Favorite type of aircraft

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
The SR-71 (for awesome) or F-22 (for looks).

But I like most anything that flies (and isn't a bug...)

Back in 2001 a friend and I accidentally came upon a test bombing run for some generals birthday in the Nevada desert. Pretty much anything in the US armoury capable of doing air-to-ground attacks was there and bombing the crap out of a bit of nothing (F-15, F-18, F-117, B-52, A-10, AH-64, and a few more I don't recall), it was awesome :D

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
When coming up with my favourites I've found I have an obsession with bombers.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
My personal favorite is the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.
In my opinion nothing comes close to the look of the thing - it looks like it's doing Mach 2 just sitting on the tarmac. Originally built in 1953, it would take over twenty years and the introduction of the F-15 before any other fighter could beat it's outright performance (speed, altitude, rate of climb, etc). It can still fly higher and climb faster than many modern fighter jets. It was unforgiving of mistakes though and if you didn't treat it with the respect it deserved it'd kill you, which is why it gained a bad reputation in many Air Forces - in Germany especially. The Germans called it the "Widowmaker" and "Flying Coffin" (happens when you use an interceptor as a low level strike aircraft). But in America it was called the "Missile with a man in it" and the "Zipper", while in Japan it was called "Eiko" (Glory).

robot slipper

Dec 29, 2010
I've always loved the Harrier (as you might be able to tell...), it's just so cheeky. Oh there's no runway? That's fine by me, up up and awaaaaaaay!!!! I've seen it a few times at airshows, it's fantastic to watch. One trick the pilots like to do is fly by, then put on the brakes mid-air and come to a stand-still, swivel around and "bow" to the crowd. It seems far to futuristic for something that was developed in the 60's.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Ah... A great question (to an RAF Officer! :p)

My favourite aircraft in our inventory is the MQ-9 REAPER. Not only does it look fucking cool, it's technical spec is ace, and it can do some fucking cool stuff!

FACT...

But that is all I am going to say on the matter! :p

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Since I'm not really familliar with the specs on any aircraft, nor have I ever flown anything...
I'm gonna go with airships in general.
Especially ridgid airships.
Those things just look so cool.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I always liked the Firefox (from the Clint Eastwood movie). But if you're a stickler for real life planes; The SR-71.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Proeliator said:
I didn't see any Chinooks in that clip. A lot of Bell UH-1 Iroquois(es), but no Chinooks.
I was informed that the sound effects for the helicopter sound effects actually came from a Chinook, my bad. Looking at IMDB seems to show that some of the sounds were synthesised anyway so apparently that was complete bs.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Pohaturon said:
Title says it all, really.

I'm gonna go with VTOLs. Damn sexy aircraft.

Your turn escapists!
On the subject of VTOL, I loved the Harrier, but then Davis Cameron got rid for no really good reason.

I love the Spitfire, a true british icon, also it looks absolutley gorgeous.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Wadders said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Wadders said:
As a proud Brit, there is only one proper answer to this.

And Apaches. Because fuck you Taliban.
Hold on, why does that second Spitfire not have the elliptical wings? It looks like a Hawker Hurricane's wings strapped onto a Spitfire fuselage.
Good question! Didn't notice it in all honesty, I just chose a cool looking picture and trusted Google image search to get it right.

I'm afraid I'm not massively clued up on them, but there were several variants so perhaps it has something to do with that? The website hosting the image isn't giving anything away. According to the ever reliable (lol) Wikipedia, later models did have alterations to the wing? I don't really know - I'm sure you're far more clued up than myself anyway.

EDIT: yeah, here we go, according to Wiki, "the shape of the ellipse was altered by the extended "pointed" wing tips used by the high-altitude Mk VI and VIIs, and some early Mk VIIIs."
Just searched the ID on this particular aircraft. Turns out it's a late model, Mk XVIe. The one in your shot crashed in 1998, killing the pilot, Thomas Jackson.

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-rw382.html

Esotera said:
Proeliator said:
I didn't see any Chinooks in that clip. A lot of Bell UH-1 Iroquois(es), but no Chinooks.
I was informed that the sound effects for the helicopter sound effects actually came from a Chinook, my bad. Looking at IMDB seems to show that some of the sounds were synthesised anyway so apparently that was complete bs.
I'd say BS! The chinook has a very distinctive sound, due to the twin rotors. Although the Huey is a gorgeous sounding aircraft, so they really shouldn't need to steal sounds from somewhere else.

As for me, I love the Spitfire, particularly the more famous models, such as 'Spirit of Kent'. Yes, I have favourite individual aircraft of a certain type!

Anyone in the UK that likes the Spit' NEEDS to visit one of the Duxford airshows. Last year at Flying Legends, there were nine in the air at once, tail-chasing :))

Sure I love the modern fighters for their terrifying ferocity, and the cold-war era aircraft such as the Vulcan because, well, some of them are just awesome. But the older warbirds are just fantastic. I got some lovely shots last summer...

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
The Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
This thing is a bloody monster, and it lives up to its namesake by being a fantastic ground attack aircraft. It's entire frame is built around one of the largest Gatling guns in existence, the GAU8 Avenger, a 30mm anti tank round rotary gun that shreds armored vehicles in seconds.

It can also take an absolute pounding, practically losing half it's wings and still being able to fly.

Thank you Soviet Heavy, you typed my post for me, have a cookie for your apparent ability to read minds

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
uzo said:
One of these badboys, the B-25. I believe there was a variant that had a solid nose and packed something like TWELVE (that's as many months in the year!) .50 calibre machine guns. Imagine the mess that'd make of damned near anything in 1944.
Y'mean...

Just as bad, I'm sure one variant (can't find a pic) had four in the nose-cone, four fixed below the cockpit, two on either side of the fuselage, two in the dorsal turret and two in the rear turret, totalling fourteen .50cals. This aircraft was supposed to be a medium bomber, think it would serve better as a ground support attack aircraft with that much lead belching out of it... *shrug*

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
Wadders said:
Well, there is a very good reason for those cut wings: it was produced for D-Day. The wings tips were cut down so that they could fly only feet off the ground and still be able to turn without shredding their wings.

OT: I actually agree with the Spitfire. Probably one of the greatest planes of all time, and in WWII it was only matched by this:

In the category bombers, the B-52 is a ver close second
Coming in just behind another WWII veteran:
The mighty B-17 Flying Fortress. This is the king of the skies. Flights have been reported to come back to England anfter having been attacked during bombing raids over Germany, and some had lost two engines, the hull torn in half or missing up to a quarter of its wingsurface. Nothing can kill these beasts.

Helicopter-wise, there can only be one winner:
The AH-64 Apache helicopter gunship. According to Jeremy Clarkson: ''It's not the fastest helicopter in the world, and it isn't the most maneuverable. But it is the ugliest and it does pack the deadliest punch.''

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Henkie36 said:
OT: I actually agree with the Spitfire. Probably one of the greatest planes of all time, and in WWII it was only matched by this:
Good call :)

The P-51D is probably the finest Anglo-US machine ever created. Requested by the Brits, built by the Americans and powered by the Rolls Royce Merlin (built under license by Packard). It really is a beauty.

I'm still upset at the loss of Big Beautiful Doll in 2011. May she rust in peace :(

At least we still have Ferocious Frankie and Miss Velma.

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
Esotera said:
Proeliator said:
Yeah, I heard a few Huey sounds, but the Chinook has a distinct double *whap* sound, that I didn't seem to hear.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Ohhhh..

This one [http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080705072526/finalfantasy/images/e/ef/Enterprise_DS_Opening.jpg]...
These are good too [http://satoshimatrix.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/screenshot_psp_final_fantasy_iv_the_complete_collection006.jpg]...
Maybe even this one [http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080517094826/finalfantasy/images/a/a0/Highwind_5.jpg]...

Any of those three, or near those three, or around those three...
...or all three..
That would be my favorite.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
The Spitfire,
The Mosquito,
The Vulcan and
The English Electric Lightning

Oh and for civilian aircraft there is of course Concorde.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
SckizoBoy said:
uzo said:
One of these badboys, the B-25. I believe there was a variant that had a solid nose and packed something like TWELVE (that's as many months in the year!) .50 calibre machine guns. Imagine the mess that'd make of damned near anything in 1944.
Y'mean...

Just as bad, I'm sure one variant (can't find a pic) had four in the nose-cone, four fixed below the cockpit, two on either side of the fuselage, two in the dorsal turret and two in the rear turret, totalling fourteen .50cals. This aircraft was supposed to be a medium bomber, think it would serve better as a ground support attack aircraft with that much lead belching out of it... *shrug*
They also produced a version with a 25mm cannon in the nose
They used the "solid nose" B-25s as ground attack and the "clear nose" (with the bombsight) as the medium bombers. The B-25 was great for ground and anti ship attacks.

OT: The only of my favorites that haven't been posted are the WWI planes.
Behold:

Bonus points for painting it like a fish.