and this is so pathetic: when I played it for the first time after installing Hearthfire and the courier game me the letter from the Jarl of Wherever and it said 'I've heard about your famous exploits...', my heart actually jumped a bit and I thought, 'Finally, someone who recognises what a badass I am instead of making sarcastic remarks about who stole my sweetroll! By all rights I should be famous!'

FC3 does seem to do this better, but maybe a bit too far in the other direction, in that everyone thinks you're the Great White Saviour from almost the moment you arrive. Although come to think of it, it is a bit annoying to take out an outpost single-handedly and then have some prick come along and stand there going 'Who did this? ME! This is ALL ME! Who's the man? ME!' So I guess I take it back - FC3 screwed this element up, too.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
rhizhim said:
DoPo said:
Soopy said:
What do you think?
I think that I learned new stuff now - to be an RPG a game needs to look nice. And to have crafting. And the combat must be good.

So, if a game doesn't look as nice and I don't really like the combat, it's less of an RPG.

people sadly forgot that RPG stood for REALLY PERFECTESTEST GRAPHICS.

its always about the GRAPHICS!
That's why the real world is the ultimate RPG. For now. Come on, game devs - make better graphics RPGs already - you got the next console generation.

Good, good I can finally roleplay as water now.