Favorite era / genre of music?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Looking at your CD collection / digital library / vinyl records, what type of music do you enjoy the most, and when did it come out? I used to really be into 70s NY punk rock, but now I'd have to go with British rock music from the 1960s. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Small Faces, Herman's Hermits, Them (Irish), The Action, The Attack, The Creation, Kaleidoscope / Fairfield Parlour, The Bee Gees (Australian, but have a British sound), The Pretty Things, early Pink Floyd, and probably some more I'm forgetting. It's not really a nostalgia factor, since I'm only 24. I just really like this stuff for some reason. Pretty melodies, pretty instrumentation, and I like the texture and feel of older four track analog recordings, as well as mono.

What's your favorite stuff, why, and how old are you?

Pappeska

Oct 17, 2010
Sea shanties and irish folk music. And 80's/90's rock. With some other genres mixed in.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
60% is 80's, 20% is blues, folk and country and the other 20% is random shit I bought on a whim.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
I really like a lot 90s and early 2000s music. Post-rock, indie, emo, post-punk, post-hardcore, shoegaze, dreampop, experimental type stuff. Cap'n Jazz, Joan of Ark, Tortoise, Built to Spill, Don Caballero, Fugazi, Life Without Buildings, The Moldy Peaches, Rocketship, The Robot Ate Me, Slint, Sparklehorse, ect.

There's a lot of variation and difference in those genres and bands, but they all sort of have that slightly aged, nostalgic feel to them. I was a kid when all of those bands were around, and although I didn't start listening to them until recent years, they vaguely remind me of my childhood because they came from that time. Sometimes it's easier to appreciate art once it's a bit more in the past, you can look back and reflect on it all from a more 'objective' view and kind of see it for what it is.

I'm 18 by the way.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I'm 20, and my library is comprised chiefly of music from the 1990's and 2000's. Within that, it's mostly shoegaze, post-rock, noise, folk and math-rock. But I have some jazz, some modern classical [I have no idea how you'd categorize Philip Glass and Steve Reich] and quite a bit of electronica.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Most of my library consists of hard rock and alternative stuff, namely Chevelle, Tool, and Breaking Benjamin.

I'm 19. The reason I'm got so much metallic music is probably because I like my music to have a very consistent, rhythmic feel to it.

Case in Point:
<youtube=v=O3DrD1vj0YQ&feature=related>

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I'm 22, and i'm into Early 90's grunge, such as Alice in chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Screaming trees, Pearl jam, Mother love bone, the Melvins, Hole, Veruca Salt, Mudhoney, Y'know all that good stuff.

Grunger for life Mofo's.

(I also really enjoy Riot Grrrl, how damn are those girl's badass.)

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
I'm 25, and i just love Metalcore, yes go ahead, crucify me.
Also on a retro perspective, 90's Eurodance!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Hard to say what era of music I like, and I enjoy all kind of genres, particularly, rock, alternative, pop, metal, jazz, J-pop/rock, Celtic and reggae. And I'm only 21...

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I don't have a music collection (yet) but classical, stuff with pianos and violins are awesome.
18 y.o.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I listen to mainly post-hardcore and metalcore and deathcore :D.
For example here's one of my favorites:

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Rock any good Rock music. According to my iTunes libaray most of the music I listen to is from the 90s and 2000s unsuprisingly as I grew up with that music. However the 60s is a very close third based in the numbers.

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
My main preference is 70s and 80s classic rock and heavy metal. I also like gothic/symphonic metal such as Cradle of Filth, Nightwish, Within Temptation etc. and alternative metal such as Korn, Marilyn Manson...

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
Death Metal mostly, and anything Devin Townsend puts out.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I like music from the 50's (like the ink-spots) however i'm only 16...
however i also like techno so i'm not that different