Far Cry: Primal's Stone Age Includes Sabretooth Tigers And Woolly Mammoths

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Far Cry: Primal's Stone Age Includes Sabretooth Tigers And Woolly Mammoths

Far Cry: Primal takes players to the Stone Age, where sabretooth tigers and woolly mammoths are among the least of your problems.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/far%20cry?from_search=1&&os=far+cry>Far Cry has a pretty simple formula for each game - drop players into distant, unfamiliar lands to face wild animals and deadly human threats. But last January, Ubisoft considered taking the series in amazingly outrageous directions, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139302-Ubisoft-Polls-Fans-on-Next-Far-Cry-Settingsome of which included dinosaurs. Now Ubisoft has revealed the next Far Cry game, and dinosaurs sadly aren't included... but many other prehistoric creatures are. Far Cry: Primal heads back to 10,000 BC, when direwolves, sabertooth tigers, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132558-Woolly-Mammoth-Clones-Arriving-Soon>freaking woolly mammoths were very real concerns.

"Stone Age is the perfect setting for a Far Cry game," Ubisoft creative director Jean-Christophe Guyot explained. "Far Cry usually puts you at the edge of the known world, in a beautiful, lawless and savage frontier. The Stone Age is, in a way, the very first frontier for humankind; it's the time when humans put a stick in the ground and claimed land for their own, the time when we started climbing the food chain. That came with conflict, against other humans of course, but also against nature itself."

Far Cry: Primal is set in Oros, a pristine land where humans are absolutely not the dominant species. You play as Takkar, the last surviving member of a hunting party who agrees to help the locals tame the environment. But many obstacles stand in your way, ranging from opposing tribes to enormous direworlves. To survive, Takkar will need to hunt, create fire, and take a stand against the enemies competing for Oros.

Much of Far Cry's recent gameplay will carry over to Primal, including the ability to craft weapons and tools from slain animals. You'll also stalk enemy outposts, develop your tribe, and master fire to expand tactical options. Fire has the benefit of scaring away nighttime predators, for example, but you can also set your weapon ablaze to increase your damage.

[gallery=4821]

Modern vehicles won't be included, of course, but we might have something better - prehistoric animal companions. Far Cry: Primal's box art includes an image of Takkar standing beside a sabertooth tiger while they face a woolly mammoth. If accurate, I can't decide which prospect is more exciting: Befriending tigers, or riding woolly mammoths into battle.

Far Cry: Primal arrives on PS4 and Xbox One this Feb. 23, 2016, and will get a PC release the following March. More details for the game will follow as they become available.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
That sounds really cool. Between this and For Honor, Ubisoft are getting pretty creative, and actually making up for the fact that they suck like 95% of the time. Ever since their E3 conference they've seemed pretty dedicated to not sucking so hard.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I guess this means there can't be any radio towers in it, right?

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
This is awesome! I honestly can't remember the last game where I played as a caveman, and Far Cry 3 (and by extension 4 as well) was excellent.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
IceForce said:
Not directly, but something working as them. Probably just giant trees.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they STILL threw in actual radio towers and a few guns and declare that the Main Character is actually a Time Traveler stranded in those times or something.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Bindal said:
IceForce said:

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they STILL threw in actual radio towers and a few guns and declare that the Main Character is actually a Time Traveler stranded in those times or something.
Maybe in a DLC that's as ludicrous in terms of story and as fun to play as Blood Dragon.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
so... Turok HD?
fuck yeah, I could always go for that
wonder how will they handle the weaponry though, having the same 4 weapons will probably get pretty stale

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Looks promising, but I've enjoyed Far Cry 3 and 4, so I'm a bit pre-swayed, so to speak. (I've also now played Far Cry and FC 2, and... I've enjoyed 3 and 4...!)

At last there will finally be a half-credible reason why you're doing all this hunting instead of pursuing the allegedly more urgent story-line.

As for dinosaurs, guns, time travel et. al... This sounds like a really good argument for spinning off Primal into Blood Dragon 2 or its equivalent.

Oh, and incidentally: trailer after spoiler tag.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
But...now, how am i supposed to scope out an enemy base with my custom painted overpowered sniper rifle called Cecilia?

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
So its ARK then. Only that fighting against animals was always a pain in the dick in FC and was only done as long as necessary to get the upgrades to fight the much more interesting humans.
Not convinced. Will see.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wow, just wow. They took a series that started as mercenaries fighting in third world countries, to white boys going native, and are now going to cavemen. This series makes no fucking sense at all.

But this sounds awesome and I'm actually curious as to how they're going to make this work. Just using bows, spears, and axes may get boring kinda quickly.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'm hoping they expand on the grappling system FC4 had to the point where you can swing between trees and such.

teh_Canape said:
so... Turok HD?
fuck yeah, I could always go for that
wonder how will they handle the weaponry though, having the same 4 weapons will probably get pretty stale
Well I'm going to guess the game is going to have a very extensive crafting system in addition to potential actual melee combat.
songnar said:
Weapon selection: Fist. Rock. Spear. Stone hatchet. Atlatl.
Pssst, bow and arrow. I think that may be what he actually had on his back.
Dango said:
That sounds really cool. Between this and For Honor, Ubisoft are getting pretty creative, and actually making up for the fact that they suck like 95% of the time. Ever since their E3 conference they've seemed pretty dedicated to not sucking so hard.
That's what everyone, myself included, said about Watchdogs, then they went and screwed that up. So I'm hoping they've learned to stay the course.

OT: It's definitely a unique concept and I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle it. I'm hoping they really take advantage of the setting and time period.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's a spin-off right? Blood Dragon was an amazing spin-off. Better than Far Cry 3. Considering that FC4 is the same old boring shit as FC3 it shouldn't be too difficult for this to be better.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Mortis Nuncius said:
Bindal said:
IceForce said:

Maybe in a DLC that's as ludicrous in terms of story and as fun to play as Blood Dragon.
This IS the Blood Dragon for Far Cry 4. What Blood Dragon as for Far Cry 3, Primal is for Far Cry 4. Just, apparently, with less deliberate cheese. Which is a bit sad.

Elfgore said:
Wow, just wow. They took a series that started as mercenaries fighting in third world countries, to white boys going native, and are now going to cavemen. This series makes no fucking sense at all.
The numbered games are the "core" series which share the theme of "one man against a group of well armed mercs" in some form. Basically, it's what they tried they would do: A sequel in theme, not in gameplay. (tho 4 was more of a mission pack than a sequel)
The spin offs (Blood Dragon and Primal) take the GAMEPLAY of the latest game and just says "let's go nuts"

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I always wanted more games involving prehistoric Earth, so I'm keeping an eye on this one.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
a commet on RPS:
"WHAT? Are you saying I can?t attach a scope to my spear and throw it with increased accuracy? This game is going to suck."

nearly fell of my chair! LOL

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Honestly, all I could do during the trailer was loudly exclaim:

[HEADING=2]Oh my God first person mammoth hunting YES![/HEADING]

Because seriously that's mega fucking badass. Yeah, this looks rad. FC3: Blood Dragon was pretty awesome too. Looks like Ubisoft wasn't talking out of its ass when it talked about wanting to do more outlandish spin-offs.

Meiam said:
songnar said:
Weapon selection: Fist. Rock. Spear. Stone hatchet. Atlatl.
Crafted rocket launcher that shoot crystal. :p
Or this: