Far Cry Classic Revives Far Cry For The XBLA

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Far Cry Classic Revives Far Cry For The XBLA

In an effort to cash in on the modern popularity of the Far Cry franchise, Ubisoft has decided to recreate the original entry for the Xbox Live Arcade.

Where do you go from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? Apparently Ubisoft's answer is "back to the beginning."

Far Cry Classic is, as its name suggests, a remake of the original Far Cry scheduled for release on the Xbox Live Arcade at some point this summer. Little is known of the game, but Ubisoft describes it as the "ultimate" version of Far Cry released to date. The title will set you back $7 whenever it comes available.

As the original version of Far Cry made its PC debut way back in 2004, it's helpful to remember that the game isn't really that similar to its successors. Far Cry relied on its massive vistas and gorgeous (for the time) graphics to woo players, but elements like spreading fires and wildlife weren't introduced to the series until Far Cry 2. By comparison, Far Cry plays like a particularly engrossing shooter of its era instead of the open-world survivalist fantasies its sequels would become.

Still, it's a very solid shooter (as long as you ignore the nosedive the story takes toward the latter half of the game), and depending on what enhancements the Xbox Live Arcade incarnation sees, that $7 price tag could be very enticing. We'll bring you more as it emerges.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Doyle, my arm is turning green.

I'd buy it, but I still have the original, on a DVD on my book shelf, right next to BF2 and Quake 4. It's got to be near the high point of single player shooters, story aside, the levels were great, even if you did end up cowering from a giant Monkey-thing with a bazooka quite often.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know, if they make a trailer, I hope the first words out of Jack's mouth are "Did you have to keep the shirt?" (in reference to his iconic red Hawaiian shirt, which isn't very stealthy or fashionable these days)

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Good god, I hated the original FarCry. To this day, I still think that it's the worst game in the entire series. The console spin-offs gave you fun mutant powers, FarCry 2 had the very immersive presentation, and FarCry 3 was basically Skyrim with guns.

As for the original? If I never have to worry about being sniped by some merc in a guard tower with a rocket launcher, who is so far away that even on max settings I can't actually see the damn tower (just the train of 2 dozen rockets mid-air spelling my doom), then it will be too soon. The psychic bullshit AI killed the first game, and I'll never play it again. Also, his red Hawaiian shirt can bite me...

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
The story takes a nose dive halfway through? Haha, how did you not think the narrative was supposed to be glorious camp from minute one? Like, the cheeseball acting, dialog, Hawaiian shirt, and "random Marine gets rocket launched out of his fishing boat ends up on secretive mercenary island" was alright with you until a mutant showed up?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
EvolutionKills said:
Good god, I hated the original FarCry. To this day, I still think that it's the worst game in the entire series. The console spin-offs gave you fun mutant powers, FarCry 2 had the very immersive presentation, and FarCry 3 was basically Skyrim with guns.

As for the original? If I never have to worry about being sniped by some merc in a guard tower with a rocket launcher, who is so far away that even on max settings I can't actually see the damn tower (just the train of 2 dozen rockets mid-air spelling my doom), then it will be too soon. The psychic bullshit AI killed the first game, and I'll never play it again. Also, his red Hawaiian shirt can bite me...
I agree, I played Evolutions first and was THRILLED with it. I then found Instincts and loved it as well. So then I tracked down the first game('first' to me anyway) and tried it and absolutely hated it.

To this day when I think of Farcry 1, I think of Instincts and Evolution.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
So wait it's just a remake or the original Far Cry, not Instincts? If that is indeed to case then I'm not really interested.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So going back to far cry thats actualyl far cry and not a new game with same title? yeah okay.

EvolutionKills said:
YOu hated far cry. you liekd far cry 2. you are whats wrong with gaming.

EvolutionKills

Jul 20, 2008
Strazdas said:
So going back to far cry thats actualyl far cry and not a new game with same title? yeah okay.

EvolutionKills said:
YOu hated far cry. you liekd far cry 2. you are whats wrong with gaming.

Well, excuse me for having an opinion contrary to your own! Oh great and powerful king gamer, would you be so kind as to deign us with your profound, and no doubt expertly researched, opinion on gaming? Us simpletons who have played the games and came to our own conclusions about them, indeed our very own opinions, appear to be so very wrong about what we think about our own experiences! Fortunately we have you, the great king of games, to help set us all right with your desired and correct opinions! Thank goodness we have you, or else we might have to think for ourselves!

Or, you know, you could kindly shut the hell up. Thanks.