Far Cry 6 Impressions - Amazon broke street date!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You know, sometimes pre-ordering will get you lucky. Amazon delivered my copy of Far Cry 6 this morning a day early. They must know I'm the greatest reviewer that nobody has ever heard of and hooked me up.

So Far Cry 6 then.

Well Far Cry 6 takes the series from Montana somewhere in the 5th game to Not-Cuba for the 6th entry in the mainline series. Right off the gate my biggest problem with Far Cry 5 is fixed in 6 in that your character is voiced fully. The Deputy was impossible to relate too and the plight of rural Montana was impossible to get into for me, with a silent protagonist. So i was happy to see my character talking with people and getting immediately invested in the goings on of Not-Cuba.

Originally I thought we were going to play the son of the big bad guy played by that Breaking-Bad guy, whom we saw plastered all over the promotional material of the game. But no you play a member of the rebel group trying to take the Not-Cuban leader down. What is very different about Far Cry 6 from other Far Cry games is that the big bad evil guy in this game isn't really important to you. Vaas, Pagan Min, Joseph Seed, all of these bad guys knew you and were actively after you throughout the majority of previous FC games. But not here. I'm four hours into the game and I'm 99% sure that the Not-Cuban leader doesn't even know I exist. Sure he knows that the rebels are taking down his men in places, but the majority of his story seems to be around grooming his son to grow up and take his place, and the actions we take as a player aren't of much concern to him right now. I'm sure that will change later though.

And that is it for the differences of Far Cry 6. Other than the story, if you've played any of the previous FC games, then you know what FC6 is gonna be. And it's pretty fun, all things considered. People can bang on about Ubisoft's copy/paste formula all they want, you gotta give it to them in one regard...the shit works. FC6 isn't special, but it is exactly what you would expect and want from a FC game and maybe that is fine. Ubisoft games are starting to become like fast food games for me. They'll never break the mold or really stand out, but they are pretty reliable to be exactly what i expect and fun enough to get me by for a while, so I don't know that I can even complain about them.

Okay maybe there is one thing that sucks. For whatever reason, maybe for the sake of trying to be different, FC6 includes different ammo types. A system a lot like that shitty Wolfenstein game with the twin daughters, in which you have a few different ammo types that work on different enemies. That system in here in FC6 and it's still bad. Heavy ammo for armored dudes, Heavier ammo for trucks and helicopters, and light ammo that is worthless outside of armorless gits who should be in a gunfight anyway. The system creates unneeded management that just ruins a lot of the run and gun fun of previous FC games. And sometimes the game will throw shit at you when you've just run out of the proper armor type to deal with them, like the AI knows how to fuck you over. Fuck you AI.

There are admittedly a lot of toys to load yourself out and with planning the ammo thing isn't much bigger of a deal than maybe using a gun you aren't a big fan of for certain fights. This might really end up pissing me off later, but for now I'm only mildly annoyed by it.

TL;DR Far Cry 6 is more Far Cry and it's fun for what that usually is. A bit of extra systems on the top that are pointless like a bad pizza topping, but not ultimately experience ruining.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
TL;DR Far Cry 6 is more Far Cry and it's fun for what that usually is.
That's what this review said:

I quit Far Cry 3 when the only interesting character in it died, and I've felt absolutely no desire to take the series back up again. When it comes to Far Cry, I'm all cried out.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That's what this review said:

I quit Far Cry 3 when the only interesting character in it died, and I've felt absolutely no desire to take the series back up again. When it comes to Far Cry, I'm all cried out.
I figure that is what a lot of people will say review-wise honestly.

For me, it is like I said above. Junk food. Much in the same way Call of Duty is the same thing every year. I always find myself enjoying these Far Cry games for a while because for what they are they are fun, and sometimes the brainless fun is all I need to have a good time with a game.

I think the best practice for Far Cry, and also CoD's Tbh, is to maybe pick up every OTHER entry into the series. I never actually played 4, because it was spoiled very early and I wasn't really interested in it. But I bought 5, then skipped that spin off one New Dawn I think it was called. And then I picked this one up because I feel like there has been a big enough gap of time since I last got into a FC.

But yeah because of their samey nature I do feel like skipping every other entry is a nice compromise if you like the games. Even if you are a big fan, the lack of or medicore multiplayer in a given entry doesn't really give them the same yearly buying power that CoD has.

It is what it is i guess.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’ve only played through the first two Far Cry games. Am I missing anything worthwhile? According to a general consensus of youtube comments from diehard fans, it hasn’t seemed like it. At least on PC.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
How are the RPG elements? Probably the biggest thing turning me off from the latest Ubisoft games. Healthbars in a game like Far Cry is ridiculous, though I hear it's not as bad as New Dawn. I think I saw a clip somewhere of some goon surviving getting shot in the head. Is that something that really happens?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How are the RPG elements? Probably the biggest thing turning me off from the latest Ubisoft games. Healthbars in a game like Far Cry is ridiculous, though I hear it's not as bad as New Dawn. I think I saw a clip somewhere of some goon surviving getting shot in the head. Is that something that really happens?
Yes it can. It isnt a realistic shooter by any means. The rpg elements are light but it is that ammo system that really bogs things down.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still not touching the game series from these assholes. The last game I played was FC2 and a demo of Blood Dragon. I preferred Instincts anyway. Same shit, different setting.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
This is the exact reason why I didn't begrudge (and hell, even liked) Fallout 4 when it came out.

It tried to do something new with the same story. Irradiated wasteland, blah, blah, blah. You're the one hero that everyone depends on, but after their one mission, you've saved the town forever from any blight the apocalypse has to offer.

But no. This time, you're actually not only building their homes and very survival, but you're continually protecting them. Helping them protect themselves. Actually maintaining communities and building trade. With some refinement and actual God Damned Powers for once (I've read Spiderman, and I know radiation + bug bites = superpowers), Fallout 4 could have been my Perpetual Game. It took a concept I knew well and made me actually care about my actions save for if I was going to get enough experience and/or loot.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This is the exact reason why I didn't begrudge (and hell, even liked) Fallout 4 when it came out.

It tried to do something new with the same story. Irradiated wasteland, blah, blah, blah. You're the one hero that everyone depends on, but after their one mission, you've saved the town forever from any blight the apocalypse has to offer.

But no. This time, you're actually not only building their homes and very survival, but you're continually protecting them. Helping them protect themselves. Actually maintaining communities and building trade. With some refinement and actual God Damned Powers for once (I've read Spiderman, and I know radiation + bug bites = superpowers), Fallout 4 could have been my Perpetual Game. It took a concept I knew well and made me actually care about my actions save for if I was going to get enough experience and/or loot.
I totally forgot to mention the base building stuff. Yeah you can build stuff as a "base" but this is basically just menu options for bonuses and little else. They could have taken this idea a lot further and had you building a stronghold in Not-Cuba to fight back against the warlord and made it really interesting. Instead i forgot it is a thing.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yes it can. It isnt a realistic shooter by any means. The rpg elements are light but it is that ammo system that really bogs things down.
I'm not too bothered about realism, but lining up a headshot and not being rewarded with a kill sounds very unsatisfying. But as long as it's not as bad as snapping a guys neck in AssCreed without killing, shouldn't be too big of a deal.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not too bothered about realism, but lining up a headshot and not being rewarded with a kill sounds very unsatisfying. But as long as it's not as bad as snapping a guys neck in AssCreed without killing, shouldn't be too big of a deal.
Yeah the headshot thing is less important in this game where the idea is to run around and cause chaos much in the same way you would do in a Just Cause game. The enemies still die easily from stealth takedowns and things of that nature. Otherwise it's just a crazy wild fire fight and you are not likely to overly notice headshots not being instant death because you'll be running around to avoid getting turned into swiss cheese.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
On one hand, I'm sure I'd have fun with FC6. On the other, I'm also sure I'd get more or less exactly the same experience just replaying FC5.

Not gonna buy it. This month, it's gonna be The Good Life.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On one hand, I'm sure I'd have fun with FC6. On the other, I'm also sure I'd get more or less exactly the same experience just replaying FC5.

The best thing about a new Ubisoft game coming out is that the previous games get cheaper :)

Reactions: Kwak

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

The Good Life game that just came out? I played the Demo on steam just this weekend. Not sure how I feel about it honestly.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Though it's now modded to hell and back (Love ya Resistance) I still get pretty good experiences out of 5.

So like 5, I'm going to give this a couple of years, see if any fan patches fix things, then pick it up.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I was expecting a Far Cry 5 like evolution in the series. I guess I will hold off until a deal.