Favorite Episode from one of your favorite Anime

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
I am just interested in what your favorite episode from one of your all time favorite Anime and why? Personally my favorite would have to be episode 22 of Steins;Gate mostly because of the emotional state that the episode put me in.
Especially when Okabe tells Kurisu that the only way to save Mayuri was to go back to the beta world line where Kurisu is stabbed. Not to mention Kurisu accepting her fate after seeing what the stress of seeing Mayuri being kill has done to Okabe. Then they confess their true feelings for each other and share several kisses. And the ending of the episode where Kurisu rushes into the lab to reciprocate her feelings just to be too late as Okabe already hit enter.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This is a tough one. I think I got it though.

FullMetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ep.64 aka the last episode.

Everything I could want to happen, happened. When that picture came up, I think I may have cried. The best ending I could imagine from a great anime.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I love Session 5 from Cowboy Bebop. I think that's when the show starts proper. The three main characters get the chemistry finally flowing and we're introduced to the series villain, or the closest thing to one.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Johnny Novgorod said:
I love Session 5 from Cowboy Bebop. I think that's when the show starts proper. The three main characters get the chemistry finally flowing and we're introduced to the series villain, or the closest thing to one.
Hard to argue against. Ballad of Fallen Angles really does get things going, although one of the strengths of CB for me is the episodic nature being akin to X-Files (most are case-of-the-week with few "mythology" episodes) rather than being over-seralized (which bugs me, but post VCR era kids these days seem to like.) That being said my favorites were Ganymede Elegy and Toys in the Attic (2 very different reasons for 2 very different episodes.)

But rather than just answer with Cowboy Bebop I'll throw a less obvious curve and say Blue Seed's "Let it Bloom in Japan! A Blizzard of One-Sided Love!" Blue Seed isn't my favorite, but it was my first anime series and as such I'll always have a bit of a soft spot for it. And episode 17 was a very nice "pause" in the series to do some interesting character development and set the stage for a departure from "monster of the week" to the drive to the finale.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I always enjoy seeing the rooftop fight between Rena and Keiichi in Higurashi no Naku koro ni. It's a nice contrast to the water fight confrontation between them earlier in the arc (book-ends!) and I'm a bit of a shipper of those two, so seeing the subtext is always pretty fun :p. Also, literally every single part of Umineko no Naku Koro ni.

Death Note has some pretty awesome moments too, for all the cheese inherent in the show ("I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"). It sends chills down my spine when I see the scene where Misa is singing her lullaby as names are being written in the notebook and we see all these deaths interspersed with what seems like a really cheerful and calming song...

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
The 22nd episode of Kill la Kill, the 18th episode of Shingeki no Kyojin, the 1st episode of Yuyushiki, the last or second to last episodes of Kyousogiga...

I couldn't just pick one.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Episode 4 of FLCL. I just love the way everything was shot and framed, from the eerie, psychological horror elements to the epic climax. Everything about this episode was magnificently done.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
It's funny because even in the subset of my favorite anime, I have substantial difficulty picking a favorite episode most of the time...
My favorite anime ever is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and if pressed I'd have to say Les Diaboles (AKA the first Demon Sisters episode), mostly for the consistently entertaining tone the episode takes, the humor is very well delivered throughout, and because the second half has literally one of the greatest fight scenes in terms of spectacle and production quality that I've ever seen in an anime.
Pulp Addiction would have to be a close second, just for the fact that absolutely every line in that episode is a masturbation joke, and it ends with them fighting sperm ghosts, that's very difficult to beat.

I'd also like to pick every episode of Watamote, because I theorize that that show was intended as a documentary about me when I was in high school, it's fairly accurate.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Episo-
Candidus said:
The 22nd episode of Kill la Kill
Dammit, beaten to the punch.

Episode 22 of Kill La Kill is just fantastic. If the writers had flown here, parachuted onto my lawn and then spent two weeks interviewing me on what i want to happen in an episode it would be pretty much exactly the same as the episode we got.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Madame_le_Flour said:
It's funny because even in the subset of my favorite anime, I have substantial difficulty picking a favorite episode most of the time...
My favorite anime ever is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, and if pressed I'd have to say Les Diaboles (AKA the first Demon Sisters episode), mostly for the consistently entertaining tone the episode takes, the humor is very well delivered throughout, and because the second half has literally one of the greatest fight scenes in terms of spectacle and production quality that I've ever seen in an anime.
Same here and aswell introducing the lovely Scanty and Kneesock to us!
I keep replaying this scene like several time (love the theme and being a polar oppersite to Panty and Stocking transformation)

Also episode 11 of Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig ("IN: Kusanagi's Labyrinth - AFFECTION"). It was an unusual episode as Motoko find herself in a magical room and it became a fairy tale in a way which was in fact an origin story of the Major and Hideo Kuze.
Also this music being played during the fairy tale part only just heightened the scene.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
Episodes 4 and 22 of Kill la Kill. 4 was just plain hilarious to watch and 22 was just a non-stop hypetrain of pure fanservice of the best kind.

I would also say an episode from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig, but I can't honestly pick between most of the episodes, although the finales of both series were great.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
hmn.. it's a tie between the 3rd episode of Pani Poni Dash where Himeko get's her cowlick ripped off and looses all her energy and the 22nd episode of Season 1 of School Rumble the sports festival one .. just gotta love some of the sport commentators comments too "Well paint my ass blue and call me a baboon!" "It's those three fat brothers that no one can remember the names of"

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I have a few but most recently i'll say Episode 13 of Attack on Titan. It's the perfect way to end the generously named Defence of Trost and Counterattack joint arcs. Seriously you could rename Defense of Trost to "oh shit everything's fucked let's get the fuck out" and it would make as much sense.

Basically the last 5/10 minutes of Episode 13 is half to three quarters of the recently established cast just heroically dying in slow motion with poignant music playing over it. AoT knows how to animate and pace action scenes correctly AKA sparingly. It's like old Star Wars when lightsabers were barely used and when Luke used it for something it was special and cool. Episode 13 is one of those rare moments where there's an extended action scene and the 3D Maneuver Gear isn't just used for a 6 second fast movement section before being stashed away again. Also extended action scenes or even small ones in AoT also carry increased tension because who's going to die this time?

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
Third episode of Ergo Proxy, as much as I enjoy the mindfuck episodes, 'cause that's when the plot gears really start to spin. Oh, and the whole build up to the climax at the end is pretty done. Not to mention "RE-L124c41+" is a great track.

[small]Okay I'll shuddup now.[/small]

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Gintama - Episode 110 - When Katsura Goes to Jail

My most re-watched episode. It's a very solid standalone told from the perceptive of a prisoner who lives in the cell across from Katsura. It's not the funniest episode, or the most dramatic or emotionally invested. The episode encapsulates the feel good, absurd, character humor that drew me to Gintama in the first place. It's a very understated and well-executed story.

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 18

I love this show and this episode is Samurai Flamenco at it's best. It's memorable, charming, and full of brilliant stupid humor. Every line and reaction is gold. Also the random Engrish killed me.

Come on! Come OOoooOOoonn!!

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Agreed, and not only that, but it sets the bar that other shows should to be compared to.
The animation is top notch. The music cues are used masterfully. The voice acting is dead-on. The A- and B-plots intertwine and affect each other beautifully. The more light-hearted scenes break up the tension without being intrusive, and they serve the narrative. Each of the cast is fleshed out, and Spike is given some much needed back story. Vicious's gets a great introduction, and sets him up as the antagonist really well. The episode is the closest thing to perfection there is, and it's only the 5th of 26.

OT: If you couldn't tell, the above. Honourable mention goes Jupiter Jazz, both parts, basically for the same reasons listed above. Ballad of Fallen Angels just barely comes out on top, but they're both exemplary.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Last episode if Cowboy Bebop.

That last scene is the most badass thing I've ever seen. I've rewatched it like six times. Do yourself a favor and watch this anime if you haven't already.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
"So there are still 50 of you left standing...at this rate, it'll be dawn before I can crack open all of your skulls."

Nothing beats Berserk.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Difficult to choose, so here's a couple. I'll echo Steins;Gate 22 and GITS:2 11, as well.

Aria-The Origination: Surrounded by That Orange Wind... (Ep.9)

The episode in which Alice graduates. It just perfectly captures everything the show has become by that point. Sweet without being saccharine, melancholic without being morose. It's kind of hard to explain why I like Aria, but I do, and this episode is the high point.

Black Lagoon: Calm Down, Two Men (Ep.7)

Might be my favourite anime, and this follows the neo-nazi low point (IMO) of the series. I love the increasing tension between Rock and Revy, I love the argument when it erupts, and that shared cigarette might just be the most perfect resolution to an episode ever. From there on, no matter how OTT the series becomes, it has Rock and Revy's relationship at its core, and I still amazed that a series so bombastic keeps them platonic, building relationship of trust. Man, I love this episode. I love this series.

Claymore: Awakening (Ep.8)

This has to be because of Theresa's death. I was unfamiliar with the manga at that point, and I didn't see it coming at all. The build up to and execution of that was perfect.

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu: The Warcry of Excessiveness (Ep.7)

I love the transformation of the rugby team from peace-loving wimps into raging psychopaths, and Sousuke is awesome here. Dumb, but hilarious. And having played rugby as a kid, and always being the last to be picked for the team, it struck a cord.

Shiki: Twentieth Mourning and Malice (Ep.20.5)

It's a toss up between this and episode 14, for the scene in which Toshio conducts a live autopsy on his recently ressurected vampire wife. This episode wins out simply by virtue of the horror lasting a whole episode. I found it physically draining to sit through ep. 20.5. I know Shiki has some detractors, but I love the careful, methodical pace and the bloody chaos when hell finally breaks lose. Splendid stuff.

Okay, that's enough from me, or I'll be here all night. Maybe Excel Saga episode 1 deserves an honourable mention, for the 'WTF-am-I-watching-this-is-awesome!' effect, though.