Fate/Stay Night and Typemoon in General

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012

I've seen people make reviews of their games here so I decided might as well make an official thread.

Type-Moon is a Japanese game company, and since they were primarily this before the anime adaptations came out, I decided to put them in the gaming category. They're best known for their visual novels, co-founded by author Kinoko Nasu and illustrator Takashi Takeuchi. Their works include Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Stay Night, Melty Blood (fighting game spin-off of Tsukihime), Fate/Zero (prequel to Fate/stay night), Mahōtsukai no Yoru, Girl's Work and CANAAN. Fate/stay Night, CANAAN and Fate/Zero all have been been adapted into anime series, while Kara no Kyoukai (translated as "Garden of the Sinners") has been adapted into 7 anime movies, with a 30 minute epilogue, and another upcoming film to be released. The purpose of this thread is to discuss anything Type-moon related, from the VNs to the anime.

A recent, exciting piece of news has been announced where it states UFOTABLE will be making a new Fate/Stay Night anime. Why is this exciting news? Well because the 2006 adaptation of F/SN was a mediocre and bastardized adaptation of the VN from DEEN and really doesn't hold up as a continuation for those who have watched Zero first. UFOTABLE on the other hand were the guys who adapted Fate/Zero and made the KnK movies. Long story short, their animation is fucking gorgeous and if Yuki Kajura is the one to compose this adaptation, and if they decide to focus primarily on adapting the Heaven's Feel route of the VN... well then you can bet your sweet ass that this will be my most anticipated animu for the next two years.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Apparently Tsukihime got an anime version as well. 13 episodes, called "Lunar Legend Tsukihime". I don't know much else about it except that most of the promo material I've seen involved Arc and Hisui, so I'm guessing the changed plot focuses mostly on those two. I'm probably also more interested in it because I've actually read Tsukihime (only Arc's true ending so far but still) and I think it's just beautiful.

Also Neco-Arc is the cutest thing ever.

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
I believe Fate/Zero was written by Gen Urobuchi, OP.

Sure, he was supervised by Nasu, but whatevers. I'm feeling pedantic.

And that the anime adaption is amazing.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
My friend is big big into Typemoon stuff. I myself have never read any of the VN's or watched any of the animes, but I do have the OST's from them and they are magnificent.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
Apparently Tsukihime got an anime version as well. 13 episodes, called "Lunar Legend Tsukihime". I don't know much else about it except that most of the promo material I've seen involved Arc and Hisui, so I'm guessing the changed plot focuses mostly on those two. I'm probably also more interested in it because I've actually read Tsukihime (only Arc's true ending so far but still) and I think it's just beautiful.

Also Neco-Arc is the cutest thing ever.

That anime doesn't exist, shuush!

Anyway, ufotable making a new fate/stay night anime, I am really really REALLY excited about that :D
In the past 6 months, ive watched fate/zero, fate/stay night, played through fate/stay night's 3 routes(the vn), played 2 routes so far in the tsukihime VN and watched all 7 movies + epilogue of kara no kyokai.

Basically the nasuverse has made me a new follower

jhoroz said:
So, how about dem waifus, guise?
Well, I do think about Rin way more than I should, I have a soft spot for tsundere's. Hmm is Rin even a tsundere, i am not sure. :p

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Nihilm said:
Hmm is Rin even a tsundere, i am not sure. :p
Definetely. I believe the line "It-It's not like I like you or anything" is even in the game. And not made as a jestful jab at such character archetypes.

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
If there's one thing I love about the Nasuverse and Fate it's the magic. I absolutely love the magic. I don't really know how to explain why I like it. I just like it so much. It hits all my fantasy buttons just right.

Also, Fate/Extra CCC localisation when?

Fate/Extra anime when!

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
jhoroz said:
So, how about dem waifus, guise?
Shiki.

Why yes, I did love Kara No Kyoukai.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing another adaptation of F/S N. As someone who's played all of the VN, the anime was a massive disappointment. Still, the Unlimited Blade Works movie was fairly decent.

....Not sure if I want Heaven's Feel to ever get an adaptation though.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
I hate, hate hate hate hate hate Type-Moon. They produced Shirou Emiya, the worst character in human history, so I have good reason for it. And the fans...god the fans. It's not anything they do, really, it's their insistence on making the claim that Fate/stay night is in any way of comparable quality to Fate/Zero. No. I say no. I will not stand for such mockery. Yes, I have read the visual novel, yes all three routes, and not only could I have probably found a cure for cancer in the time it took to read that gargantuan monstrosity (I refuse to believe that much text can fit on one disc. What's that? Text takes up virtually no space? I think my point stands.), it was also pure agony. I haven't seen the F/SN anime, but I find it difficult to believe it could be any worse than the VN. Heaven's Feel I would at least grant is "decent", but the prior two routes are like screwing a screw into your brain by hand.

So why do I like the Fate series so much????

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TYPE-MOON!!!!!!!!!! Y DOES I LIKE YOUR STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFF?????????????????????????

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Dr. Cakey said:
I hate, hate hate hate hate hate Type-Moon. They produced Shirou Emiya, the worst character in human history, so I have good reason for it. And the fans...god the fans. It's not anything they do, really, it's their insistence on making the claim that Fate/stay night is in any way of comparable quality to Fate/Zero. No. I say no. I will not stand for such mockery. Yes, I have read the visual novel, yes all three routes, and not only could I have probably found a cure for cancer in the time it took to read that gargantuan monstrosity (I refuse to believe that much text can fit on one disc. What's that? Text takes up virtually no space? I think my point stands.), it was also pure agony. I haven't seen the F/SN anime, but I find it difficult to believe it could be any worse than the VN. Heaven's Feel I would at least grant is "decent", but the prior two routes are like screwing a screw into your brain by hand.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU TYPE-MOON!!!!!!!!!! Y DOES I LIKE YOUR STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFFFFFFF?????????????????????????
Your taste is pretty bad.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
FredTheUndead said:
Dr. Cakey said:

Your taste is pretty bad.
So is my taste bad for hating Fate or liking it? Because I did both.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Charcharo said:
Hmm I would really want to get into this but have no idea from where to begin. Can someone tell me the names of the manga/anime in order?
No.

Just start with reading the Fate/Stay Night visual novel (it's like a PC game, but without the interactivity, and more like a novel with pictures and music, where you can about once an hour click a choice of what the protagonist should do to avoid death.)

It's anime adaptation is bad, skip it.

Then you can start reading the fan translation of the Fate/Zero Light Novels (Light novels are actual short novels, normal text ones) that can be found on Baka Tsuki, or watch the anime adaptation, that one is good as the source anyways.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I liked them well enough for Fate/Stay Night and Tsukihime. Then came fucking Kara no Kyoukai. Visuals from UFOTABLE? Music from Kalafina, created by my all-time favorite composer? God damn it. Now, I'm basically in love.

Also, I believe this is mandatory for this thread:

God, I love Carnival Phantasm so much.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Honestly up until the Fate/Stay Night adaptation I pretty much thought this was a hentai series. It was okay even if they adapted the most boring route (Unlimited Blade Works is my favourite) though the mythology has potential for something far bigger than the novel would instill...

Then the Fate/Zero manga came out. Hoooly crap that thing is AMAZING. All the teen drama nonsense is cut out and replaced by further expanding on the lore, introduce very flawed three-dimensional characters and philosophies on what is right and wrong as well as making ALL of the Servants awesome, except Assassin. Nobody likes Assassin. This was doubly kickass when they decided to adapt it into anime.

That, and Rider.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Dr. Cakey said:

Huh, is Fate/Zero actually good then? I've played and quite enjoyed Tsukihime, but then I played Fate/Stay Night and had the exact same experience with it you did. After that, I decided against reading Fate/Zero, but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

OT: Fate/Stay Night is awful, just terrible. Dr. Cakey has pretty much summed it up, but I still feel the need to reinforce his point about Shirou Emiya. I mean, "the worst character in human history" is putting it way too mildly, my whole life has been tainted with the knowledge that a character as bad as him could even exist. Even if he was somehow removed, though, F/SN would still be mind-numbingly boring and way too long.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011

Ciel-senpai approves of this thread.

Kohaku-san thinks it's a little inappropriate, though.

But who cares, Tsukihime and Fate Stay Night are both awesome. I want to try the Witch of the Holy Night too, but not sure if that has a good English translation.

Dr. Cakey said:

Shirou Enema is awesome, I don't know wtf you are talking about.

Who else other than a complete badass eats, shits, and breathes SWORDS?

And if you don't like lots of text, then visual novels are probably not your thing.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
I haven't watched carnival phantasm yet, is it actually good? I have not watched it with the fear that parody is not always easy to pull off.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
Lunncal said:
I know I might be in the minority here, but I don't think shirou was THAT bad. Now don't get me wrong when i first played through the fate route, i hated, hated shirou, I really did. He had some moments, but mostly he was just so dumb, so idealistic, so so Shirou. "People die when they are killed" - Shirou, no fucking shit.

BUT, then i played unlimited bladeworks, and my god did I enjoy that a lot more than the fate route and I think Shirou's character got a lot more deep there as well.

The entire part about how archer is Shirou and at the same time one of the most badass characters ever(in my opinion) and the backstory behind archer, really gave Shirou depth

and I had a lot of respect for him in the HF route

For giving up on his ideals

Now, while he is in no way a "good" character, maybe not even a decent one, he is definately not the worst in creation and I just love the world and the entire concept behind the holy grail war too much to rate fate/stay night the VN badly just because the main character is a bit meh.

*EDIT* Keep in mind that this is only my opinion and I am not interested getting in an argument over it, I just think the guy gets a rough deal even among fans.