Favorite lets play? Tell us about who you love to watch or what makes somthing fun to follow.

slysean

Jul 16, 2012
As a frequent viewer of Zero Punctuation, I and I believe may of you know Yathzee enjoys lets play videos and I'm sure many of you do too. So I'm curious, whose your favorite?

Either take the time to talk about an underappreciated channel or discuss what makes a good lets play. Is it silence or commentary? straight laced and direct or funny and messes around?

My personal favorite is Rage Select, a laugh riot to watch and kind of quirky, with a ton of videos and experience making lets plays (about three years) under their belt.

So that's mine, what's yours?

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
mine would be spoiler warning, one player and usually three others to help fill the voids and make fun of the player. they have quite a few games that they've gone through. Also one of the main purposes of their lets plays is to go through a game in an abnormal way, just to see what happens

ive also seen and enjoyed rage select

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
I don't watch lets plays alot, but from those few ones it's gotta be X's Adventures in Minecraft, one of the reasons i got around getting MC in the first place.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I prefer Cryaotic. I find him to be quite funny and the humour feels very natural, not at all forced like a lot of the more popular Let's Players I've come across. The only downside is his fangirls who are creepy in a way that defies explanation and rational thought.

The reasons I have a preference for Cryaotic are the same reason I have a preference for my second favourite, CinnamonToastKen. He does ham it up at times but it's pretty humorous.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Supagogoman. He's good but not THAT good (i.e. does a lot of blind Let's Plays and more often than not goes in unprepared), he has a sense of humor about himself, even if he gets Game Overs now and then he doesn't make stupid decisions and plays for fun & keeps. Doesn't edit long stretches, leaves in inventory managing (which I fucking LOVE) and has a British accent which is always a plus.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I used to go through some Lets Plays. The first one was with Egoraptor and Jon-Tron in a series called Game Grumps, and they just had their moments over acting and funny shit. They're good at talking in general but I heard they both left now.

The other was The Great Clement (ClementJ642) who mostly does classic Sonic and Mega Man games, and since I missed most of that series and I liked how he explained things (like side information on the games), I really enjoyed going through his work. And I love his 3 hour rant on Sonic 06, he just went all out.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Phew one favourite Let's Player? That's a tough question.
I am currently watching a lot of arumba, someone that plays a lot of grand strategy games and the person with the best crusader kings 2 knowledge i know. Then there's of course shenryr, a really good Europa universalis player. Quill18 is also good. Then there's northernlion, direwolf20 and gronkh, the biggest german let's player, which are all really good too.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I'd say me but I'm really rather terrible.

I don't watch much LPs, but when I do it's usually Christopher Odd. Although I'm currently watching a LP of The Last Of Us - seeing as I'll probably never get to play it myself; bloody exclusives... - by a fellah called Hassan Al Hajry. There is NO commentary, he uses subtitles and he tries to make sure to get most of the ambient conversations. Only complaint is that he doesn't scroll down when reading in-game documents. The first guy I found would talk loudly over the in-game conversations unless it was a cut scene, had NO subtitles - which, if you're going to talk over the convos, you should bloody well use if the option is there - and ran past most of the interesting bits, so I consider Hassan a huge step up, lol.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Liamsixx would be my favourite, at least when he does anything blind like Star Fox or Mega Man. Also Lecoffeebandit and Odinspack.

Nazulu said:
I used to go through some Lets Plays. The first one was with Egoraptor and Jon-Tron in a series called Game Grumps, and they just had their moments over acting and funny shit. They're good at talking in general but I heard they both left now.
Nope, just Jon. They replaced him with someone else equally talkative, and I'd say the quality is about the same. Dunno if it counts a Let's Play since they almost never actually talk about the game, but it is funny:

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
WhiteFangofWar said:
Liamsixx would be my favourite, at least when he does anything blind like Star Fox or Mega Man. Also Lecoffeebandit and Odinspack.

Nazulu said:
Nope, just Jon. They replaced him with someone else equally talkative, and I'd say the quality is about the same. Dunno if it counts a Let's Play since they almost never actually talk about the game, but it is funny:

Oh Wow. I didn't know people made animations of them. Good choice too. Might just go look up some more, like all.

Thanks for letting me know

Antendo

Feb 8, 2010
EDIT: Damn you WhiteFangofWar, ninjad my reply regarding game grumps.

Anyway, Game Grumps is what I watch, and the shows associated with that (Steam Train, Steamrolled and Table Flip). What makes them funny is the jokes and what they talk about during the videos.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I'm still a fan of the Freelance Astronauts (got my start on their attempted marathon session of Ocarina of Time: Master Quest...racing against the Lord of the Rings movies). Mainly because I like an LP style that closely replicates sitting around laughing with a group of friends. Going through their Oblivion videos right now, to get to know their recurring character and some of the running jokes.

Text-wise, a big fan of Chocorojo and his Pokemon LPs, especially Platinum.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Unit Lost. 100% Pure win 100% British. A great duo to watch and have wonderful chemistry together. Not very well known but have a good following. They've done some really good Civ V lets plays, and are currently doing an XCOM and Papers Please lets plays.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
slysean said:
As a frequent viewer of Zero Punctuation, I and I believe may of you know Yathzee enjoys lets play videos and I'm sure many of you do too. So I'm curious, whose your favorite?
Thats probably because he isn't very good at games :p

I like to watch my friends play games, not some nobody online. I can interact with the action in ways that passively watching an interactive medium will not allow over the internet. But frankly it would take an absolute master of a game to draw my attention enough to watch them and after 5 minutes i would consider it worth the challenge to play the game myself and beat them.

I really don't understand what people take away from the majority of LPs. If it's a really complicated game that requires lots of understanding to play...say maybe Masters of Orion or some other turn based space strategy game or something like ADOM or Dwarf fortress then fair enough. But when it's some piss easy corridor shooter like Bioshock or Half-life it just makes my head hurt.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I don't like watching, but I love reading humorous screenshot LPs, like The Terrible Secret Of Animal Crossing and Princess Maker 2 on LPArchive.

Right E O

Mar 19, 2010
Im still a fan of Video Games Awesome.

Some of the most happy go lucky letsplayers out there, some of their old stuff is legendarily good. For anyone looking for a good place to start, their letsplay of Heavy Rain is tremendous and the production quality is higher than any other lets play I've ever seen.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
my list:

Alchestbreach - About a group of misfits going on adventures in Skyrim/Mojave/Sims. No, you don't watch his videos for reviews / insights / information, you watch him for his characters and for the sitcom.

Gophersvids - Does reviews on Bethesda games' mods. Also does a playthrough. Less interesting characters than ACB, but more concise.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
"Video Games Awesome" would be my choice.
I've never come across anyone who utilizes a greenscreen for LPs better than those guys.