Favorite Downer or Bittersweet Endings in Video Games (obvious spoilers)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Silentpony said:
Probably Far Cry 5, 'cause shit's fucked. The canon 'Good' ending is the world is engulfed in Nuclear fire, half your friends died, and you live as a slave or sex slave to Joseph Seed, depending on gender. Bad endings are all manner of you dying, everyone dying, all your friends dying, or you killing all your friends, then becoming a willing servant/sex servant.

So...yeah.

Also 'Oh by the way we infiltrated the Nuclear facilities off screen without your knowledge' is a hell of an ass-pull in the 3rd act. Great game, great story and character, fucked the landing so hard it got pregnant and gave birth to New Dawn.
I loved the fucking ending. Far Cry until now has been such a power fantasy to have the game just punch you in the gut and say "Fuck you, your struggles were all in vain", had me laughing.

Obvious answers of Telltale's The Walking Dead seasons 1 & 2, honorable mention to Mass Effect 3 as well. That damn music can hit you hard.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Elfgore said:
Silentpony said:
Probably Far Cry 5, 'cause shit's fucked. The canon 'Good' ending is the world is engulfed in Nuclear fire, half your friends died, and you live as a slave or sex slave to Joseph Seed, depending on gender. Bad endings are all manner of you dying, everyone dying, all your friends dying, or you killing all your friends, then becoming a willing servant/sex servant.

So...yeah.

Also 'Oh by the way we infiltrated the Nuclear facilities off screen without your knowledge' is a hell of an ass-pull in the 3rd act. Great game, great story and character, fucked the landing so hard it got pregnant and gave birth to New Dawn.
I loved the fucking ending. Far Cry until now has been such a power fantasy to have the game just punch you in the gut and say "Fuck you, your struggles were all in vain", had me laughing.

Obvious answers of Telltale's The Walking Dead seasons 1 & 2, honorable mention to Mass Effect 3 as well. That damn music can hit you hard.
Far Cry has plenty of downer endings before 5. Hell, the only straight up unambiguous good endings are from Far Cry 1, Instincts (Evolution not so much), and one of the secret endings from 4 you can achieve early in the game. This is nothing new.

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
CoCage said:
Far Cry has plenty of downer endings before 5. Hell, the only straight up unambiguous good endings are from Far Cry 1, Instincts (Evolution not so much), and one of the secret endings from 4 you can achieve early in the game. This is nothing new.
I'd argue to the extent of it, it was. Far Cry 3 ends with you defeating the pirates & mercenaries, though if Jason decides to walk away is up to you. Far Cry 4 is kinda a better example. As you replace one despot with either a religious or immoral despot. Either way you defeat the bad guy. Far Cry 5 has zero endings in which you defeat the bad guy. No matter what his power is still there. None of the possible three endings can be called good. Unlike the others.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Elfgore said:
CoCage said:
I'd argue to the extent of it, it was. Far Cry 3 ends with you defeating the pirates & mercenaries, though if Jason decides to walk away is up to you. Far Cry 4 is kinda a better example. As you replace one despot with either a religious or immoral despot. Either way you defeat the bad guy. Far Cry 5 has zero endings in which you defeat the bad guy. No matter what his power is still there. None of the possible three endings can be called good. Unlike the others.
Interestingly, I'd consider the "Jason stays on the island" to be the real ending considering just how well it completes his descent into madness that seems to characterize the islands inhabitants so much. He's given the option to betray and execute his friends for the ultimate power fantasy, to live a life of murder and without rules on a tropical island with the bonus of getting to bang an exotic, dangerous hot girl....who promptly kills him once the sex is finished, because if you hadn't noticed before she's fucking crazy and murdering your friends for sex with a crazy lady ends just as well as you could imagine.

That and the other ending feels very truncated with "I went home but don't think I can adjust".

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Elfgore said:
CoCage said:
Check the two endings for Far Cry 2. It's a no win situation for everyone. Not even The Jackal.

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Dalisclock said:
Elfgore said:
CoCage said:
Interestingly, I'd consider the "Jason stays on the island" to be the real ending considering just how well it completes his descent into madness that seems to characterize the islands inhabitants so much. He's given the option to betray and execute his friends for the ultimate power fantasy, to live a life of murder and without rules on a tropical island with the bonus of getting to bang an exotic, dangerous hot girl....who promptly kills him once the sex is finished, because if you hadn't noticed before she's fucking crazy and murdering your friends for sex with a crazy lady ends just as well as you could imagine.

That and the other ending feels very truncated with "I went home but don't think I can adjust".
This sounds pretty familiar to Noah Caldwell-Gervais's critique on YouTube about this game. I'd recommend it! Seems up your alley.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Dalisclock said:
Interestingly, I'd consider the "Jason stays on the island" to be the real ending considering just how well it completes his descent into madness that seems to characterize the islands inhabitants so much.
I think there's two levels on which the final choice operates.

Firstly, I don't think the narrative paints the islanders as crazy. Even if we dismiss the actual magic and mysticism as just drugs, they still have a way of life and a culture which is obviously working out for them. They're generally presented to us as noble savages, as people who can offer a kind of meaning and realness which the modern, civilised world has lost. I mean, imagine Jason going home and going back to photocopying or flipping burgers. The island gave him a purpose and a chance to express a part of his nature which his own civilised society was never going to tolerate.

One of the people who worked on the game described the story as "anti-Avatar", James Cameron's Avatar being another noble savage/white saviour narrative. The ending is clever (or cleverish, there's a lot of things wrong with the game's weird messaging and politics which kind of prevent me praising it too highly for having some woke anti-colonial message) because it subverts expectations. We've seen this kind of story before, we know it ends with Jason being heralded as some kind of saviour and superior being, combining the best qualities of civilisation and savagery. Instead, Jason dies, because he is still an outsider. He is just another outsider wanting to control and rule this society to satisfy the inadequacies of his own civilised life. Maybe achieving that should not be something which is narratively assumed.

Secondly, there's a meta level to this because the player is put into the role of Jason. The player is playing this game to escape their civilized life, to murder virtual people and to generally indulge fantasies which would be horrific to ever act on in reality. The player will likely end up identifying with Jason because they have similar motivations, they're both enjoying the power fantasy.

I think it says a lot that the game can present you with a choice to murder your character's friends simply because they stand in the way of your power fantasy and have that appear reasonable. Escapism or not, I'm not sure that's something a player should ever be allowed to feel entirely comfortable with, so I sort of enjoyed it on that level too.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think there should have been a middle ending in Far cry 3 where you had saved your friend and killed the shaman priest girl but then just replace her as the head of the islander and stayed on the island (a kind of ultimate power fantasy). Cause I agree the leave the island ending just doesn't work with the rest of the game, but I ended up picking it cause I didn't see any reason why Jason would kill all his friend and never liked the shaman women (plus it was kinda obvious she was going to kill you if you stayed).