Far Cry Primal Gets Survival Mode and 4K Textures

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Far Cry Primal Gets Survival Mode and 4K Textures

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1312/1312194.jpgUbisoft has added a Survival Mode and 4K support as free content for Far Cry: Primal.

If you've been looking for a bit more challenge in Far Cry: Primal, Ubisoft has you covered. They've added a free Survival Mode with a permadeath option.

It also adds a stamina bar that will run out as time passes. Replenishing the bar requires the player to sleep. The minimap is turned off by default, and the amount of the fog of war removed by exploration will be much less.

Other changes include the addition of a timer to ammo crafting, as well as the player now being more vulnerable to cold. Most importantly, it weakens tamed beasts, and makes acquiring them harder.

All the info on the Survival Mode can be found in the Ubi blog post [http://blog.ubi.com/survivor-mode-coming-to-far-cry-primal/] on the subject.

You can even fire up your 4K monitors, as this patch also added the 4K textures to the game.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I would have to wait to find more information about how it all works, but if the survival mode is actually balanced and not just thrown in there without thought then I'm actually somewhat interested. It sounds like it adds enough challenge mix things up a bit, the only problem is that the idea of permadeath seems like it would clash horribly with Ubisoft's fetish for tedious lists of chores to complete. I don't really want to collect 79/80 meaningless collectables only to fall off a cliff and die.
I guess it seems like it would be better for free roaming rather than completing the main story, but isn't the content normally gated behind story progress?

The more I think about this, actually, the less it seems to make sense.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
FirstNameLastName said:
I would have to wait to find more information about how it all works, but if the survival mode is actually balanced and not just thrown in there without thought then I'm actually somewhat interested. It sounds like it adds enough challenge mix things up a bit, the only problem is that the idea of permadeath seems like it would clash horribly with Ubisoft's fetish for tedious lists of chores to complete. I don't really want to collect 79/80 meaningless collectables only to fall off a cliff and die.
I guess it seems like it would be better for free roaming rather than completing the main story, but isn't the content normally gated behind story progress?

The more I think about this, actually, the less it seems to make sense.
It does say "With a Permadeath Option" so u might be able to play survival with infinite respawns like normal.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Ubisoft Blog said:
If you go for the ultimate challenge ? activating Survivor mode, playing on expert difficulty and activating permadeath ? you have the hardest and most insane challenge possible for the game, and there?s a special reward at the moment you complete the game. I won?t spoil it.
Yeah... I'm going to need someone to spoil that for me before activating a bullshit ironman mode in a difficulty where you can be killed in an instant.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ffronw said:
You can even fire up your 4K monitors, as this patch also added the 4K textures to the game.
Thats not how it works. 4k textures are the detail level of textures applied on objects. you do not need a 4k monitor to benefit from 4k textures. in fact with 4k textures even a 1080p monitor users would benefit greatly when looking at objects from upclose.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Strazdas said:
ffronw said:
Thats not how it works. 4k textures are the detail level of textures applied on objects. you do not need a 4k monitor to benefit from 4k textures. in fact with 4k textures even a 1080p monitor users would benefit greatly when looking at objects from upclose.
While that's true, if you're one of those people who invested the scratch in a 4K monitor, it's nice to have someone actually include 4K textures. Not that I'm bitter about the number of games without 4K textures or anything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ffronw said:
Strazdas said:
ffronw said:
While that's true, if you're one of those people who invested the scratch in a 4K monitor, it's nice to have someone actually include 4K textures. Not that I'm bitter about the number of games without 4K textures or anything.
Yes, but you seem to be using 4K textures and 4k monitor interchangeably in the article and thats not how game texturing works. If its textures only used for far distance objects than a 4K monitor wont benefit, and if its a close distance textures than a 1080p one would benefit even from 16k textures. Games already have variuos textures for variuos distances. Most modern games have 4k textures on player character in 3rd person games since players spend almost entire game staring at them.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ffronw said:
Not that I'm bitter about the number of games without 4K textures or anything.
There's a quite a few 4k texture mods for Skyrim and Fallout 4. Only problem with Fallout 4's is that since there is no creation kit yet, they are not compressed in to a BSA, which means a couple GB worth of images in your data folder, which will increase area transition load times in game.

I think in order to see the benefit of 4k textures, you will need a monitor that is 27" or greater in size.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Charcharo said:
ffronw said:
Strazdas said:
snip
4K textures do not need a 4K monitor. You can put 8k and 16k and 32k textures and it will be view able even on a smaller screen.
A 4K screen also does not need 4K textures at all.
I support the motion to edit the article to be less incorrect.

OT: Here's a quote from the article about how taming has been changed:
Mikel Reparaz said:
The most powerful beasts you control, like sabretooths and bears, will not let themselves be tamed so easily. You're going to have to fight them up to the moment that they are at half-life, then bait them and tame them.
Honestly this is how it should have been from the start (and for all 'modes'). The system they revealed where you walk up to an animal and press a button was laughable at best, and uninteresting, anti-immersive at worst. I was really disappointed when I saw it, I got completely turned off from the game. New method still doesn't sound quite perfect but it's a huge improvement.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
Excellent news ! a new prehistoric challenge, such a mode is essential for this game! Finally a real immersion in perspective!