Far Cry 4's Alternate Ending Can be Reached in Just 30 Minutes

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Depending on if I like the main ending I may consider the alternate ending the canon ending in my playthrough.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Man, now that is what I call staying in character. I'm not some kind of a hero; I'm just a guy who wants to deliver his mother's urn to the place of her birth.

I would do the same in his situation. Sure, I could play as a hero, but eh...that kind of gameplay is a dime a dozen nowadays.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I wonder if this is some tongue in cheek obedience test directed at the Call of duty generation. "Oh there was really a whole game there. You just didnt open the door to it, without instructions to do so. Tool!"

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Welp, now I don't want to fight that guy. Why? He seems alright. For a psychopathic dictator. He even treats the son of his arch-enemy really well.

RavenTail

Oct 12, 2010
I like concepts like this. Where a point in a story just let's the player end it. Is it needed? Not really but it's fun all the same. I wish more games would do this. Just give the easy way out ending for fun.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
I wonder if this is some tongue in cheek obedience test directed at the Call of duty generation. "Oh there was really a whole game there. You just didnt open the door to it, without instructions to do so. Tool!"
Disgusting design choice from the Far Cry team, how many people are going to get ripped off with only 30 mins worth of game without a "press E to continue game" prompt?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
This reminds me of the single greatest subversion in videogames up until that point and sadly pretty much up until today. The choice offered in Battlezone 2: Combat commander left me completely stunned, I had never experienced such a twist before and it left my 8 year old self in tears. Looking back there is nothing that emotional about what happened but...

You had to kill your old comrade and then three missions later you were done and the aliens were doomed to a slow and excruciating extinction, it just felt so wrong. I replayed the game back up to that point and realised I could go with her but could not fathom it being anything other than a trick. I could not be more wrong and the guilt of realising I was the bad guy was deafening.

I would have probably stayed put to see what would happen, that is how I do.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Wow. So after far cry 3 revealing that actually no one was the good guy (on account of your new native friends wanting you to kill your old friends and then killing you) now far cry 4 reveals that the bad guy ... isn't such a bad guy after all. You know what Ubi? Fuck your alternate ending. I want a whole fucking alternate campaign based on staying there insted of going out like a moronic fuck with the preservation instinct of a kamikaze pilot

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Bat Vader said:
Depending on if I like the main ending I may consider the alternate ending the canon ending in my playthrough.
I couldn't agree more with you. This "hiden" ending is what would happen if the protaganist acts like a sane person and just sits tight when asked to by a guy who clearly doesn't mean you any harm. And in the end, everything goes better than expected.

The "real" game, is some weird alternate reallity where the protaganist snaps and for some unknow reason think it's a good idea to join up with a terrorist group who wants to kill your very nice "stepdad".

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
TBH, I don't even feel like I care about the story of this game anymore, this ending is just great on its own, but if the gameplay's as good as 3, I'm in.

Gotta say though, right from the start this feels a lot better than the "oh no but the story is super deep and subtle" followed by pasting Alice in Wonderland quotes ALL OVER the game.
Ralphfromdk said:
I'm with you there. After seeing that alternate ending, I almost don't want to play the main story now.
He's actually a really nice guy when people don't try to kill him or his friends. Or blow up his country.
You as the player are ment to join some freaking terrorists, burn down half the god damn country to fight a guy who had no ill will towards you.
But... But you gotta fight the MAN though... and be edgy and cool with the terrorists instead of using reason and just doing what you went there to do.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ralphfromdk said:
Bat Vader said:
I couldn't agree more with you. This "hiden" ending is what would happen if the protaganist acts like a sane person and just sits tight when asked to by a guy who clearly doesn't mean you any harm. And in the end, everything goes better than expected.

The "real" game, is some weird alternate reallity where the protaganist snaps and for some unknow reason think it's a good idea to join up with a terrorist group who wants to kill your very nice "stepdad".
I don't know much about the main antagonist but what do the terrorists have against him though? Do they have a reason to hate him?

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Ralphfromdk said:
Ocelano said:
Josh123914 said:
I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. That's an Easter Egg.
I would gladly pay for DLC where the campaign is an off-shoot of this easter egg!

I'm with you there. After seeing that alternate ending, I almost don't want to play the main story now.
He's actually a really nice guy when people don't try to kill him or his friends. Or blow up his country.
You as the player are ment to join some freaking terrorists, burn down half the god damn country to fight a guy who had no ill will towards you. And the you will probably end up killing him, all because you misunderstoood his good intensions.

For once I'm all up for a big expensive dlc if it gives us an alternate story that continues after the ashes part.
Go shoot some guns, maybe hunt some wildlife, terrorists attack you, now you go fight them.
Even before watching the video, I had that sinking sensation that he wasn't a badguy that needed to die, but rather someone who was misunderstood and just doing the best he could the only way he knew how. And after seeing that, I know you have to kill him, and the guilt from having seen that first would drive me crazy.

The DLC really needs to pick up from that alternate ending, a lot!

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Spade Lead said:
Ralphfromdk said:
Ocelano said:
Josh123914 said:
I must say, I am thoroughly impressed. That's an Easter Egg.
I would gladly pay for DLC where the campaign is an off-shoot of this easter egg!

You as the player are ment to join some freaking terrorists, burn down half the god damn country to fight a guy who had no ill will towards you. And the you will probably end up killing him, all because you misunderstoood his good intensions.

For once I'm all up for a big expensive dlc if it gives us an alternate story that continues after the ashes part.
Go shoot some guns, maybe hunt some wildlife, terrorists attack you, now you go fight them.
Even before watching the video, I had that sinking sensation that he wasn't a badguy that needed to die, but rather someone who was misunderstood and just doing the best he could the only way he knew how. And after seeing that, I know you have to kill him, and the guilt from having seen that first would drive me crazy.

The DLC really needs to pick up from that alternate ending, a lot!
i seriously doubt the rest of the game is going to paint him as a good guy, he has superficial charm, but the scene with killing the guard at the beginning shows that he's got some serious rage issues, and the actual story of the game will likely demonstrate the whys and hows of what makes him a bad guy. I'm guessing there's going to be prison camps and mass executions involved from what I've seen of the play demos so far.

Given that this is Farcry, and they seem to be playing off the themes of Farcry 3, it's likely that the Golden Path are going to come off shady as well, but in the end, at best, it's going to be a case of no one really being the clear cut good guy and there are apparently multiple actual end game endings.

Which, if the spoilers I've read are right, actually gives you the choice in the end, in whether to kill Pagan Min or not

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Damn, what a rip off. It's not even a walking simulator! It's a f'ing sitting simulator!
Social Justice finally achieved. Generic White guy replaced with Generic Asian guy and all game play can be skipped.

EdwardBerner

Mar 28, 2012
Brilliant! I think this is what any ordinary and reasonable person would do in that situation.

I mean, 1) the guy has just practically saved your life, so you have next to no reason to expect that he'd harm you.
However, 2) he has shown to be prone to stab people with whatever sharp object he happens to have on-hand, if they don't do as he'd like them to do.
And 3) the man's face is on the bills of the place, so one'd assume that he is quite powerful.

As a result, your best bet to get back home alive is to just do as he says and stay put until he comes back.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
This kind of reminds me of Wario Land 2 for the GB Colour, that game had a number of secret exits to levels and whatnot that let you obtain different endings, one of which could be discovered by just doing nothing in the first level, just let Wario sleep, don't press any buttons and after a couple of minutes an alternative story starts. That particular one was only 7 levels long and as an offshoot of the 1st level made it the shortest route to completing the game, which you could achieve in about 60-90 minutes if you were good.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Well, now I've no inclination to play this game because this is the only ending I'd ever want to get. Nowadays I'm pretty averse to games where you kill 'real' people in large quantities (an aversion that came with my college studies) - so the option to "beat" the game as a complete pacifist is incredibly satisfying for me.

You saved me $60 Ubisoft. Thanks!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
That's pretty goddamn funny. I'm having a real hard time disliking the villain. He's clearly a bit of a nutter but in that situation i'm fairly sure i'd just sit at the table and eat the damn food.