Favorite death scene in any medium?

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
I'm going to mention the characters who had interesting death scenes:

Dinobot
Transmutate
Mordin (Went out with a song in his heart)
Thane ("It's not for me, it's for you")
Legion
Tali
The characters in the first Scary Movie had some funny deaths.
Optimus Prime

unreal51

Nov 13, 2011
Lets start with Gurren Lagann
Every death but mainly Nia because it was right at the end and at least she had a nice end
Angel Beats
Yuzuru's story and death got to me and I don't know if they count but as soon as Naoi looked up with tears in his eyes at the graduation I cried like a child

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
prophecy2514 said:
In the Movies - probably Boromir's death at the hand of Lurtz in LOTR fellowship of the ring
I'd vote this as well.

"I would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king."

No matter how often I watch this scene, it still hurts.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Easton Dark said:
In the interest of non-spoilers:

The New Emperor's "death" in the final episode of Code Geass. It was beautiful.
This for me, end of cowboy bebop would be 2nd.

Feb 22, 2009
It's not so much about the death, it's more how the character of Ziggy just completely breaks down and goes crazy. Such an unexpected moment.

Thane 8'(

Since you said any medium, I'm gonna go ahead and put the death of the Sandman in here too. That whole final story arc, including the stuff after his death, was just the finest writing I've ever seen in comics.

KillKill

Sep 6, 2011
glchicks said:
The gelding of Danaerys' brother in game of thrones. I imagined it being a little messier in the book but the show pulled it off well i thought.
Gilding dude, gelding would have been very different. But yeah, I'm with you, that was one hell of a death.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
mattttherman3 said:
Oh heres a good one, graphic, Alex Murphey from Robocop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOkZIay0J00
Screw the remake, nothing will ever match the original.

I'm gonna say this is one that sticks with me as it was the first brutal killing I ever saw....I think I was 9.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
My current faviorite is from Legend of Korra

When Tarlok ignites the boat to kill both him and his brother. Its not that I cared about these characters. I didn't ever love them or cared for them but they way its done. The music. Amon's tear. The way Tarlok says "Yes. Just like old times." It just all comes together so well to create an amazing scene."

Also Gurren Lagan has one of my favourite death scenes. If you've watched the show you know who I mean. However there are some others down the line that are also pretty good.

The death of all the secondary characters during the battle with the Anti Spirals was so touching. I didn't realize how much I cared for those characters until that final battle. And it wasn't until a subsequent watching that I REALLY realized how great these guys were.

Recently though I've been watching Justice League and it has made me realize how hard it is to make a death scene that is touching and makes you care. There are so many faceless deaths in that show that it makes death seem like it doesn't matter in that show. It really made me realize how hard it is to make something meaningful.

CAPTCHA: Zombie prom.

Dance you crazy zombies. Dance on.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
This makes me cry every time, and I've lost count of how many times I've seen it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
HardkorSB said:
the opening scene to "Ghost Ship".

To me, that is going to be very hard to beat. Trying.

EDIT: Maybe this at the end of the clip?

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
From a Storm of Swords
The death of Joffrey. The fact that he pathetically joked to death because of poison in front of everyone was just so satisfying.
You bastard, I didn't know that was a Game of Thrones book. :mad:

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Not sure if either of these count as "dying", but they're my favorite.
In the second to last episode, when the 2 disabled Tachikomas sacrifice themselves to destroy armored combat suit and save Batou. The oily tear the one Tachikoma sheds always gets to me.

Yes, I know their "consciousness" is actually stored in the satellite, which they sacrifice to stop the nuke in 2ndGig. But, that doesn't really resonate with me.
In the final battle with "father", while Ed's auto-mail arm is destroyed, the other impaled on rebar and the armor around Al's blood seal begins to crumble, Al transmutes his own soul to return Ed's arm to him.

Yes, Ed brings Al back, body and soul.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I_am_a_Spoon said:
Wakikifudge said:
From a Storm of Swords
The death of Joffrey. The fact that he pathetically joked to death because of poison in front of everyone was just so satisfying.
You bastard, I didn't know that was a Game of Thrones book. :mad:
ROFL sorry. But really, if you didn't know what it was, why did you click it? And how did you immediately know that it was from the A Song of Ice and Fire series? There are a lot of people named
Joffrey
in literature, gaming, TV, and movies.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Arfonious said:
Legion said:
Spoilers people, for crying out loud. They are not difficult.
Do you really think that people read this thread and don't expect spoilers?
Seriously, I try and remain polite on this forum but...

Spoiler tags are so people can see what the spoiler is about and can choose whether or not to view it. It takes 10 fucking seconds to type it out, and does people a favour rather than having to avoid an entire bloody topic just so as not to have a series ruined for them without warning.

Snape kills Dumbledore

Wow, that was really difficult.

If people use tags like I did, you can then look at it and think "Well, do I want to know about a death in this series? Or do I want to keep it a surprise as I have not experienced it yet."

I know common courtesy is a lot to ask when it comes to something so simple and easy to do, but maybe I am just too naive.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
nikki191 said:
anthony87 said:
GunsmithKitten said:
Captain Rhodes going down in Day of the Dead. There's enough ham here to supply an Easter dinner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShPsD2kKUeg
Choke on em!
.....seriously?

I get ninja'd on THAT!

I tip my hat to you good sir/madam. Let me help you with that embedding.

Please do not be eating as I explain the following

They filmed day of the dead in the middle of a heat wave and the intestines, etc used were from a local butchers. the scene showed was due to be filmed on the monday morning so on friday after shooting the barrel of offal was placed in large fridge and the crew went home.. monday morning they discovered the fridge had lost power and yeah you can imagine the smell and the flies that were attracted.

to cut a long story short they didnt have time to reshoot so the horrified reaction by the actor who plays rhodes is pretty genuine and appartently he was throwing up afterwards

for me its shooting people with a mircowave gun in crusader no remorse/no regret. they start screaming and you end up with a pile of goop and bones on the floor
Great job on his part for hanging in there, rotten meat is just awful... just bloody awful. Great scene though, his last words were funny as hell.

Oh, and those Crusader fire deaths were always a hoot for me.

A lot of great ones to choose from mine is...
Maggie dies in Million Dollar Baby. It took every ounce of my willpower not to bawl like an infant. I won't lie, I was moved, and for a movie that's a rare thing.

vasudean

May 30, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
We all have our favorite death scenes, but for me, it has to be the death of Dinobot in Beast Wars, wow, that really hit me hard as a kid, I never even really liked him all that much but holy shit, did that ever make me weep. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQblCuUZWw

So what's everyone elses?
I have two which I love very much, and since I can't pick, I'll just say both of them. The first one is above, made me sad because Dinobot was one of my favorite characters in the series(other than Cheetor). The other one is Mordin Solus' death http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY2erMeGh5w. He sacrificed himself to save an entire race. That moved me bigtime.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
SagaciousRyu said:
I'm surprised no one else posted this already, but the end of Cowboy Bebop.

See you, space cowboy.

I'm gonna ignore spoilers here this this thread is full of them anyway:

Its not made clear if Spike died or not, its left up to interpretation.

Also how can you heartless bastards not post this:

DevilWithaHalo

Mar 22, 2011
Kickass...
<youtube=CIMo8kuKHP4>
Assassination of Jesse James...
<youtube=wPIivI1K6f0>
Two from The Road to Perdition...
<youtube=IK7hBG4xQhQ> <youtube=yTRZROLq1as>
I am Legend...
<youtube=KOGug3SXWDY>
The Last Samurai...
<youtube=sZTWCwqmgLc>
Two from Jet Li's Hero...
<youtube=KeTBqolcrO8> <youtube=mVz7MYcgXAY>
Black Hole...
<youtube=9bGOsQFMEbs>
Bladerunner...
<youtube=ZTzA_xesrL8>
X-men First class; the Coin Scene.

Ugh... too many. And this is just movies!