Favorite cast of characters

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
The cast of Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex. They play off each other wonderfully.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Above all, Breaking Bad. There is not a single character in that show who is just there for the sake of being there. Everyone is amazingly characterized and exquisitely acted. (Yes, including Marie)
And Breaking Bad is host to my favorite character of all times Hector Salamanca [sub]"Ding"[/sub]

Breaking Bad is the standout winner for best cast, for me.

The honerable mentions

Record of Agarest War has the second best cast, if only for a couple of dead weight characters (Stupid Fer)
But despite all that, it is home to at least 6 of my top 10 favorite characters

Avatar: The last Airbender has an amazing cast of characters with unbelievable chemistry and relationships for what is a kids show. It's also home to my second favorite character ever Toph Bei Fong

Red Vs. Blue. Nothing survives on the internet for 10 years without being fucking AMAZING!

Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged, Not Dragon Ball Z, but the parody version on Youtube...

For those of you who don't know...

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (The novel rather than the manga or film). I've never been so sad, excited, nervous or happy about a character I'd met only a page earlier as I had when reading this book. I think it's amazing that when so many minor minor characters have to be dispatched, you still get a real sense of character and feel the tragedy of every single one. I love them all (well, nearly all).

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Steins;Gate is not the only cast where I have liked every individual but it is the one that made me go from "I am gonna hate every single one of these characters" after the first episode to actually getting emotional if something happened to any of them. Especially Okabe, I thought he was gonna grate on my nerves after the first few episodes but by the end he became one of my all time favourite characters. Also every girl is best girl goddamnit.

I should really play the visual novel at some point as well.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I can't pick only one.
Books.- The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Seriously, I loved evey single character. Masterfully crafted.

Films.- I really loved the cast of Amadeus, Let The Right One In, All About Lily Chou-Chou, City of God, Old Boy, Sympathy for Lady Vengance, Amores Perros, Corpse Bride and The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Video Games: Persona 3&4, The Witcher 2, Spec Ops The Line, Silent Hill 2, Team Fortress 2, Thief, Bioshock 1 & Infinite, Grim Fandango and killer7.

Series/Anime.- Neon Genesis Evangelion, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Futurama, Spice and Wolf.

dudagato

Jul 14, 2010
My choice is the cast from Kid Icarus: Uprising, any cast that has Hades is just the best, everyone is just so funny in their own way (but mostly Hades), and it is realy fun to replay the chapters just to hear the characters interact with eatch other, mainly the ones Hades is in).

Did i already mention that i love Hades, cause i don't think i did.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
The first thing that pops into my head (it was on the other day) is Pulp Fiction. Even pretty minor characters like the Wolf are brilliant, and the Vincent/Jules double act is really awesome.

Pretty much all the Tarantino movies have a really solid cast, but I think Pulp wins (if not just for Jules). I never feel like a character is just there to fill a role in the story, they each have defined personalities, even minor parts (which makes it all the more effective when they die).

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Order of the Triad from the Venture bros since they aren't the main characters they have their own time and most of the time they have their own jokes and end up in the most retarded situations.

Dr Orpheus being my favourite character out of the 3.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
For a series I must say Soul Eater since its not been said.
As many said above for examples, they have motivations, fears, friends, enemies, and a intersting character calle dChorna which i must say is my favorite person ever in all time.

for a movie Saving Private Ryan. Just 'Cause.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
The cast of Friday Night Lights except for Jason Street. I don't care if you're a cripple, Street, you suck.

I almost said X-men, but then I realized there's a colossal number of them are awful. I don't know how that team has gone 40 years without disemboweling Storm.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The crew from archer:

Name one of these people who you don't like or hasn't made you laugh. Oh wait, you can't.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
I'm partial to the crew from the Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron books.
Where else could a running joke of Wedge Antilles getting pranked by a junior officer actually turn into a plot point later? (they hacked into his transceiver and modulated his voice to sound like an Ewok)
Are you partial to Rogues or Wraiths in particular? I'm more of a Rogue guy because of Corran Horn. Only he can make screwing a space otter seem sexy (And then immediately regretting it the day after).

As for my pick of favorite Cast:
This is only about a third of them. Of note missing in the picture is Nog, Rom, Garak, Martok, Cassidy Yates, Bareil, Dukat, Damar, Ezri, Ziyal, Gowron, Morn, and god knows how many others. It's an enormous cast of rotating characters, and nearly all of them share some interaction. Having the huge amount of regulars made DS9 special among the Trek shows, because it meant that past events were not forgotten, and consequences could arise from unresolved plotlines.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Are you partial to Rogues or Wraiths in particular? I'm more of a Rogue guy because of Corran Horn. Only he can make screwing a space otter seem sexy (And then immediately regretting it the day after).
I lean more towards the Rogues myself, though Face Lorraine and Wes Janson make a damn compelling case.
Especially when Wedge gets his revenge on Wes.

PilgrimScott_III

Sep 28, 2011
The entire cast of The World Ends With You. Every single one of them pretty much leaps off the screen, and were easily the best part of the game for me. Helps that the 'westernization' of the dialogue was masterfully done as well.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Would have to be the cast from the first Ninja Turtles movie (excluding Shredder and Tatsu - they were a little underdeveloped). The Turtles, Splinter, April and Casey all work so well together, and the familiar love the Turtles and Splinter share for each other despite some conflicting personalities just works. Despite the story and archetypes being super cliche, made for children, and the overall premise being completely ridiculous (teenage mutant ninja turtles? WTF?) the characters alone are enough to sell it for me.

As for games, that would be Majora's Mask. There was soooo much characterisation in that game, and not just among the main characters (in fact, the game didn't focus on them much at all). It feels like a real world, which each NPC having a fully realised personality, daily routine, and attitude towards their impending doom. There's Mutoh with his stubborn adherence to tradition even in the face of death, the swordsman who tries to hide his cowardice by boasting about how he'll cut the moon into pieces, Cremia drugging her little sister to ease the stress of death, the postman who feels so trapped by his work he can't leave unless it's been scheduled, and of course the love story between Kafei and Anju. That game was filled to the brim with character depth.

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
TV: Star Trek TNG, I saw someone else mention DS9, which I've only just recently gotten into (just started season 4 it's pretty dang epic), but right now I still find TNG to be the better show with a more likeable set of characters.

Movie: The Royal Tenenbaums, really great movie that is all about the characters, and they are all really quirky and interesting.

Video game: To the Moon, this was probably the hardest for me to pick, but I really love all the characters in this game. Very natural and charming interactions between all of them.

Book: Hitchhiker's Guide series, includes some of my favourite characters of all time, such as Arthur, Zaphod, and Marvin, are all hilarious and well written.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010

I'm going with Fullmetal Alchemist. There were characters I loved and characters I despised because I was supposed to despise them. Everything came together, characters grew and became so much more than, "the cocky colonel" or "the short, arrogant kid". You know how much I love the series? It's one of the only two anime series I've watched more than twice (the other being Angel Beats!).