Faster Than Light: Advanced Edition Gets New Alien Race And Ship

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Faster Than Light: Advanced Edition Gets New Alien Race And Ship

The Lanius are metallic lifeforms that don't require oxygen to survive.

Earlier in the year, Faster Than Light developer Subset Games announced it was working on an "advanced edition" of the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129534-FTL-Dev-Announces-Advanced-Edition-iPad-Version], that will be available as a free update. Now, they have announced that among previously revealed features, the advanced edition will feature a new alien race, the Lanius, as well as a Lanius ship.

"The Lanius are scavengers - metallic lifeforms that rely on the absorption of minerals to sustain themselves. Their society ebbs and flows in hibernation cycles; they may lie dormant for many years, even while hurtling through space. As soon as they become aware of significant metal deposits they reawaken. Usually this occurs in the dying stages of a galactic civilization or in the wake of intergalactic war."

The Lanius don't require oxygen to survive, and will actually passively drain any room they inhabit of oxygen. This should make for some interesting boarding strategies, although they may cause trouble if you have any non-Lanius crew members on your own ship!

The team also revealed a few more new features for the Advanced edition, that will be available as a free patch for current owners of the game:

Type C Ship Layouts: 8 of the original ships will have a third layout that capitalizes on the new content. With the Lanius ship, that makes for a total of ten new starting ship designs.

Backup Battery Subsystem: Subsystem that can provide temporary reactor power in a pinch.

New Drones: Expanded drone options includes: the Shield Drone that generates a green super shield for your ship, the Anti-Combat Drone that shoots down enemy combat drones, and the Ion Intruder that blasts into the enemy ship and randomly ionizes systems while stunning and distracting crew.

Gameplay Refinements: Doors and Sensors can be manned to increase effectiveness; you can now rename crew mid-game; each race has a small variety of colors which allows for easier visual recognition;

The Advanced Edition of Faster Than Light is due out in "early 2014".

Source: FTL Game [http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=621]

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Oh nice, I didn't even know this was a thing. Well it looks like FTL will be dominating my free time once more, and I'm ok with this.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I loved FTL, but I kinda stopped playing after beating the final boss. I really wish they'd add in a new mode of play beyond the original mode.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Awesome stuff! I wonder if the oxygen-draining Lanius were inspired by the fan-created Amber Shard [http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11703] ship/race mod.

I can see the Lanius providing all sorts of new options, particularly regarding both offensive and defensive boarding strategies. Now there's a way to effectively board enemy drones without having to worry about suffocation. What's more, Lanius may replace Rockmen as the go-to pilot slot for mixed crew, as the suffocation damage would provide extra insurance against enemy boarders.

Also, Type C layouts. Hell yes.

It's a nice touch that the "vanilla" version will still be available as well for those inclined to stick with the old features.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Oh wow. All of this, wow. The more I see the more I demand they take more money from me! I don't deserve this kind of love from my favourite game of last year for free, especially when they're a such a small studio.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I can't be the only one who thought of both Legate Lanius and The Reapers upon seeing those things...

Can't wait for the advanced edition though :D

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
This is how you should boost people into buying your game, and at the same time show appreciation to your earlier customers! Not by trying to milk everyone who already liked the product, from every last dime/cent. I love Subset Games! I can see myself becoming a loyal consumer to their products if they keep this up.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Damn, this ounds awesome, but I havent even got FTL yet. I seriously need to get a steam card next time I go to a Gamestop.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well... now I may have to get back into FTL. I do love the game already, even though it does frustrate the fuck out of me. This new bit will definitely revitalize my interest... until the game mercilessly pounds my ship with a damnable solar flare that takes out too many key systems.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
... Want.

Robotic races are always a welcome addition, and this one sounds particularly cool. I still need to earn the Crystal Cruiser, because god-damn those random events. I guess when this new race becomes available it will be the perfect excuse to pick it up and try again to get it.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
ohboyohboyohboy

Finally, a game to be excited for. Been a long time since that happened.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I really need to give FTL another shot. I could never get into it, although to be fair this was probably because I was terrible at it rather than any fault of the game.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
uchytjes said:
I loved FTL, but I kinda stopped playing after beating the final boss. I really wish they'd add in a new mode of play beyond the original mode.
I played long enough to get all ships but the crystal ship. The final boss was a ton of fun, but I stopped playing because some of the hidden unlocks were so agonizing that it just wasn't worth it. Granted I think that was the point, but I hope that all the new ship Type C's won't require you to roll 40 lucky dice will beating the game upside down, and the same goes for the new ship.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
The Lanius don't require oxygen to survive, and will actually passively drain any room they inhabit of oxygen.
I burst into tears when I read this.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Teoes said:
Oh wow. All of this, wow. The more I see the more I demand they take more money from me! I don't deserve this kind of love from my favourite game of last year for free, especially when they're a such a small studio.
My thoughts. I'm so excited for this its actually a tad embarrassing.

I'm considering buying a handful of copies and give away to friends, relatives or people I've barely met...

GiantRaven said:
Steven Bogos said:
The Lanius don't require oxygen to survive, and will actually passively drain any room they inhabit of oxygen.
I burst into tears when I read this.
^___________________^