Faulty Xbox One Disc Drives Reported by Some Buyers

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Faulty Xbox One Disc Drives Reported by Some Buyers

<youtube=lOPcMT5DHWY>​
A small number of Xbox One users have documented a grinding sound from the disc drive.

For small percentage of people at launch, buying a new piece of technology is frustrating. In a number of YouTube videos, Xbox One users who bought their systems at today's launch are receiving a disc drive error. When inserting a disc, the drive makes a grinding noise. After a few moments, the system says it cannot read the disc.

So far the number of reported disc drive issues appears minimal. Only begun to address [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOPcMT5DHWY] the issues. There are many 1-star Amazon reviews of the Xbox One noting disc drive problems; however, make sure to take online storefront reviews with a grain of salt as anyone can write them.

This appears to be a problem with the hardware rather than a problem with the disc as inserting different discs yields the same result. Microsoft currently has a support page called "My disc won't load on the Xbox One console." [http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/system/disc-error ] The company's first solution is to examine the disc and carefully wipe the disc from the inside to the outside with a soft cloth. If the problem persists with other discs, the console may need servicing. If you're having problems with your Xbox One reading discs, and you've positioned the console vertically, place it horizontally and try again as the Xbox One was not designed for vertical standing.

A small number of cases of manufacturing problems are to be expected, unfortunately, and the PS4 had some problems the day it launched as well. If you're having problems, contact Microsoft. Anyone with a faulty console will more than likely have a new one shipped to them.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOPcMT5DHWY]

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
More surprising is in this day and age MS went with a Disk drive that can't be used vertically? Really? Somebody made that engineering decision?

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
The company's first solution is to examine the disc and carefully wipe the disc from the inside to the outside with a soft cloth.
It always amuses me how useless first level tech advice is.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
oldtaku said:
The company's first solution is to examine the disc and carefully wipe the disc from the inside to the outside with a soft cloth.
Well at least it wasn't turn it off and on again.

OT: is there a concrete number, or is it too early for that?

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Wouldn't read too much into it just like the PS4 bricking reports, we wont know exactly how many are fucked for a few months.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
As soon as I saw this all I could think of was this

After the problems the 360 had with its disc tray you would think they would have made more of an effot this time round,

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Pretty much called this happening as soon as they said don't use the console vertically because of the disc drive. Just screams using cheap parts, which is impressive when you consider even a blu-ray drive can be found for ~£20 at retail.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
I lost one of my 360s to essentially the same thing. The gears in the 360 disc tray are all plastic. If one of them goes the disc cant turn.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
So, PS4s are lighting up red like cylons and the Xbones are eating discs. Sucks to be the early adopting beta testers there.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
roseofbattle said:
If you're having problems, contact Microsoft. Anyone with a faulty console will more than likely have a new one shipped to them.
This part I truely never understand, it's a new product and you have warranty, why don't take it back to the store and get either a new one or a refund? I don't see the point to send it to the factory to get a re furbish one, let the retailer deal with that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
WickedFire said:
Pretty much called this happening as soon as they said don't use the console vertically because of the disc drive. Just screams using cheap parts, which is impressive when you consider even a blu-ray drive can be found for ~£20 at retail.
I predicted it as well. It wasn't hard. I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be the cause of many problems for the Xbone. The original idea was to use the drive only for installations. They wouldn't use high quality drives for something like that. But now when the disc needs to be inside all the time, having a cheap drive could be a huge problem. Sony might have the same problem too. Rumors that surfaced a while ago suggested that Sony had the same plans as Microsoft originally.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
So the PS4 has the Blue Line of Death and the Xbone has the Cheap Disc Drive of Death...

#NextGen

Really though, it must suck to one of the unlucky few that gets super hyped unboxing their launch consoles only to have this shit happen. I know hardware failures happen all the time but I'd still be pissed if that happened to me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Much as I'd like to take the piss out of them for this, uhh...this is actually pretty normal. PS4's record low rate of failure is more surprising, truth be told. I mean, unless ALOT of them are eating discs, this isn't cause for concern yet. Wait for it to be eating discs, kinect failing, running worse than XBLA, rude customer service, system glitchy, and Microsoft banning for some perceived issue.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
KarmaTheAlligator said:
oldtaku said:
Well at least it wasn't turn it off and on again.
I work in IT with part of my duties being a helpdesk. I die a little inside each time I have to say that to a user. And I shit my pants when a user opens "I'm having trouble with XYZ. ANNNNNNNNND...I've already tried restarting." Not adding "so don't even bother telling me to do that."

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
FFP2 said:
So the PS4 has the Blue Line of Death and the Xbone has the Cheap Disc Drive of Death...

#NextGen

Really though, it must suck to one of the unlucky few that gets super hyped unboxing their launch consoles only to have this shit happen. I know hardware failures happen all the time but I'd still be pissed if that happened to me.
Given a choice, I'd prefer my console failing PS4 style, than my console damaging my disc as it fails XBONE style. Unless MS is replacing games damaged by the console as well.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Much as I'd like to take the piss out of them for this, uhh...this is actually pretty normal. PS4's record low rate of failure is more surprising, truth be told. I mean, unless ALOT of them are eating discs, this isn't cause for concern yet. Wait for it to be eating discs, kinect failing, running worse than XBLA, rude customer service, system glitchy, and Microsoft banning for some perceived issue.
Unless your a troll then any failure is excessive and unacceptable.

Waiting for that wave of comments in here next.