Favorite type of aircraft

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
SckizoBoy said:

Great aircraft, both of them, given the time that they were in service, and it's only a pity that Hispano sucked so much arse...
You, sir, have impeccable taste.

The Me-262 is my favorite WWII aircraft. It seems to emanate a shark-like predatory appearance whenever I look at it. The Meteor is a great looking airplane as well.

I also like the A-10 Warthog.
One glance and you know this plane means business. And that's before it opens up with its GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatling gun.
A f*cking plus, sir! My personal all-time favorite aircraft. The A-10 is the only aircraft that even a picture of its front end can scare me.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The kind with wings, or y'know just a big engine with a pair of handles on it... not for me just for somebody else to use, I'll be the one watching.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
I mean, that's just beautiful. You're not going to top that, unless you manage to stick some wings to a Bugatti Veyron and drove it off a cliff.
It rings true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

When it comes to warbirds my favourite is still the most mass produced fighter: Messerschmitt Bf 109
If I had to pick a particular model it would be the G10:

When it comes to jets I would pick the Dassault Mirage 2000.

Again if I had to pick a particular model it would be the 2000-5 Mk2 though not because it looks any different but because it features a glass cockpit and is a proper multi-purpose fighter.
Photo is a C btw.

As far as stealth jets go I would choose the Suchoi T-50.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Redlin5 said:

The Wooden Wonder!

It's a damn sexy plane. Admit it.
For those of you who don't know, this thing is called the De Havilland Mosquito, an all wooden attack aircraft built by the Commonwealth airforces in World War 2. This thing had an airframe made out of laminated wood rather than metal, and was powered by two gigantic Rolls Royce Merlin engines. At the time of its construction, it was the fastest aircraft in the world. Which made it perfect for bombing.

A single Mosquito was about a quarter of the size of the B-17 Flying Fortress, weighed virtually nothing, and carried heavier bombs than any plane its size. These suckers could carry 4000 pound bombs, a full 1000 pounds more than a Flying Fortress. So you have a high speed plane that can't be intercepted, the heaviest bombs available at the time, and a cheap airframe made them incredible aircraft. Most were built in Canada, thanks to our abundance of lumber.

Everything from reconnaissance to night fighters and bombing raiders made the Mosquito incredibly versatile. Luftwaffe Commander Hermann Goring absolutely hated the planes, less out of disgust for their design, but because nothing he had available at the time could catch the buggers. These things could outrun FW-190s for gods sakes.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
KA-50 Attack.
Mi-24 Hind A
Huey Viper AH-Z
Apache LongBow AH-64D
And basically all aircraft pre-coldwar.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Redlin5 said:

The Wooden Wonder!

It's a damn sexy plane. Admit it.
For those of you who don't know, this thing is called the De Havilland Mosquito, an all wooden attack aircraft built by the Commonwealth airforces in World War 2. This thing had an airframe made out of laminated wood rather than metal, and was powered by two gigantic Rolls Royce Merlin engines. At the time of its construction, it was the fastest aircraft in the world. Which made it perfect for bombing.

A single Mosquito was about a quarter of the size of the B-17 Flying Fortress, weighed virtually nothing, and carried heavier bombs than any plane its size. These suckers could carry 4000 pound bombs, a full 1000 pounds more than a Flying Fortress. So you have a high speed plane that can't be intercepted, the heaviest bombs available at the time, and a cheap airframe made them incredible aircraft. Most were built in Canada, thanks to our abundance of lumber.

Everything from reconnaissance to night fighters and bombing raiders made the Mosquito incredibly versatile. Luftwaffe Commander Hermann Goring absolutely hated the planes, less out of disgust for their design, but because nothing he had available at the time could catch the buggers. These things could outrun FW-190s for gods sakes.
Good god... Those things sound pretty damned amazing!

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
That's a tough one...I'm a huge fan of the A-10, an even bigger fan of the F-14, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the SR-71. Talk about flying by the seat of your pants!

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Well, my name is taken from Blackhawk Super-64, the name assigned to one of the UH-60's [http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/helicopter-m/uh60/uh60_13.jpg] used during the Somalian Peacekeeping mission. It's also been a dream of mine to fly an SH-60 [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/SH-60B_Seahawk.jpg/300px-SH-60B_Seahawk.jpg] for the U.S. Navy. I'll let you guys guess.

If you're talking Fixed wing aircraft, then it's a tie between the
and the

wulf3n said:
The Grumman F-14 Tomcat.

Unfortunately decommissioned now, but still an awesome looking aircraft.

After seeing it in TopGun, I was all ready to join the Navy and become a Naval Aviator... sadly I'm not American.
If you really want to I'm pretty sure they would have let you in. One of the ways people can obtain legal citizenship is through military service.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I've always been a fan of the B2 Stealth Bomber. There's just something about a giant, menacing, black triangle that can't be detected by radar that really appeals to me.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Why did we stop using these?
We didn't stop using ships after the Titanic and airplanes after JAL 123.

Proeliator

Aug 22, 2012
Esotera said:
I'm going with the Chinook helicopter, which has pretty much defined the sound of helicopters in cinema ever since Apocalypse Now (and probably before, I haven't seen many films before then).

An honourable mention goes to the Harrier Jump Jet, which is absolutely awesome in that it can take off vertically.
I didn't see any Chinooks in that clip. A lot of Bell UH-1 Iroquois(es), but no Chinooks.

SckizoBoy said:

Great aircraft, both of them, given the time that they were in service, and it's only a pity that Hispano sucked so much arse...
The only issue with those aircraft being the absurdly maintenance intensive engines, and landing speeds...
Still, excellent choice sir!

I'd have to go with... (besides, the F-22 since its already been taken and apparently it suffocates you)
The F-16 (not gonna be picky and select a type)
Maybe not the fastest, nor the most maneuverable, but it is THE plane. They're Prolific, and pretty well rounded when it comes to capability.
The F-35 would have won, if it was deployed. Then there is the Chinook, it's pretty capa- no, I should stop, otherwise I'll name all the aircraft.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Gotta admit, I'm a sucker for UCAVs (drone planes actually designed to be flown in combat missions). First of all, let me just say that I very much disapprove of a large portion of the current drone-strike program the US uses. But I do actually quite like the potential for UCAVs to get some of our pilots out of direct harm, and provide an (eventually... hopefully) cheaper, more expendable war plane than the ones we currently use. We'll need a better kind of communications system to make it viable though. There is a small, but noticeable lag for Predator pilots already. It doesn't really matter when you're lobbing missiles at unaware, unarmed and/or defenseless people, but that much input lag would severely impair a drone's performance in an actual front-line combat mission.

Seriously though, how cool does that thing look? Behold your future obsolescence, all other military aircraft currently in use.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Most planes I would have mentioned are already up there, so I'm going to go with the Avro Lancaster.

Not the prettiest, fastest or strongest, but it could carry these monsters...

In case you're wondering, that thing is ten tonnes of ground penetrating, high explosive ordnance that was designed to create earthquakes.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Personally, I think that American fighters and 4.5/5th generation fighters in general look pretty awesome. The sleek look of the F-22 & F-35 almost make me forget what a giant cash sinkhole they are.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011

One of these badboys, the B-25. I believe there was a variant that had a solid nose and packed something like TWELVE (that's as many months in the year!) .50 calibre machine guns. Imagine the mess that'd make of damned near anything in 1944.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
Esotera said:
[spoiler"snip"]I'm going with the Chinook helicopter, which has pretty much defined the sound of helicopters in cinema ever since Apocalypse Now (and probably before, I haven't seen many films before then).

An honourable mention goes to the Harrier Jump Jet, which is absolutely awesome in that it can take off vertically.[/spoiler]
that is not a chinook

that is a UH1H iroquois aka (stupid name) huey

anyway i like pretty much any or the most modern of fighters they looks so hot and so fast but so pointless :( and the

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
The Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II
This thing is a bloody monster, and it lives up to its namesake by being a fantastic ground attack aircraft. It's entire frame is built around one of the largest Gatling guns in existence, the GAU8 Avenger, a 30mm anti tank round rotary gun that shreds armored vehicles in seconds.

It can also take an absolute pounding, practically losing half it's wings and still being able to fly.
THIS absoluteley the air tank ... BEST Heawey fighter ever made by man...