Fast-paced or tactical RPG or Action Adventure game?

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
Does anyone know of a good, preferably free, preferably 2D action-adventure game or RPG with fast-paced combat or tactical combat?

For awhile now, I've been feeling like playing some RPG or adventure game. However, in this age where most WRPGs are M-rated, half of the JRPGs suck, some are decent and a few are great, the market is becoming saturated with FPSes (not to say they all suck) and newer games cost pretty much 60 friggin' dollars (where I live), like paying over half of 100 dollars for one game, and me with money issues, I haven't quite had many opportunities and good options.

The reason I asked for tactical style of games as well, is, well, I've played this game called Wakfu, which other than it's other features which are pretty good, I found myself enjoying the combat quite a bit.

Other than that, there's FF Tactics: War of the Lions which I put aside because I wasn't interested in it before, but I decided to play it just to try it, and found myself enjoying it a lot.

Does anyone know of any games a bit like that? Fast-paced or Tactical?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Erm....Dragon Age? Baldur's Gate?

You're asking for something very specific - a lot of games aren't 2D now and you won't get very many good free ones either...

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Justin1221 said:
Does anyone know of a good, preferably free, preferably 2D action-adventure game or RPG with fast-paced combat or tactical combat?

For awhile now, I've been feeling like playing some RPG or adventure game. However, in this age where most WRPGs are M-rated, half of the JRPGs suck, some are decent and a few are great, the market is becoming saturated with FPSes (not to say they all suck) and newer games cost pretty much 60 friggin' dollars (where I live), like paying over half of 100 dollars for one game, and me with money issues, I haven't quite had many opportunities and good options.

The reason I asked for tactical style of games as well, is, well, I've played this game called Wakfu, which other than it's other features which are pretty good, I found myself enjoying the combat quite a bit.

Other than that, there's FF Tactics: War of the Lions which I put aside because I wasn't interested in it before, but I decided to play it just to try it, and found myself enjoying it a lot.

Does anyone know of any games a bit like that? Fast-paced or Tactical?
Judging by FFT WotL I'm assuming you have a PSP. If you want a good tactical RPG not free but very inexpensive you should check out Jeanne D'Arc. You can probably get it for under 10 dollars.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Heroes of Might and Magic 3, the only game you will ever need... I think, it's hard to actually tell what you are looking for but it should be pretty close.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Now "fast-paced" and "tactical" are quite hard to pull off together, right? I mean, split-second decisions aren't "tactical."

Oh but...

Mr.K. said:
Heroes of Might and Magic 3, the only game you will ever need... I think, it's hard to actually tell what you are looking for but it should be pretty close.
Why yes. The best of the Heroes series. Very, very enjoyable. And battles actually are quite fast paced...if you want them to be.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I found Cthulhu Saves The World plenty of fun, you can pick it up as a bundle with Breath Of Death VII for 2 quid (or $3) on Steam. Really worth the price for me.

And now I saw that Rune is there now...that was a very awesome game - fast paced, action adventure with vikings! And enormous weapons and some cool powers. Fuck, yeah, I have fond memories of this game. I can't comment on the single player, thoug - I've mostly played multi- and that was friggin' awesome - fight your buddies with swords and then beat them with their arm or leg.

If you haven't already, try Fable: The Lost Chapters - really nice game, I love it. Action RPG.

As suggested above - Baldur's Gate, also Icewind Dale.

These aren't free but are still pretty cheap. You could go though GOG's catalogue, I think you will like some of the stuff on there, if you can handle the fact that it's older (although lately they've been adding newer titles).

Tiddles

Jan 30, 2012
If you liked FF: Tactics, I really recommend any of the Fire Emblem games. Some are hard to get hold of but there are genuinely good fan translations of the original Japanese and the games really surprise in how the speed can creep up on you. Also every map is different and have a challenge to them.

The story isn't bad either but you can ignore the lot of it and it doesn't negatively impact the strategy (mostly). It's tactical and it's fun, although be aware that when one of your units dies, they die FOREVER.

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
No, I mean fast-paced OR tactical, for the person who got confused. I've heard of the Fire Emblem games before, but I blew them off. Maybe it's time I look into them.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Well Divinity 2 is an interesting game to check out. It's M rated but it's not really dark at all. It's more humorous than most games.

Also I'm going to beg you here to please PLEASE check out the Ys series on Steam. They are fantastic games that don't really sell too well compared to other games but seriously deserve more sales than they get. They are fast paced RPGs that are mainly focused on the combat (in comparison to the Zelda series where the focus is more on puzzles). I can't recommend them enough to people. Ys the Oath in Felghana is a remake of the 3rd entry in the series and Ys Origins is a prequel to the whole series by several hundred years and wasn't released outside of Japan until recently. I cannot recommend them enough.

EDIT: Whoops I didn't really give Divinity 2 enough attention. Well sorry but I don't really have a good description of it for you but I can say it's easily worth your time as well. Here's the link to the game on Steam so you can give it a look. It's also on the 360 too but from what I've heard the PC version is better.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/58540/?snr=1_7_suggest__13
I can say it's definitely worth at least putting on your wishlist and getting if it's on sale if nothing else.

EDIT2: Amusingly enough under the recommended games on the steam page I linked is Ys the Oath in Felghana. Well that's 2 recommendations I guess.

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
Alright, I'll look into these. I like the looks and sounds of some.

I've also come across something called Jeanne d'Arc which looks pretty good as well, but I have no idea when it's to be released and where.

Also, you say that Divinity 2 is rated M. I can't access the US page with my real birth date because in the US, the game is rated M for blood, violence and suggestive themes, What? However, the PEGI rating system for the Britian site says it's rated 12+. WTF?

The US rating system is stupid. Eh, I don't think my PC could handle it and I don't have an XBox360, so I might not be able to play it anyways, but thanks.

Are the Ys games related to Ys Online in any way?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Justin1221 said:
Alright, I'll look into these. I like the looks and sounds of some.

I've also come across something called Jeanne d'Arc which looks pretty good as well, but I have no idea when it's to be released and where.

Also, you say that Divinity 2 is rated M. I can't access the US page with my real birth date, but the PEGI rating system for the Britian site says it's rated 12+. WTF?

Also, can I find Divinity 2 in any store?
Well for Divinity 2 I should have mentioned this but get the Dragon Knight Saga not Eco Draconis. The reason for this is the Dragon Knight saga contains the original game, the expansion plus a new engine since apparently the original was really buggy. Also for the rating I don't really know I just know it says M for the U.S. though I don't know why since the game isn't that mature. For finding it in stores you can find physical copies for the 360 but for the PC well...while I think there's physical copies in the UK in the US I'm certain the Dragon Knight Saga never got a physical release.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
pokemon conquest is a tactical rpg in the vain of ff: tactics thats coming out on the 18th. you would probably like it. for what its worth ign gave it a 9.

Tiddles

Jan 30, 2012
Justin1221 said:
No, I mean fast-paced OR tactical, for the person who got confused. I've heard of the Fire Emblem games before, but I blew them off. Maybe it's time I look into them.
If it's the JRPG aesthetics that bug you skip all the dialogue. There's also Advance Wars which is like Fire Emblem but more western, no irrevocable death and faster with more tactical thinking required. So far as I know Fire Emblem 2 is not licensed for outside of Japan so it's technically not illegal to download an emulation of the old NES game. I'm not 100% sure though but I know it's available out there.

I personally love the Fire Emblem games, their flaws of excessive dialogue and unclear plots are nothing to my love for the personalities the essentially chess pieces (characters/units) develop.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Well, since it seems like you have a PSP, I'd recommend Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. Even if you aren't a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series, Birth By Sleep is a good starting point, since it's a prequel game.

It's got fast-paced, action combat, with Final Fantasy RPG elements. Probably one of the better games on the PSP.

Justin1221

Aug 16, 2008
That's actually pretty funny, because I had KH:BbS and played it a lot. All the way through Tera and Ventus' sides of the story, and about half way through Aqua's. I lost the CD. I think I left it in the case, but the case was in a pink crate of toys that my mom bagged up because she was afraid a mouse had got in it when we had mouse problems in the house........yeah.

I mean the bag with the crate is still there, but I haven't bothered to look through it, and it isn't quite that easy. The game might not even be in there.

TBH, I like the looks of Fire Emblem more than Advance Wars for some reason. Also, does FF:T have a sequel?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Justin1221 said:
That's actually pretty funny, because I had KH:BbS and played it a lot. All the way through Tera and Ventus' sides of the story, and about half way through Aqua's. I lost the CD. I think I left it in the case, but the case was in a pink crate of toys that my mom bagged up because she was afraid a mouse had got in it when we had mouse problems in the house........yeah.

I mean the bag with the crate is still there, but I haven't bothered to look through it, and it isn't quite that easy. The game might not even be in there.

TBH, I like the looks of Fire Emblem more than Advance Wars for some reason. Also, does FF:T have a sequel?
Well I think that Tactics Ogre for the PSP is pretty similar if I remember that correctly though I haven't played either.