FASHION ADVICE WANTED: need a new coat/jacket/trench (am I too old buy something gothy?)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
So ever since high school, I enjoy wearing coats as my own personal sense of style. I don't know if that's pathetic or not, but generally during fall to spring I'll rock a coat constantly. That includes inside buildings over friends houses, pretty much everywhere I can and sense I wear them all the time I don't like anything to warm.

I always have worn a variety of styles... The past "retired" jackets in my collection include:

A Fubu Jacket
An Urban Inspired jean jacket
An Ecko white fleece zip hoody that had a badass graffiti design on it of a hoodlum wielding a handgun.*
One that was black with neon pink tribal designs.
A fake-leather 50's jacket
A black long overcoat
And most recent: A beige raincoat.

The time has come for beige raincoat (I've lovingly referred to it as my "Detective" coat) to be banished to the depths of my closet and I need something new to replace it. I thought I'd ask you fine strangers on the internet a bit of fashion advice in my new search for a cool looking coat. I'm actually seriously considering looking into something "gothic", I suppose? I've never been a part of that particular scene, however I find a lot of that dress style visually interesting. Am I going to look overly pathetic rocking a gothic trench coat over what I can only describe as "normal" dress clothes (A collared shirt and blue jeans)?

Anyway, I need....

-A price I can afford (around 100 dollars USD is the max I'm willing to spend)
-A jacket that's visually pretty bold (Either something very very Urban/HipHop oriented or something very very goth/rock)
-Loose fitting (I'm tall and fat, so naturally I like loose clothing. All us fat guys do.)
-I'd prefer something long, like a trench coat but it doesn't have to be.

*Or if I could just find some place to rebuy that Ecko fleece, I loved that thing so much I wore it until it was thread bare. Sadly I can't even find anything similar to it by Ecko anymore :(

If anyone knows of any good online shops for this sort of thing, let me know.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I recently bought this
http://store.iheartdropdead.com/product.php/4843/the_carter
And it's absolutely gorgeous. But...it's waaaay out of your price range, even excluding post and packing, eh?
Hrr.

I mean, you can look up Parka's in general. I think they look good.

What you could do is go into some charity/vintage stores and have a look, too. Dunno if you have them in the states though. HMMM.

Coat shopping is haaard though.
OMG HOLD UP
This one's from Deus Ex and it looks sweeeet
http://eu.deusex-store.com/product/EGX-D3_COAT-VT-001_Trenchcoat
But...again...way out of budget haha. Goddamnit.

Okay, I've been little to no help. Apologies.
I wish you luck though! ><;;.

TL;DR
Look up Parka jackets/coats.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Sorry I can't really give you suggestion on where to look as I am not personally familier with the gothic scene of clothes when it comes to buyers guides, but I imagine online would be the place to go. I had a friend back in the day who would buy lots of black "gothic" type coats and pants. Chains and spikes included :p

I can however give my opinion on the style. With the look you are rocking now it seems that many people will question the gothic jacket with your "normal" attire. Generally in the "fashion" scene a jacket of that type doesn't mix well with the whole "normal" look.

Does that mean you shouldn't do it? Fuck no. People are assholes and they will always pick on the different. So what if you love jackets and wear them mostly all year long? Is that pathetic, no. It is pathetic if someone thinks that is pathetic.

If you like the gothic style, which I agree with you it is an interesting style, then you should roll with a jacket in that style. You can even say you have tried it if you didn't like it, atleast you know you gave it a shot.

I wore a beanie all throughout highschool, even in the hot summers. I wasn't a stoner *didn't smoke until after highschool..hehe* and I wasn't Jamaican. I just like the feel of a beanie around my head, I liked the look and I didn't like my hair blowing all over the place in the wind. I didn't like baseball caps and the such, so I wore a beanie. People critised "isn't it too hot for that?" or said it looked dumb, but I still wore it for me. Which is surprising because highschool was a very self-conscious time for me.

Do what makes you happy.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Rose and Thorn said:
Sorry I can't really give you suggestion on where to look as I am not personally familier with the gothic scene of clothes when it comes to buyers guides, but I imagine online would be the place to go. I had a friend back in the day who would buy lots of black "gothic" type coats and pants. Chains and spikes included :p

I can however give my opinion on the style. With the look you are rocking now it seems that many people will question the gothic jacket with your "normal" attire. Generally in the "fashion" scene a jacket of that type doesn't mix well with the whole "normal" look.

Does that mean you shouldn't do it? Fuck no. People are assholes and they will always pick on the different. So what if you love jackets and wear them mostly all year long? Is that pathetic, no. It is pathetic if someone thinks that is pathetic.

If you like the gothic style, which I agree with you it is an interesting style, then you should roll with a jacket in that style. You can even say you have tried it if you didn't like it, atleast you know you gave it a shot.

I wore a beanie all throughout highschool, even in the hot summers. I wasn't a stoner *didn't smoke until after highschool..hehe* and I wasn't Jamaican. I just like the feel of a beanie around my head, I liked the look and I didn't like my hair blowing all over the place in the wind. I didn't like baseball caps and the such, so I wore a beanie. People critised "isn't it too hot for that?" or said it looked dumb, but I still wore it for me. Which is surprising because highschool was a very self-conscious time for me.

Do what makes you happy.
Well, yes you certainly are right, but I am sort of dressing to be a tad thought provoking to my peers. It's the same reason that when someone I don't know is attempting to talk to me about a serious issue I'll curse like a moron in one sentence and then use big words like "Sycophant" in another. Throws people out of their comfort zone.

I'm just wondering how stupid it would be to start wearing gothic attire now that I'm nearing 24 and I have no background/interest in the scene or music attached to it. I'd absolute abhor the idea of people calling me a poser, but I just think a lot of the spikes/random belts/pointless zippers look pretty damn cool. The same way I thought that hoody with the half-naked chick and the gangsta thug wielding the handgun sideways looked really cool and borderline offensive.

BlueberryMUNCH said:
I recently bought this
http://store.iheartdropdead.com/product.php/4843/the_carter
And it's absolutely gorgeous. But...it's waaaay out of your price range, even excluding post and packing, eh?
Hrr.

I mean, you can look up Parka's in general. I think they look good.

What you could do is go into some charity/vintage stores and have a look, too. Dunno if you have them in the states though. HMMM.

Coat shopping is haaard though.
OMG HOLD UP
This one's from Deus Ex and it looks sweeeet
http://eu.deusex-store.com/product/EGX-D3_COAT-VT-001_Trenchcoat
But...again...way out of budget haha. Goddamnit.

Okay, I've been little to no help. Apologies.
I wish you luck though! ><;;.

TL;DR
Look up Parka jackets/coats.
I love thrift stores, but being the size that I am finding something that not only fits my frame but fits how I want it too is rather difficult, and as badass as the parka looks (did Bane wear that in DKR?) it looks much to warm to be worn indoors. When I head out into the world, I like to wear my jacket constantly. This use to irk my exgirlfriends parents because they felt not removing my jacket meant I wasn't comfortable inside their home.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
How visually bold you can find one depends on your definition of 'visually bold,' but Woolen pea coats are always good and they start around ~$100. And depending on cut might fulfill every need you listed.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'd advise not wearing a coat all the time as it's a bit er weird but that's just me. Go to /fa/ i'm sure they could point you in the right direction, just ask for a coat though don't tell them your whole story like you did here cause they're tear you to shreds.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Buy a hat, solves all your problems.

Just wear what you want, if you like it, get it. If you get anything that isn't considered "the norm" for your age/look you are going to get shtick for it, if you can cope with that then who cares.

Please note that the original Gothic look was literally being an individual and not conforming to any particular look or style. Kind of ironic how that worked out.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
unoleian said:
How visually bold you can find one depends on your definition of 'visually bold,' but Woolen pea coats are always good and they start around ~$100. And depending on cut might fulfill every need you listed.
Well Chris Jericho rocked a jacket with lights on it...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
DugMachine said:
I'd advise not wearing a coat all the time as it's a bit er weird but that's just me. Go to /fa/ i'm sure they could point you in the right direction, just ask for a coat though don't tell them your whole story like you did here cause they're tear you to shreds.
Then their opinion isn't worth shit.

Tallim said:

Just wear what you want, if you like it, get it. If you get anything that isn't considered "the norm" for your age/look you are going to get shtick for it, if you can cope with that then who cares.

Please note that the original Gothic look was literally being an individual and not conforming to any particular look or style. Kind of ironic how that worked out.
Understand that mindset, but I want it to be provocative to a certain extent so what other people think does sorta influence my decision.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
DugMachine said:

Tallim said:

Understand that mindset, but I want it to be provocative to a certain extent so what other people think does sorta influence my decision.
Hmm so you want to stand out for some reason. That's fine. Then in my experience get a long coat. But not a traditional trenchcoat (depending on age)as as you get older they start to make you look like a pervert due to social ideas.

You don't want to dress in that "Hey everyone look at me!" kind of way.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Tallim said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
DugMachine said:

Tallim said:

Hmm so you want to stand out for some reason. That's fine. Then in my experience get a long coat. But not a traditional trenchcoat (depending on age)as as you get older they start to make you look like a pervert due to social ideas.

Well not if I have illegal narcotics on me anyway, but more or less.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Tallim said:

Weird. I'd suggest against a traditional trench coat for entirely different reasons. Namely, it's not age appropriate. Save the double breasted look for when you're wearing it over a suit to go to work.

I also love wearing coats and jackets. I love being warm and having extra non-bulgy pockets is always awesome. I searched every store in the mall for a non-black-or-grey winter coat last year. Wound up buying a camel colored duffle coat online that I love. So warm. So fuzzy. So not-black-or-grey.

Aside from gushing about my duffle coat, I also got an awesome modern trench last spring. My mom's friend gave me a $75 off coupon at Express, so I got a $200 coat for $125. I'd look for something similar. Single breasted, falls on upper thigh. If you're so inclined, find something with zippers or other embellishments. Find something with a removable lining if possible, to wear it in a greater range of temperatures. Most of all, make sure it fits.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Dags90 said:
Tallim said:

Weird. I'd suggest against a traditional trench coat for entirely different reasons. Namely, it's not age appropriate. Save the double breasted look for when you're wearing it over a suit to go to work.

I also love wearing coats and jackets. I love being warm and having extra non-bulgy pockets is always awesome. I searched every store in the mall for a non-black-or-grey winter coat last year. Wound up buying a camel colored duffle coat online that I love. So warm. So fuzzy. So not-black-or-grey.

Aside from gushing about my duffle coat, I also got an awesome modern trench last spring. My mom's friend gave me a $75 off coupon at Express, so I got a $200 coat for $125. I'd look for something similar. Single breasted, falls on upper thigh. If you're so inclined, find something with zippers or other embellishments. Find something with a removable lining if possible, to wear it in a greater range of temperatures. Most of all, make sure it fits.
Removable lining is a must.... My "Detective" coat has that, I always do away with it. Even in the depths of a snow storm, I do with out unless I know I'm heading into a situation where I'm being outside for most of the day.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Have you tried drawing a giant penis on the back of a previous jacket? A nice thick black marker might work well on the denim.

Siegreich

Jun 24, 2008
Personally I find that Monarchy does some very nice distictive jackets and you can find alot of their stuff on ebay for about $100, the got some nice long coats.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
Have you tried drawing a giant penis on the back of a previous jacket? A nice thick black marker might work well on the denim.
Meat always makes a statement. I prefer a skirt steak steak skirt though.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dags90 said:
Woodsey said:
Meat always makes a statement. I prefer a skirt steak steak skirt though.
Heh, I hope that first sentence was as much a follow-on from my comment as I think it was.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
Heh, I hope that first sentence was as much a follow-on from my comment as I think it was.
Is the Space Pope Reptilian? Do I constantly misread your name as "Woody"?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dags90 said:
Woodsey said:
Is the Space Pope Reptilian? Do I constantly misread your name as "Woody"?
Wait a minute, my name's not Woody?!

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
Look for a commisars long coat. It's pretty much a trench coat but with a more classic look and dress appeal. It's probaly going to be a little high of 100 but second hand and army surplus stores might carry one. It's a great coat which is warm and heavy and oozes authority.