Far Cry Primal Review - Sticks And Stones Will Break Your Bones

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Far Cry Primal Review - Sticks And Stones Will Break Your Bones

Far Cry Primal is the Stone Age survival game we never expected from the Triple A industry, complete with a lush prehistoric world you can explore for hours.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Woah, hot shit, a good reboot. I might have to look this one up...eventually...if it isn't shackled to Ubisoft's DRM.

EDIT: On second thought, not a chance. And that's an eyebrow-raising score.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I told myself I wasn't going to buy this... but looks like I am then. Gameplay looks fun and it's cavemen killing other cavemen. I gotta give it a go.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Wonder if we are going to see more games in this setting now, given the thread of "Follow the Leader" in AAA Gaming.

Still, might want to check this out now, though if there was ever a time to do a sequel to Far Cry: Blood Dragon, this would be the time.
Seriously, I hope I wasn't the only one thinking how this game would look with 80s Neon and Lasers XD

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I've been hearing a lot of mixed things. It seems like the gimmick would wear off pretty quickly to me. I get the sense the novelty of being in the stone age would last about the length of a downloadable game, but I'm not sure it can carry a whole product.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Barbas said:
Woah, hot shit, a good reboot. I might have to look this one up...eventually...if it isn't shackled to Ubisoft's DRM.
Its not a reboot, its just another one in the franchise. Every Far Cry game so far has been different from the previous one, but with a huge amount of copy-paste in engine and mechanics since 3.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
Wonder if we are going to see more games in this setting now, given the thread of "Follow the Leader" in AAA Gaming.
I'd actually really love to see a stone-age RPG of some kind. I think the setting is too limiting to have too many copy-cats (not that this fact always stops people trying of course) since there are no guns, vehicles or buildings.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
I predict that if this (and the upcoming Horizon: Zero Dawn) sells well, we'll see a swell of prehistoric settings.

Apr 25, 2009
slo said:
If you like Far Cry and survival games and hulk-speak and know absolutely nothing about anthropology and/or cavemen.
Because really no one behaves like cavemen in this game. It doesn't look like a traditional society either. Just a bunch or modern people talking funny.
I doubt anyone is claiming this is realistic. It's HYPER stylised. Basically fantasy. Am I seeing 'bee grenades' from that screenshot? Sabertooth skull helmet?

Dango said:
I've been hearing a lot of mixed things. It seems like the gimmick would wear off pretty quickly to me. I get the sense the novelty of being in the stone age would last about the length of a downloadable game, but I'm not sure it can carry a whole product.
I don't see why not, it really depends on if you like this stuff to begin with. I could spend hours in a sandbox survival primitive world. It was definitely a brave move though.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Barbas said:
So, never then?

I'm not sure Primal should be such a huge surprise after Blood Dragon. Whoever at Ubisoft is in charge of Far Cry clearly has more stomach for out there concepts than most. Although I wonder if Primal is worth the full price they're releasing it at. ?55 is a lot if the game wears thin before the end.

Apr 25, 2009
slo said:
Digi7 said:
I doubt anyone is claiming this is realistic. It's HYPER stylised. Basically fantasy. Am I seeing 'bee grenades' from that screenshot? Sabertooth skull helmet?
I'm actually quite okay with that. Except maybe for the hulk speak. I wish there was an option to switch subtitles to literary language.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Me caveman, kill mammoth" style speak either. It's silly and cartoony. I get that it's just to represent the simplicity of language but it sounds very childish and there are other ways to do that.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i dont know. i really disliked the first farcry game. skipped out on part 2 because of that, then so many talk positive about 3 and it did look like a fun title, but after quarter through, i started to lose fun and in the end i just rushed to the end. had no fun at all. blood dragon indeed looked like some crazy 80s style shooter so i got it, but again, fun at the beginning but lost it pretty quickly that i rushed to the end again.
so i guess this will be the same again for this title. better keep my fingers of it. i dont know why but the farcry franchise just isnt growing on me.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Broslinger said:
4.5 of 5 right? So almost as good as DRagon Age 2. I might need to pick it up.
It's been 5 years. Half a decade.

Maybe it's time to let that go.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Digi7 said:
slo said:
Digi7 said:
I'm actually quite okay with that. Except maybe for the hulk speak. I wish there was an option to switch subtitles to literary language.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of "Me caveman, kill mammoth" style speak either. It's silly and cartoony. I get that it's just to represent the simplicity of language but it sounds very childish and there are other ways to do that.
I don't see how eloquent cavemen can be less silly sounding than simple cavemen. Ooh eloquent cavemen sounds like a great name for a band! *Scribbles in notepad*

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I may end up buying this game for my PS4 if it doesn't require Uplay one way or another.

The fact that you can tame animals is pretty awesome if you ask me.

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
SKBPinkie said:
Broslinger said:
It's been 5 years. Half a decade.

Maybe it's time to let that go.
Let what go? I'm just excited for another great game recommended by the highly trusted staff at the escapist!

Can you tame a mammoth in it?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Broslinger said:
From the disappointed comments I'm already reading about the game, you may be closer to the mark than you think with that. The game appears to be an overpriced retread that brings little to the table in terms of new elements and is missing some of the old ones that made Far Cry 4 entertaining, like the co-op. I don't think it's Dragon Age 2 bad, but anyone looking for Blood Dragon may be thoroughly let down.

No radio towers, but there is a low-tech equivalent. Also shackled to uPlay.