Farcebook and the escapist

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Am i the only person irritated that you can't comment on ANYTHING on the escapist without facebook? Am i the only person who does NOT have a facebook account?

Ach... probably.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
...but you can comment on things without a Facebook account. All the videos, articles and news get their own thread, which can be reached by pressing the "Comments [X]" text under the tags.

And no, you're not the only without a Facebook account. Many people don't; I don't, for example.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I never use Facebook to comment on things around here... I like to keep that separate.

Pretty much what Kajt said, there's a link at the bottom of videos and articles saying Comments usually with a number next to it indicating how many comments there are so far.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Profile > Forum Options > set facebook comments to disable.

You can also comment on everything without facebook. If you can't find the comment section below the video (it's just a little bar below the video), go to the featured content forum and look for what you want to comment on. The bar links you to the same place.

I hate facebook so it annoyed me when they added it, but it is completely optional and easy to ignore. You don't have to have a facebook account to do anything.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Yeah, OP you picked the wrong site to complain about this on. I'm in a minority around here for even /having/ a Facebook account, let alone for enjoying it. As others have said, there's a separate comment section for Facebook users. It's something they've added in the last year; it used to be that you needed a forum account to comment on absolutely anything. I think they added the Facebook connect option because so many people get annoyed about having to make an account with a site when they only want to comment on a single article. I know I get annoyed every time I go to college humor or Dorkly, since you need an account to so much as /see/ the comments, and their Facebook connect option doesn't let you get around it the usual way, since all it does is create a new account with them that is pre-linked to your Facebook account; you still need a separate password, username, and so on.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Wait! Most people around here don't use Facebook to comment, the only problem I have with this is that the people on facebook get a different thread thing, and thereby separates them from the rest of the community, and I think it would be better if we all got to interact with each other.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I have a Facebook account and I never use it for anything on the Escapist.

Save maybe liking Miracle Of Sound.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Nice to see someone else adopting the title "Farcebook".
It really irritates me that the whole social-interaction-thing is deemed a requirement for every website these days.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
its not really a requirement, more of an option, like everyone has already said, you dont need facebook to comment on here, people do it all the time, and some people like to comment using facebook. but yeah choice, its just terrible aint it grrrrrrr (sarcasm)

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I have Facebook, but I don't use it to comment on things. I keep it separate.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
WWmelb said:
Am i the only person irritated that you can't comment on ANYTHING on the escapist without facebook? Am i the only person who does NOT have a facebook account?

Ach... probably.
That comment box is a facebook widget.
You make comments on facebook through it.
The Escapist is a forum.
We use the forum to make comments on The Escapist.
Go figure.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I'm glad they keep the two seperate! The comments in here always seem better! You can have better discussions when peoples online personalities and personas have more of a precedence than their own name and face!

OT: I'm pretty sure everything on this site can be commented on without having facebook! Theres the Comments and also the little speech bubble at the top of the article with the number on it...

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
As it has already been proven a few users here don't have a Facebook account. You're never, I repeat you're never the only one. For the record I don't have one either and will never make one.

Also as already mentioned you don't need facebook to comment the two are kept separate.

werty10089

Aug 14, 2011
Yes, Facebook and other social networking sites tend to have a notorious stigma for being only one step above Youtube in promoting anything remotely considered intelligence from any of it's users. However, I also consider myself to be in the slim minority for actively enjoying the experience, go figure. This despite how most people in my region take to consider Facebook membership a given in the requirements for 'citizenship'. Seriously. Miss homework? Detention. It's your fault for not checking for the due date on the Facebook page I created for our science class. It's people like these that make me wonder if Facebook is the only book they've taken the privilege of reading.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
WWmelb said:

Ach... probably.
What are you talking about? You can comment on everything without a Facebook account.