Favorite/Good Songs Introduced by a TV Show

ManaAdvent

Apr 16, 2010
Ever been introduced to one your favorite/good songs (done by a real-life band) through a TV Show/Cartoon?

The most recent one I can think of is from Adventure Time that introduced me to No Wonder I by Lake (FYI: the singer did the ending theme to AT as well):

Full version:

Adventure Time happens to be one of my favorite cartoons for many reasons and promoting Indie music than Pop-related songs happens to be another that has been added to the list of reasons.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Adventure-Time

Daft Time

Apr 15, 2013
Huh, never. I've heard a lot of excellent music in television shows, but I can't remember being introduced to new music that way. Odd. Anyway, here is my contribution to good music on television, even if it's not where I heard it from, that you may not have heard before:

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Oh, girl, hands down Rizzoli and Isles and their kickin' instrumental of I'm Shipping Up to Boston by the Dropkick Murphys:

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Does Alan Wake count? Because then I have to feature like half the songs the featured in it. Plus Psych "I Know, You Know".

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I already knew this song before I heard it on this series but a few friends hadn't, so I'm speaking for them on this one :D

purf

Nov 29, 2010
Yes. Rather recently and very much so:

Jamie N. Commons - Lead Me Home as seen in TWD:

Fink - Warm Shadow as seen in TWD:

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I'm going with Like a Friend by Pulp from the Venture Brother's Season 4 finale. Every time I hear it it gets stuck in my head for days.
(don't watch if you don't want minor spoilers I guess)

Full Version:

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
The excellent theme tune to a Swedish/Danish series called The Bridge:

If we could mention films I could say how Miami Vice got me into Mogwai, which is lucky, because that's the film's only good feature.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
imahobbit4062 said:
Guffe said:
I already knew this song before I heard it on this series but a few friends hadn't, so I'm speaking for them on this one :D
Perfect.

OT: I could do a 20 page thread on songs from Supernatural and Sons Of Anarchy alone.
Yeah Supernatural even have songs dedicated to certain episodes
I just decided to go woth what could be called the Theme song of the series :)
One that particulary springs to mind is the demon that gets life/energy from depending on how many people actually believs it excists and what it looks like. In that episode what got the culprit, was the BlueÖysterCult logo a person had sprayed on the walls in the house where the demon lived.

And that episode of course started and ended with "Don't Fear the Reaper" :D

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Fever Ray's If I Had a Heart is a pretty sweet intro song to Vikings. Never heard of the artist until watching the show, I have been pleasantly surprised.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
I've been rewatching The Inbetweeners, and I never noticed how good the soundtrack is until now :D full of loads of really energetic, fun music :D They play loads of The Fratellis, who were already pretty much my favorite band ever

But thanks to that show, I've found this <3

ManaAdvent

Apr 16, 2010
Tartarga said:
I'm going with Like a Friend by Pulp from the Venture Brother's Season 4 finale. Every time I hear it it gets stuck in my head for days.
(don't watch if you don't want minor spoilers I guess)
Speaking of Venture Bros. it leads to my other choice which is Aquagen ft. Rozalla's Everybody's Free remix:

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
The Amazing Broken Man - Near Town and New Year Son
Animal Hospital - A Safe Place and Memory
Ashley Chambliss - A Little More Of You
Asobi Seksu - Lions And Tigers and Nefi + Girly
Au Pairs - It's Obvious
Band Of Skulls - Honest
Bon Iver - Woods
Bonnie Prince Billy - Ebb Tide
Born Ruffians - Little Garcons
Broken Records - A Promise
Caribou - Thistles And Felt
Crystal Fighters - Xtatic Truth (Last Japan Remix)
David Holmes - Love Reign Over Me
Dawn Landes - All Dressed In White
Deerhunter - Twilight At Carbon Lake
Dial F For Frankenstein - Wes Vega
Dinosaur Jr - Said The People
Dirty Epics - We're Coming Up
Diskettes - Art
Dodos - Walking
Drums - Let's Go Surfing
Early Years - A Little More
Elbow - Mirrorball
Electrelane - After The Call
Elvis Perkins In Dearland - Send My Fond Regards To Lonelyville
The Ettes - Red In Tooth And Claw and Take It With You
Fat Segal - Diver Revive, Lake Control, Whitecap Widow, Relentless, Stereo Panic, Century, Ethering Bridges, One Word, Moonchild, Explorer, Last Of My Kind, Zero, Boundless and Oderson
Felice Brothers - Frankie's Gun! and Her Eyes Dance Around
Francois And The Atlas Mountain - So Many No's
Giselle - They Stay Down Deep and Small People
Glasvegas - It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry
Glen Campbell - All I Want Is You
Gloria Cycles - Bag
Grizzly Bear - Foreground
Grouper - Heavy Water / I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Harlem Shakes - Technicolour Heealth
Health - Die Slow
High Places - Jump In
Hope Sandoval - Charlotte
Ida Maria - Keep Me Warm
Ivan Campo - The Great Procrastinator
Jonsi & Alex - Stokkseyri
Lacrosse - You Can't Say No Forever
Lady Gaga - Brown Eyes
Laura Marling - Is A Hope
Lightning Dust - I Knew
Le Loup - Breathing Rapture
Le Volume Courbe - Freight Train
Lisa Backwell - Don't Be Down
Little Boots - Meddle
Low - Breaker
The Low Anthem - Charlie Darwin
Manchester Orchestra - The Only One
Maps - When You Leave
Max Richter - Organum
Millionaires - A-L-C-O-H-O-L
Mumford And Sons - The Cave
Nice Nice - Set And Setting
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Into My Arms
Panda Su - Eric Is Dead
Port O'Brien - Tree Bones and Leap Year
Robert Wyatt - Just As You Are
Simon Says No - Shiver
Son Lux - Break
Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life and Hey Joe
Steely Dan - Do It Again
Stina Nordenstam - Fireworks
Susanna And The Magic Orchestra - Believer
Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition
Tilly And The Wall - I Always Knew
Tujiko Noriko - White Film
The Ukelele Orchestra Of Great Britain - True
UNKLE - Heavy Drug (Surrender Sounds Remix)
Wilco - Radio Cure

Every single one of those songs is in my music collection entirely because of Skins - the shows' music supervisors, Alex Hancock and Kyle Lynd, are a pair of geniuses. (Pick one, gun to head... I'd be dead right now if it wasn't for Jump In by High Places.)

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I already knew about them but Sons of Anarchy had a Toxic Holocaust song on one of their episodes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
When it comes to Anime and Gaming, (and I'm cheating with this one) it has to be Redemption by Gackt which was featured in the sub-par Final Fantasy VII spin off Dirge of Cerberus

Also by Gackt, Luna which was the opening for the Fist of the North Star OVA back in 2003

I was already a fan of Gackt because of Malice Mizer...well...no that's kind of a lie. I'm a Gackt admirer now but back then I resented Gackt for overshadowing Tetsu who was my favorite vocalist from Malice Mizer but I later realized that Tetsu would have kept Malice Mizer from gaining mainstream appeal and ultimately becoming famous. Also I like Klaha almost as much if not more than Tetsu as a MM Vocalist.

Maximum the Hormone did the opening for Death+Note, didn't they? I feel like they did an opening for some anime or other and while I'm not really into them anymore I did get into them after listening to an opening they did...My favorite songs by them are G-Men Spy and, Frieza.