Favorite Civ in the Civ Series?

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
From what little I know about Beyond Earth, I'm gonna go with whichever faction makes the Supremacy ending the easiest.

Transhumanism all the way!

Superlative

May 14, 2012
I'm going have to go with Songhai because I like his bonuses.

Asika is the most boss dude in the entire game. I mean here is this dude just chilling behind a burning building with his sword hanging out, not even looking at it like that kind of thing happens everyday...because for him it does. most people consider barbarians problems, this guy treats them like piggy banks for buying troops to fuel his inevitable conquest of everyone. I mean this dude is so pimp that after Russia got wiped off the map Cathrine the Great starting batting her eyes and making these hints about going to Gao and bringing her S&M gear with her.

I mean this dude is so awesome he made that goofy dutch dude put on pants. real paints. and some shows without pink ribbons.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I like playing as the Celts and getting all the faith and religion bonus' before everyone else. Plus, you don't have to build shrines early in game.

Chinese are good as well, Chu-ke nu's are so bloody useful and it's fun cheekily taking territory using great generals to expand your borders.

Thirdly I like the Inca's, slingers are good starting archers and you save load of gold on tile upgrades.

I had no idea the Shoshone were over-powered, I'm going to have to give them a go sometime.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sadly I have a very...VERY limited perspective as the only one I've played is Civ. Rev. :p

That said I wanted to stop by just to express that I really, really enjoy the game and wish I had a better PC so I could play some of the other Civ games.

As for my favorite civilization in the game, it's hard to say...they all have pretty good bonuses. As such I tend to play as Random. That said, if I HAD to pick one over the rest, I'd have to go with the Aztecs. Their ability to fully heal armies after every victory is obscenely good. It makes it so that if someone's trying to take a city, they have to take out your defenders with a single attack, or the next group of attackers will be fighting the full force of those same defenders. And since (generally speaking) defensive units have a very strong advantage when defending a city, you can just stick maybe 2 armies of them for defense rather than having to put in 4 or 5.

The Indians are a lot of fun too, though. The fact that they start the game able to use all special resources is very useful, especially if you're lucky enough to start with some Dye or Gems or Gold or something near your capital city. Dye in particular since it can give you a very good head-start on early-game research.

Then again, the Japanese are really nice too. Their cities come with built-in harbors, making for fast population growth. And who doesn't like having some Samurai Knights, right? :p

Then there's the Greeks with their half-price Famous People, starting the game with a Courthouse and Democracy as their base-government.

The Mongols kick ass for rushing, but it's easy to over extend yourself if you convert too many barbarian villages and have no units to defend yourself with.

See what I mean? It's hard to pick just one when they all have such great stuff going for them. But yeah, in the end I've gotta go with the Aztecs.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I'm a big fan of the Arabians in Civ V. Camel Archers are a surprisingly great unit, excellent for hit and run tactics. But the best thing about Arabia is the bazaar. SO. MUCH. GOLD.

I think as of BNW Venice has more economic potential, but even so Arabia is an economic powerhouse. It's so much fun to just buy giant armies or city state allies and frustrate your poorer opponents.

Other civs I enjoy a lot are Venice, Denmark, Ottomans, Iroquois, Japan, England, France... Really all can be fun. But these are my favourites.

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
Spain, Insane boost from wonders (start next to the silver mountain and 20 gold per turn later) and the sheer destructive power of Tercio and Conquistodors in a era when I have massive wars with everyone it seems.

Celts are second because I love celtic lore, myth, style etc etc

Japan for third. Only because the Asian music has one of the worst sounding songs ever. Drop that, and they are number 1.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
I love a lot of them (Shoshone, Byzantium), but the Celts have got to have one of my favorite strategies. There's nothing like being able to backdoor an army by paying for it with Faith (Religious Fervor), I call it the Holy War strategy.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Civ IV: India, fast workers remain awesome for the entire game.
Civ V: Germany, seriously it's like "oh you want to have the largest army on the map? go right ahead".

But Russia is probably the most reliably good Civ if you go across all the games, Cossacks basically never suck.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I also like playing Rome and America.

I like the building bonus for Rome and the Legionnaires are awesome.

For America, I like how easy it is expand. Very useful early on to border blockade sections of the map before they have the tech to sail around so you can claim it for yourself.

Sep 14, 2009
god dammit this was the wrong thread for me to enter...I have this HUMONGOUS urge to go play civ V/IV/rev a whole shit ton now.

In Civ V (with all the expansions included) for some reason I seem to dominate with poland (the odd coincidence most of my family heritage is from poland...meant to be?)

Most AI's don't seem to horde the horse/stables too much, so when I expand with them I tend to pick up quite a few, and mid game after a few free social policies, my winged hussar's come into play and the AI goes into instant "GG, can't compete" as I steamroll across the land.

that being said, I know there are way more powerful civ's in the three games listed. (god damn aztecs)

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Korea / University of Planet ( For Alpha Centuri)
The basic reason is the same, victory through SCIENCE!
When your opponents are sending tanks against your Giant Death Robots, that's when you know you're doing it right.
While trying to get the achievements for low difficulty victory I once wiped out the aztecs, they were sending Jaguar Warriors against my Giant Death Robots and X-com squads... suffice to say that was one sided....

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Hmmm, tough one. The funniest for me is probably Russia in Civ 5- having double strategic resources means that you can build vast numbers of Giant Death Robots and dominate late-game. England's also pretty good, I tend to use the extra spy to become the ally of as many city-states as I can and then run the World Congress.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
VENICE!

YOU GET A TRADE FLEET YOU GET A TRADE FLEET YOU ARE ALL GETTING TRADE FLEETS!
I went to war with Atilla the Hun since he was burning down cities meaning not all my trade fleets could be used.

I was the Ferengi of Civ 5 basically.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
Egypt. Rush build pyramids and the great library and you end up with a tech/production lead that can carry you through the entire game. Seriously though, Egypt is overpowered.

When I'm playing against other people I tend to go for Aztec (Jaguars are terrifying, especially if you're playing marathon) for the early game combat boost, Washington for land-heavy maps or Hawaii if it's an archepelago map. I'll also do India if it's a Pangea.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I like India, just because it's a total WTF when Ghandi starts nuking suckas.

PPB

May 25, 2009
I'm not very original and tend to favour Rome. It's always the first Civ I play when a new game comes around and I keep going back to it every once in a while. My reasons are mostly subjective, being a big fan of Roman history. I'm not much of a warmonger in Civ, and prefer to play "tall" than "wide", so Rome's bonuses are not all that good for me. But whenever I think of Civilization, I automatically think of Rome.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
My favorite so far -- China.

Their unique library (paper maker) not only gives you +2 gold for economic stability early in the game, but it also doesn't cost any maintenance. Their generals give a 30% combat bonus instead of 15%. I don't like having a whole lot of units because the maintenance costs a lot so having my units stronger is always important (which is why I also like Japan And, as an added bonus, she even earns generals faster, so if I'm going for a domination victory I always have more generals than I need. I usually use those extra generals from snatching land from neighbors, It's especially useful if they have a luxury or a resource close to the border than I can snatch to make them weaker before my assault. And then there's the Chu-Ko-Nu. Yea, it's not as strong as the crossbowman, but that doesn't matter much when it can attack twice! Probably my favorite combat unit in the entire game of Civ 5 next to the Jaguars and Dromons.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Tanis said:
I prefer any Civ that give s me bonuses on Culture and Faith.

Culture, for obvious reasons, and Faith because (late-game) you can buy any Great Person you need/want.
Pretty much. Ethiopia in Civ 5 is the shit as are Egypt and the Arabian empire.

Hugh Wright

Apr 2, 2010
In Civ 4 either Native Americians (with Stonehedge) or Korea. The Turtles or the nerds.
In Civ 5 Indonesia for the early game exploration bonus (especially in fractal or archipelago maps)

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Japan, I love Bushido. All of your units are threatening all of the time, it's great. I don't really have any other favorites though.