Fate/Stay Night and Typemoon in General

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
Spoilers for the akiha route in Tsukihime

Just had the welcoming party, no option to get blitzed, I thought that would have done wonders for Shiki, considering he had to kill someone for the first time a day before, oh well. Actually really liking this route so far.

I guess I'll save it there for now

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Nihilm said:
Spoilers for the akiha route in Tsukihime

Just had the welcoming party, no option to get blitzed, I thought that would have done wonders for Shiki, considering he had to kill someone for the first time a day before, oh well. Actually really liking this route so far.

I guess I'll save it there for now
Akiha actually wound up being probably my second-favorite character post-game (after Kohaku), and a lot of that was her route. Not during the game, though. I loved them all to the extent that Tsukihime remains to this day the one VN where I can honestly say my favorite heroine is "whoever's story I'm reading right now."

Anyway, stuff to be prepared for in Akiha's route? Well...you've already seen the major event that influences the rest. It's hard to overestimate just how much of an emotional impact that situation had on Shiki, and it really drives the main theme forward. That in mind...be prepared for the last choice. You've played FSN, so you know what a Normal Ending is like. If you do get distracted by a Distant Reed Warbler, at least you can still have a Warm Afternoon Nap.

Really, though, it's Hisui's route you need to watch out for.

Richardplex said:
While Shirou is my second favourite protagonist, gonna have to disagree on your first point. Remember when he said he thought it was good that a molester came after Rin's rival, so as to remind her of her femininity.
I assumed he was projecting his problems connecting with Saber for the sake of a throwaway joke, to be honest. Especially since he has the opposite reaction during UBW.

GabeZhul said:
-Contrary to common belief, Shirou doesn't turn into FSN Archer. That particular future EMIYA came from the non-existent Ilya route of the game that got scrapped during development. Yes, he has the capability to beceome Archer, but he probably wouldn't in any of the VN's routes, and even if he does, he would be a completely different person.
From what I understand, if Last Episode is any indication
he actually does become a different Archer as a result of the Fate route.

Haven't gotten the UBW Good Ending yet, though, so I don't know for sure.

With that said, I am also curious about the Heaven's Feel adaptation, since it is my favorite route with the most hateable villain in the entire VN and I adore poor Sakura.
MY BROTHER! Why didst thou abandon me?! ;_;

Been quite a long time since I've found someone who mirrored my opinion of HF so much. I'm always especially confused when people go into that route disliking her, since I had the opposite tack (I wanted to know more about her).

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
(This statement is focused on their anime, because I sadly never had the chance to play any of their games, or read any of their manga((if they have any))). I like type moons anime for the most part because they have fun with their properties, such as making Carnival phantasm, that magical girl spin off, and the new cafe series. Its kind of fun to see all the characters of their franchises interact with each other. Plus, their more serious stuff is good too, I really like fate/zero so far (not too far in), and fate/stay wasn't too bad (I think fate/zero will be better though, it already seems that way. I am glad about the remake to Fate/stay night if they make it like fate/zero). Tsukihime was o.k, but definitely not great, but it enhanced my enjoyment of Carnival Phantasm, which is great! Also, I found it awesome that in the Fate/zero dub, they got the guy who voices Igor in persona 3/4 (Dan Woren) to voice castor, and they got the guy who voices the protagonist of persona 4 (Johnny Yong Bosch) to play his master. It made the dialogue between them much more surreal.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
NeutralDrow said:

Different Fate/stay night spoilers ahead:

I don't really get the sakura hate either, even though I liked Rin and Archer and UBW more than Sakura/HF. I still liked Sakura a lot and thought she had an interesting story and since I saw Fate/Zero first, I knew of a lot of the plot twists in HF before hand and it was a bit of torture in the first 2 routes where nothing about Sakura was revealed.

I make multiple saves at decision points later on, so I can catch all the endings of a particular route in 1 go, usually guide scum it at the end.

Now If I think about Shirou becoming a different Archer in the fate route, wouldn't that mean that there are infinite different versions of an infinite amount of heroic spirits out there, considering there are infinite different universes and the spirits can apparently transcend time and parallel universes.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
NeutralDrow said:
Richardplex said:
While Shirou is my second favourite protagonist, gonna have to disagree on your first point. Remember when he said he thought it was good that a molester came after Rin's rival, so as to remind her of her femininity.
I assumed he was projecting his problems connecting with Saber for the sake of a throwaway joke, to be honest. Especially since he has the opposite reaction during UBW.
I think he was always like that - he frequently calls out statements about Rin, about how as a woman, she should be quieter and more obedient, I assume his friendship with Issei influenced this. I think seeing a small woman like Saber overpower a monster like Berserker dynamically changed his views, hence why it's such a difference between UBW and Fate.

As for the scene for whats-her-rivals-face, in Fate it was just a warning, in UBW
it was implied Shinji actually raped her, backed up by how he has already raped Sakura and Rider
There are leagues of differences between these things. Supporting the former is forgivable, supporting the latter is not.

As for After Story, it has the most elements of the Fate route, but it's not the same route, according to Nasu.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
I saw the After Story on Youtube. Not a big fan of it, especially because it came right at the end, after HF, and thus trivializes Shirou and Sakura's relationship with something the equivalent of the HP epilogue.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
jhoroz said:
I saw the After Story on Youtube. Not a big fan of it, especially because it came right at the end, after HF, and thus trivializes Shirou and Sakura's relationship with something the equivalent of the HP epilogue.
I wasn't a big fan of it because I saw it right after UBW good end, and I was like... kay, I just got my closure happy ending already, what purpose does this serve? Saber's relationship with Shirou is better suited to a more sibling relationship anyway, in my opinion.

I head-canonise the HF's normal ending as the real ending for HF, I found the True ending jarring to the rest of the route's tone.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Nihilm said:
You, uh...wanna edit that gigantic spoiler out of your post? >_>

Richardplex said:
I think he was always like that - he frequently calls out statements about Rin, about how as a woman, she should be quieter and more obedient, I assume his friendship with Issei influenced this. I think seeing a small woman like Saber overpower a monster like Berserker dynamically changed his views, hence why it's such a difference between UBW and Fate.
I assumed that was more him peevishly calling Rin out for being obnoxious at times, since I don't remember it happening all that often, and it doesn't really influence his behavior towards her (unlike with Issei).

Saber gets her ass handed to her by Berserker in HF, too, but Shirou never has a problem fighting alongside her then. Fate struck me as the unusual scenario because of that, since the main difference is that he's not crushing on Saber in the former. Part of Fate's foreshadowing is that Shirou's really a love freak at heart, so UBW and HF don't have his mind torn between "the girl I love is in mortal danger" and "I am woefully unqualified to do anything about it."

jhoroz said:
Sakura's not involved, how would it trivialize hers and Shirou's relationship?

Richardplex said:
I wasn't a big fan of it because I saw it right after UBW good end, and I was like... kay, I just got my closure happy ending already, what purpose does this serve? Saber's relationship with Shirou is better suited to a more sibling relationship anyway, in my opinion.
That must be the difference, since I had the opposite reaction. It was Rin who never impressed me as a love interest, so I was ripe for something involving Saber. Something other than that doujinshi where Shirou partly takes over mana support duty in the way you'd expect.

Think we've already argued over the HF route tone in the group, so I'll abide by the double jeopardy non-discussion pact.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
NeutralDrow said:
jhoroz said:
Doesn't it appear at the end, after HF? If it does, don't you think the whole Sakura X Shirou relationship that was built up in HF would be kind of rendered moot when we suddenly have this epilogue that ships Shirou hardcore with Saber even though the Fate route was done with two routes ago and the player has already moved past Saber and Shirou's relationship?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
May as well share this video, for those who've played the game.

3:21 gets bonus points for still making me uncomfortable and sad, after all these years.

Nihilm said:
NeutralDrow said:
Hey neutral, do you have a review of melty blood? Is that worth to try and find?
I do. _>

You may want to play Kagetsu Tohya first, though. It's not necessarily story important (unless you skip to Re-Act and wonder "who the hell is this Len person?"), but there's a ton of references to it in the gameplay.

jhoroz said:
NeutralDrow said:
jhoroz said:
Doesn't it appear at the end, after HF? If it does, don't you think the whole Sakura X Shirou relationship that was built up in HF would be kind of rendered moot when we suddenly have this epilogue that ships Shirou hardcore with Saber even though the Fate route was done with two routes ago and the player has already moved past Saber and Shirou's relationship?
I suppose? I dunno, I never really thought of it like that, since every route is self-contained (Nasuverse stories even more than most VNs). Sakura and Shirou's relationship is built up during Heaven's Feel and the story relating that ends, but that doesn't mean it's invalidated in any way, that just means it's how that ends. Plot distance doesn't really matter, any more than the Heaven's Feel endings rendered the Fate ending trivial. Last Episode was just something written by Nasu as bonus material for the PS2 re-release, for whatever reason (possibly fanservice for Saber fans, since she doesn't get a "good" ending like Rin or Sakura).

Though I guess I should concede some bias, since I never really "moved past" Saber and Shirou's relationship. She was still my favorite character in the game, Continuation of the Dream was still my favorite ending, and Heaven's Feel was in some ways incredibly painful as a result. It took me a while before I could forgive <color=white>True Assassin, and it took me a very long time to make the game's very last decision.
I knew the right choice was to stab her, and I loved Sakura dearly at that point, but killing Dark Saber was still the hardest choice I ever had to make. Until I played Kana: Little Sister, but that's a whole 'nother story.

She just left that much of an impact on me.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
NeutralDrow said:
UBW good end is Saber's good end. She survives and lives a normal life. Her relationship with Shirou is that of a sister, and Rin is, from what I could tell, a person Shirou just happens to have fucked, twice, rather than a lover.
I'd highly recommend you play the Good End for UBW, I'm pretty sure you'd love it, given we share the whole not-getting-over-Saber thing. It has similar screen time for Saber as Fate did, since you're constantly talking to her, not Rin.

jhoroz said:
NeutralDrow said:
jhoroz said:
You need all 5 endings, so Fate -> 1 UBW route -> HF TrueEnd, and then replaying HF's last 5 minutes for Normal End and then going back and redoing all of UBW for the 5th ending is the way I did Fate/Stay Night, I imagine it's a fairly common path.

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
Richardplex said:
NeutralDrow said:
UBW good end is Saber's good end. She survives and lives a normal life. Her relationship with Shirou is that of a sister, and Rin is, from what I could tell, a person Shirou just happens to have fucked, twice, rather than a lover.
I'd highly recommend you play the Good End for UBW, I'm pretty sure you'd love it, given we share the whole not-getting-over-Saber thing. It has similar screen time for Saber as Fate did, since you're constantly talking to her, not Rin.

jhoroz said:
NeutralDrow said:
jhoroz said:
You need all 5 endings, so Fate -> 1 UBW route -> HF TrueEnd, and then replaying HF's last 5 minutes for Normal End and then going back and redoing all of UBW for the 5th ending is the way I did Fate/Stay Night, I imagine it's a fairly common path.
Personally, I went Fate -> UBW(2x endings) -> HF(2x endings), since i had like over 100 idividual saves total in the game, since I had 1 save at every decision point in all of the routes.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
I'm a relatively new Type Moon fan, having played Tsukihime two years ago (I think) and having played Fate/Stay Night last year. I have yet to experience all the endings of either game, but I plan to fix that soon. Kagetsu Tohya is the most recent Type-Moon game I've been playing. I have yet to experience any ending for that game.

Naturally, being a fan of fighting games and Tsukihime, Melty Blood is a game I have been playing.

I play a large variety of fighting games, and I have to say, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code is my favourite fighting game of all. The level of freedom Melty offers in movement, offence, and defence is simply unparalleled.

Anyway, I'm surprised and pleased to see a Type-Moon thread!

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
Razentsu said:
I'm a relatively new Type Moon fan, having played Tsukihime two years ago (I think) and having played Fate/Stay Night last year. I have yet to experience all the endings of either game, but I plan to fix that soon. Kagetsu Tohya is the most recent Type-Moon game I've been playing. I have yet to experience any ending for that game.

Naturally, being a fan of fighting games and Tsukihime, Melty Blood is a game I have been playing.

I play a large variety of fighting games, and I have to say, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code is my favourite fighting game of all. The level of freedom Melty offers in movement, offence, and defence is simply unparalleled.

Welcome to the thread :), if your into anime at all, I suggest you watch Fate/Zero as well, since it is a masterpiece, besides getting all the endings that would more or less complete all the major stuff, hmm and Kara no Kyokai if your interested.

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
I3uster, I know you are watching. Linking this only makes you an elitist douchebag (as are everyone else in BL)

P.S. Muvluv is shit

Nihilm

Apr 3, 2010
rayman 101 said:
I3uster, I know you are watching. Linking this only makes you an elitist douchebag (as are everyone else in BL)

P.S. Muvluv is shit

This post confused me to no end, can anyone explain?

Ambrose

Jul 30, 2013
l3uster posted this thread to a topic on Beast's Lair, the Type-Moon forum, where it got maybe 40 posts of relevance before the topic once again derailed into something stupid. Or in other words, nothing even slightly important.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Nihilm said:
Razentsu said:

Welcome to the thread :), if your into anime at all, I suggest you watch Fate/Zero as well, since it is a masterpiece, besides getting all the endings that would more or less complete all the major stuff, hmm and Kara no Kyokai if your interested.
Oh man, I am definitely into anime. I'm almost done with Fate/Zero, having only two more episodes left to watch. I'm nearly done with KnK as well, having only the final movie left to watch. I am loving both works.

Not only do KnK and Fate/Zero tell intriguing stories, but they also deliver very strong audio and visual experiences. Holy moly, Ufotable and Yuki Kajiura.

KyteM

Apr 3, 2010
Nihilm said:
rayman 101 said:

P.S. Muvluv is shit

This post confused me to no end, can anyone explain?
Someone being butthurt, I assume?