Far Cry 5 Teaser Trailer Welcomes You to Hope, Montana

NickBrahz

New member
Mar 30, 2011
175
0
0
Voxoid said:
Why not just release Far Cry 5 as an audio+texture DLC pack for Far Cry 3/4? From what I remember, Far Cry 4 was basically just a re-skin of Far Cry 3 with a few extra bits tacked on, like rappelling etc.
Why sell a re-skin for DLC prices when you can sell it as "new" for $60+ and people will still buy it.
 

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
1,022
0
0
The Rogue Wolf said:
But does it have towers? I mean, it just isn't a Far Cry game unless it's got towers you have to find and climb! Does Montana even have a lot of towers?
I'm betting it'll be church bell towers. Calling it now,


OT.
Eh I liked 3, and 4 was ok too. Might give this a closer look when more info comes out.
 

lionsprey

New member
Sep 20, 2010
430
0
0
could be interesting. but i wonder how they are going to justify the usual amount of violence in far cry. i would love to shoot some religous rednecks after outlast 2 though
 

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
17,001
1,070
118
Country
Argentina
LysanderNemoinis said:
While I have no doubt this game will be as blatantly anti-American and/or anti-southern as you can get,
Montana is in the north.
 

Blacklight28

New member
Nov 27, 2013
118
0
0
Voxoid said:
Why not just release Far Cry 5 as an audio+texture DLC pack for Far Cry 3/4? From what I remember, Far Cry 4 was basically just a re-skin of Far Cry 3 with a few extra bits tacked on, like rappelling etc.
Fucking thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only on who noticed.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
The Rogue Wolf said:
But does it have towers? I mean, it just isn't a Far Cry game unless it's got towers you have to find and climb! Does Montana even have a lot of towers?
Church towers. They got those in Montana, right?
 

Blazing Hero

New member
Feb 20, 2015
158
0
0
Oh god we get to see how Ubisoft views Rural America.... My guess is that their idea of research was watching Deliverance in the office. =/
 

Erttheking

Member
Legacy
Apr 23, 2020
10,845
1
3
Country
United States
LysanderNemoinis said:
erttheking said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
erttheking said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
erttheking said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
While I have no doubt this game will be as blatantly anti-American and/or anti-southern as you can get, there's part of me that nurses the hope the game's about an American liberating his state from Antifa by any means necessary. After all, unlike said fascist thugs, I prefer to take out any anger I may have on one and zeroes rather than innocent people.
Talks about how it's going to be anti south. Talks about how he hopes it's going to be about anti fascists (liberals?) so he can kill them. Because I guess the first isn't acceptable but the second is?
Both are acceptable because it's just media and unlike the social justice types, I don't freak out if someone disagrees with me or if there's a game that doesn't conform to my worldview. I personally find BioShock Infinite a generic shooter with a predictable, boring, P.C. story, but pointing that out isn't complaining. Neither is saying that the new Far Cry isn't going to be anything but the same anti-Christian/anti-southern crap we always see in media. I was just hoping that if we are going to get a game where the goal is to massacre fake people, it might be a bit interesting to for once have a little diversity in bad guys. And honestly, I thought the left is all about that.
Three things. One, there are plenty of games were you fight leftists. Bioshock Infinite comes to mind. Two, in Montana I think we know which end of the spectrum is in control and has guns, which are needed for Far Cry, and it's not left wingers. Three, I was mainly concerned with you actively wanting to kill American left wingers. I mean, I didn't download Bioshock thinking "time to kill some right wing scum." It's just a bit...extreme. IMHO.
Well, I hope you're just as worried about all the people in this thread getting all excited about killing religious conservatives. And while you may not have thought that booting up BioShock Infinite, I'm sure my friend Saelune was positively orgasmic, as he already is about this game.
None of them have talked about wanting to kill conservatives, just that it's interesting to see them as bad guys. Big effing difference.
Right, because in video games, you as the player gets to always talk down the bad guys and teach them the error of their ways non-violently. The "bad guys" are the people you as the player kill. Finding it interesting to see X group as the bad guys or to quote an above poster to feel catharsis from having said group as the bad guys implicitly means you're looking forward to killing them in a video game, which makes little effing difference.

I could also make the point that my desire to inflict harm on imaginary members of Antifa is different from left wingers because the majority of liberals are NOT rioting and beating the shit out on innocent people on a regularly basis - they just happen to hold views I don't agree with. A closer equivalent would be liberals looking forward to beating up the twenty or so slack-jawed morons of the Westboro Baptist Church, because the vast majority of people on the right (myself included) hate those assholes too. Between the two groups, you're much more likely to be hurt by some jack-booted, black-masked thug than some toothless bumpkin. And as much as I hate them, to my knowledge the WBC have not actually physically hurt anyone whereas Antifa leaves bloody people wherever they go.
Nice strawman. All I said is that it's a bit extreme to want to play a game purely to kill someone because of their politics. These people aren't literal Nazis you know. And no, you can find it interesting to fight a certain type of enemy without salivating over the concept of killing them. I think you're projecting.

Yeah, and it'd be fucking weird the other way around too. Also there's a hell of a lot more right wing extremists than the WBC, and they tend to have more guns than left wing extremists.
 

hermes

New member
Mar 2, 2009
3,865
0
0
Adam Jensen said:
Oh, so it's a game about killing religious fanatics in 'Murica? That ought to be interesting. And potentially controversial. God I hope it's controversial.
It is Ubisoft, so I expect the bare minimum of bland controversial content; you know, the kind that thinks naming things without actually addressing them or taking a stand counts as political commentary: "Racism, that is a thing. And extremists, that is a thing too. Moving on, now climb that tower and kill three deer for a new wallet..."; needs to put a disclaimer in case modern British colonialists or the fan club of Pope Alexander VI will get offended; and will caricaturize these zealots so much that even Christians will feel no remorse seeing them as the villains.

Sure, it is going to have religious zealots, but I am willing to bet they will be closer to Silent Hill cultists or Texas Chainsaw and The Hills Have Eyes villains than actual Christian zealots.
 

KayeFaye

New member
Jul 28, 2015
30
0
0
It's gunna take a lot more than a potentially interesting setting to get my hopes up. I also feel that the "Evil Christian Cult sect" is a bit... old at this point. It's low hanging fruit now. If the game actually tries to revitalize it a bit like Far Cry 3 did, maybe it could work - but knowing UbiSoft, it'll be the same ol' formula.
 
Feb 7, 2016
728
0
0
I'm still a bit burned from Far Cry 4 still not working properly on my computer.

The game still hitches and stutters, even when I upgraded to a 980ti and a much more powerful CPU.

Not to mention, it really wasn't that great.

However, I still have good memories of Far Cry 2 and 3, so I'm holding out for now. This is your chance to earn back a fan.
 
Jan 12, 2012
2,114
0
0
Bindal said:
Not so much of a "Far" Cry anymore this time, now is it?
Montana is just as mythical a place to me as Kyrat.
Chimpzy said:
Church towers. They got those in Montana, right?
x EvilErmine x said:
I'm betting it'll be church bell towers. Calling it now,
Grain elevators if they feel like handling the situation with a small bit of taste, but almost certainly it will be bell towers (and the achievement for getting them all will be called Steeplechaser).
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
And now to address the elephant in the room:
Would it be MORE or LESS controversial to set it somewhere in the Middle East with extremist Muslims as the villains?
 

Omey

New member
Apr 8, 2011
112
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
And now to address the elephant in the room:
Would it be MORE or LESS controversial to set it somewhere in the Middle East with extremist Muslims as the villains?
Just stop and think about how many video games have already been made about loonies in the middle east. What makes you think that another game with middle eastern Muslim terrorists as the bad guys is going to be more controversial? That IS the norm. Asking this question is either bait that I caught or you are really really oblivious.
 

Xorph

New member
Aug 24, 2010
295
0
0
Omey said:
Darth_Payn said:
And now to address the elephant in the room:
Would it be MORE or LESS controversial to set it somewhere in the Middle East with extremist Muslims as the villains?
Just stop and think about how many video games have already been made about loonies in the middle east. What makes you think that another game with middle eastern Muslim terrorists as the bad guys is going to be more controversial? That IS the norm. Asking this question is either bait that I caught or you are really really oblivious.
Do me a big fave and name 7 or so games where middle-easterners are the main villians because all that comes to mind is Modern Warfare 1 and as an earlier post mentioned, they were just distractions from the russian extremists being the main villians.

Legit not trying to pull the sarcastic "Name 5 that do that" thing I honestly play so few military shooters that I wouldn't know.
 

pookie101

New member
Jul 5, 2015
1,162
0
0
Darth_Payn said:
And now to address the elephant in the room:
Would it be MORE or LESS controversial to set it somewhere in the Middle East with extremist Muslims as the villains?
less.. seen that dozens of times in game
 

4Aces

New member
May 29, 2012
180
0
0
I thought this thread would be ripping on Ubi for pretending this was all in-game footage. Color me surprised.
As for the game, I will wait for reviews. After FC4, I am expecting very little. What kind of dev sends the message that the best way to play their game is to not actually play it? After Primal, we know they just do not care to even hide it behind a 10 minutes of waiting room simulator.
 

Omey

New member
Apr 8, 2011
112
0
0
Xorph said:
Omey said:
Darth_Payn said:
And now to address the elephant in the room:
Would it be MORE or LESS controversial to set it somewhere in the Middle East with extremist Muslims as the villains?
Just stop and think about how many video games have already been made about loonies in the middle east. What makes you think that another game with middle eastern Muslim terrorists as the bad guys is going to be more controversial? That IS the norm. Asking this question is either bait that I caught or you are really really oblivious.
Do me a big fave and name 7 or so games where middle-easterners are the main villians because all that comes to mind is Modern Warfare 1 and as an earlier post mentioned, they were just distractions from the russian extremists being the main villians.

Legit not trying to pull the sarcastic "Name 5 that do that" thing I honestly play so few military shooters that I wouldn't know.
Medal of Honor
Arma
Army of Two
Battlefield 3
Delta Force
Full Spectrum Warrior
Splinter Cell: Blacklist

I see the point though that none of these games have really focussed on the jihad aspect of Islam. It is always a mixture of power and religion rather than just religion. Now that I think about it, it would be interesting to have a game with a total religious nutjob Muslim villain that really dives deep into the phenomenon of religious extremism in Islam.