Favorite game that tanked in sales

Hoagster51

Jun 8, 2010
Bionic Commando

The remake that came out a couple years ago. That game had many faults but was overall fun to play.

Plus the multiplayer was insanely awesome. Anyone who has been online with this game knows what I am talking about. Original, fast paced, and you have to be creative to get your kills. No freebies.

NEVRINx54

Nov 12, 2009
Singularity. Had some probs but I liked the story and the multiplayer was a cross between CoD and L4D, so imagine that.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System and Psychonauts.

I'd also like to say Valkyria Chronicles, but it's sales have steadily improved thanks to the efforts of it's fanbase.

ZombieMonkey7

Dec 24, 2009
Well I'm just going to say a recent game called shadows of the damned, the gamestop I bought it at only stocked 2 copies of the game and when I asked the cashier for the game he didn't even know the game came out

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
aba1 said:
ohhhh so many

bloody roar: primal fury
Another person who knows the endless joy of a fighter that is actually fun. I had such a blast playing that game with friends, and yet the recent Soul Calibers and Tekkens bored us to tears.

Oh where is bloody roar when we need it?
freaking right I wanted to cosplay xion such a bad-ass costume design

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure Destroy All Humans! 2 should take this award because it sold poorly and Pandemic (the developers of the game) are now out of business. That game was my favourite PS2 game along with Kingdom Hearts 2 and 007 Nightfire.

MrGameluvr92

Mar 16, 2011
TheDooD said:
Gungrave and Gungrave: Overdose - such fun gameplay and the music and story were always pretty damn decent plus the games were cheap on release.
Someone besides me knows about the Gungrave series?! Yay! I still have these by the way. :)

I would have to say Okami, Shadow of the Colossus (don't know how it did in sales), and Batallion Wars (surprisingly good game).

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
It didn't tank per se, but Mirror's didn't do all that well, and I love that game.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
TheTim said:
Destroy all Humans! 1
YES! Another fan of this awesome game *props* (or if you prefer *brohoof*). Its such a shame that there was that horrible knockoff on the Wii and a satisfactory 3rd installment on the 360 and PS3.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Orwellian37 said:
Psychonauts. Apparently most people don't want platformers taking place in deranged dream fantasy land.
this is the only correct answer, because it was such a good game and it failed so badly

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
Heavenly Sword definately.

Not that I mind since that allowed me to get it for 5 bucks but still. I loved that game.

UmJammerSully

May 29, 2011
Okami. Sold poorly but was reviewed incredibly highly. Then they got another chance with the Wii port and...It sold poorly again! YOU GUYS SUCK (unless you did buy it of course).

It's a miracle we even got Okamiden.

Honourable mentions:
Psychonauts
Valkyria Chronicles

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Dalisclock said:
lovest harding said:
Psychonauts. I still have no idea why this game never sold. Seriously.

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. It sold well enough ('satisfactory' according to FunCom), but still deserved more attention then it got.
Agree on Pyshonauts. The game was just too good, so naturally it would be left out in the cold. For some reason, the world seems to work like that.

Dreamfall, I hate to say, but it kind of deserved it's poor sales. I loved TLJ and replay it every year or so, but dreamfall made so many mistakes, the least of which was ending on about 5 different cliffhangers with the intention of "The sequel will explain it". How about trying to resolve some of them in the game I bought? It's not like you didn't have room either, because half of the chapters are: Character starts, character runs through area, Character talks to one person, chapter ends. And in the rebel village, we get to run through it twice, because it was so interesting the first time we did it.

I want to see how the story ends, but it really feels like the whole point of dreamfall was to make us buy TLJ, which will come out around the same time as HL: episode 3(or maybe the week after).
And I completely disagree. I've never played The Longest Journey (and even if I had I'm not one for comparing sequel to original especially considering from what I understand the two games are more just in the same world than telling a continuous story).
Anyway, I thought it was a beautifully told stand alone story (Zoe's story, I mean, the other characters felt very throwaway). And I like that not everything was answered (just because Zoe didn't have all the answers of what happened without her). Her story by itself was outstandingly beautiful. And that end scene where
Helena Chang puts Zoe in a coma and the conversation between Helena and Wonkers that follows was one of the most touching moments I've experienced in gaming.

I do agree that the other stories were kind of shit (as I don't really remember anything about them other than that I didn't care). xD

I just think there's a lot of people who's whole opinion (not to imply yours is, just from what I've seen of TLJ fans) who dislike mainly because Zoe isn't April. >>
I will note I didn't mention gameplay because it's mediocre at best. But as its story was so engaging, I can easily forgive that downfall but I know that a lot of people can't.

ToAsTy McBuTTeR said:
lovest harding said:
Lost Odyssey. Great JRPG and the best story I've played this console generation.
why are people not mentioning this more than once? where are all those people who played FFXII and XIII? because they need to be forced to play Lost Odyssey so they know what JRPGs are supposed to be... i also believe they need to be punched but hell lets not get VIOLENT...

it wouldnt upset me so much if it had done WELL... Mistwalker is an AMAZING team and they made a FUCKING AMAZING rpg here.

it's story runs circles around everything in it's class since 2000, and i include western rpgs here too...

and NO ONE mentions it... cept maybe me and this guy...

blah blah disclaimer about opinions and how i'm not actually going to hit you for yours...
I wouldn't go as far to put that way, but I do agree completely. As I said, it's the best story in a game I've played this generation. Some of the most serious moments (especially anything to do with Kaim's family, that whole situation was just tragically touching) in gaming played completely realistically. The characters (while easily seen as stereotypes that are known in JRPGs) are a LOT deeper than they appear at first (I mean once you meet Seth's son you see behind her 'I'm a tough woman in sexy clothing' vibe).
Definitely a game that deserves SO much more.

Revolution -X-

Aug 27, 2010
Grim Fandango. The only game I've played that comes close to it is Hotel Dusk: Room 215. Adventure games are a thing of the past, even with Grim's stellar reviews. A remake is neccesary for Steam/XBLA, I think it'd have a good going over now.

A Werewolf

Jun 27, 2011
Thanks guys, this thread has given me a great list of games to try.

My usual library of games has been getting a bit stale. >.>

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Aura Guardian said:
Tatsunoko vs Capcom.
Custom Robo.
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise.
Murakumo.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade.
I took the opportunity to bold the best game on the 360.