Favorite Elder Scrolls In-Game story (and why)

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
As many of you know, you can spend hours reading books in Skyrim. The number of texts only multiplies with each installment of the Elder Scrolls. Which is your favorite and why?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
inb4 Lusty argonian maid!

Also Lusty argonian maid!
I cant be bothered to read most of them, they are to dam long!

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Probably The Rear Guard. [http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rear_Guard]

First read it in Morrowind.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
greenflash said:
The Wabbajack.
Also the myth of seogorath
These
&
The Thief of Virtue
&
anything to do with the Dark Brotherhood/Sithis/Dark Mother

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
you people read this stuff? i read books for the skill upgrade and that is it. and by read i mean open book, note skill upgrade or not and drop.

Grimfolse

Feb 28, 2011
A Game at Dinner is probably my favorite. That Prince is stone-cold awesome.

Three Thieves and the Lusty Argonian Maid are fun too, for different reasons. Three Thieves gives a fun little story full of throat-slitting, and as for The Lusty Argonian Maid...I've always been a sucker for innuendo. *wink wink*

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Chance's Folly is good, so is Incocation of Azura, Trap and The Locked Room. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Locked_Room http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Trap http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Invocation_of_Azura http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Chance%27s_Folly

I like Azura and stories about people getting themselves into huge messes.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
Ahzirr Traajijazeri

Its a book written by a Khajiit about Khajiit. It describes them as a race of contridictions. They have much rage but hide it behind a smile. They belive in justice but don't follow laws ect. Its a fun look into my favorit of the elder scroll races.

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
"A Response to Bero's Speech" felt like a bit of academia, so it was really neat to see that scientific scope applied to the fantastic notion of magick.

"Palla" was neat too for the twist ending.

And I forget the name of the one with the arrow flying through the keyhole. That was good as well.

~There are a lot of great ones, aren't there?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
2920: The Last Year of the First Era

Probably the longest story in the whole set of in-game books. I guess it could be called a novella.

I read that one first, without any prior knowledge of ancient Elder Scrolls Lore (just the events of the Oblivion and Skyrim campaigns). It was a little tough to get into at first because it just keeps switching perspective between a bunch of different characters who don't seem to have any connection between them. But the story slowly builds up and eventually it all comes together, and by the end just about everyone's been betrayed or murdered.

I'd recommend reading it twice because the second time around you'll have a better idea who's who.

Also, apparently some of the main characters like Vivec and Almalexia had roles in Morrowind, which I haven't played, so maybe it would be even better for someone who's played through Morrowind.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
XMark said:
2920: The Last Year of the First Era

Probably the longest story in the whole set of in-game books. I guess it could be called a novella.

I read that one first, without any prior knowledge of ancient Elder Scrolls Lore (just the events of the Oblivion and Skyrim campaigns). It was a little tough to get into at first because it just keeps switching perspective between a bunch of different characters who don't seem to have any connection between them. But the story slowly builds up and eventually it all comes together, and by the end just about everyone's been betrayed or murdered.

I'd recommend reading it twice because the second time around you'll have a better idea who's who.

Also, apparently some of the main characters like Vivec and Almalexia had roles in Morrowind, which I haven't played, so maybe it would be even better for someone who's played through Morrowind.
I've been avoiding starting that book series until my character has all the volumes. Unfortunately, they're mostly skill books, which means they're very rare :(

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
I only read the mad rantings of necromancers who I've already killed and who were probably going to get themselves killed anyway through their incredibly hammy use of magic.

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
Ascarus said:
you people read this stuff? i read books for the skill upgrade and that is it. and by read i mean open book, note skill upgrade or not and drop.
Some good stories in there if reading is your thing. If not, disregard. It can be infuriating also, missing volume 6 or 7 of some of the longer ones. So many houses robbed...looking for the rest of The Wolf Queen.