Favorite Video-Game Villain and why.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
I dunno how many times this has been done, but I'm still curious.

My favorite Game-Villain is super-stereotypical: Sephiroth. Hands Down.

My reasons are as follows:

1) He's a left-handed swordsman, which is very rare (In Real Life). Link, from Legend of Zelda is Historically left-handed as well, which is cool.
2) He uses a definitive style of swordsmanship, as opposed to stylized random flailing. In the movie, you can actually see him correct his grip several times.
3) He uses a NODACHI for crying out loud! and he uses it COMPETENTLY!
4) He's an insanely powerful telekinetic, as evidenced several times in the movie, when he literally PULLS the clouds to him, and then proceeds to drop a WHOLE BUILDING onto Clouds head.
5) He's just an all around Bad-ass Nemesis and, if given the opportunity, I'd slave myself to the guy in order to learn what he knows.

SO! Who are your favorite Video-Game Villains, and why? Also, "HE/SHE/THEY/ECT... ARE AWESOME!!!" Don't count. I want to know WHY they are your favorite Villains.

zombiestrangler

Sep 3, 2009
General Knoxx. Something about a depressed, old soldier in a battle mech suit taking orders from a five-year-old seems awesome to me.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
Cyber-Demon from Doom

I still recall the first time I encountered the bloody thing - I heard this odd mechanical rhythm in the distance that got louder as I walked on. I ran towards the noise wondering what the hell it was an this huge monster with a rocket launcher for an arm greeted me as a I turned the corner - then I died and had to restart the level.

I then had to repeat this process for a long time to come.

Bastard enemy but the pinacle of the Doom Monsters.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
System Shock 2 and Shodan.

Oh, and the Stroggs from Quake 2. More of a collection of villains I suppose, but I hated them. Especially after what they did to mai marines in the human factory...

Nov 12, 2010
A good villain would have to be those blasted Babylonians!(jk.I've been played too much Empire Earth lately and one of the preset prehistoric peoples is the Babylonians)(lol,babies)
No,on a serious note,my favorite villain in games would probably be GlaDos just for the humor.I've seen some depictions of it as a human on Hatena and they just don't work.She's just too human and robot that she can't be a human.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
GladOS or SHODAN. Evil AIs are always the best villains because they can taunt/threaten you over the intercom without sounding like idiots.

Although yeah,
zombiestrangler said:
General Knoxx
was pretty awesome. Really, barring the final boss, Borderlands has some pretty hilarious/awesome villains.

I also like the Grand Master from the first Witcher game b/c of the secret identity. That's a player punch on the level few games have the stones to do.

Kakujin

Oct 19, 2008
Seymour of FFX fame for me, trying to save the world by killing everyone in it, because he thinks that is the best thing to do. Not just doing things because he is evil, but still managing to be extremely evil and being a deliciously hateable asshole while doing it.

It is either him or Bowser, just for his sheer determination to get his hands on the whiniest, spoiled brat of a princess ever to walk the earth, just for some lovely "cake".

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Darius Brogan said:
1) He's a left-handed swordsman, which is very rare (In Real Life). Link, from Legend of Zelda is Historically left-handed as well, which is cool.
Well in modern times fencers have a disproportionately high amount of left handed people because of the advantage being left handed gives you.

My favourite video game villain would be SHODAN from System Shock 1. I know people here tend to think 2 is better but really in 2 she's barely alive, she's much more intimidating at the height of her power. My favourite villain overall would be Magneto from X Men just because he actually has some good points and reasons for his actions.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Kefka.

He's just so much fun.

And he also has that ear orgasm of a laugh.

I love everything about him.

Sephiroth and fawful get honorable mentions.

Michael Brunson

Jun 4, 2011
This is a tough one for me. I have two favorites for different reason

Sephiroth I like for his character and storyline elements. He is pure evil, but there is rhyme and reason to his evilness. Unlike a lot of villains he doesn't just want to destroy the world for the hell of it. There is a lot of depth to his reasons.

That being said as far as a villain that I enjoyed fighting because of how challenging and fun it was I have to say it's a toss up between Mr. X from Resident Evil 2 and Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time. Mr. X because you never know when he's going to pop up from around the corner and dwindle down your supply of ammo, and he always gets back up. Ganondorf because he was truly a challenge and fun to fight.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Myrkul from Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer

He is a dead god of the dead, who takes amusement at his fate. He is kept ?alive? by the curse that afflicts you. He is a good villian because he did evil for the ?right? reasons: selfishness, rather than the desire to be just evil for no reason. He also rebukes Kaylen, which she really needed done to her.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
Darius Brogan said:
Well in modern times fencers have a disproportionately high amount of left handed people because of the advantage being left handed gives you.

My favourite video game villain would be SHODAN from System Shock 1. I know people here tend to think 2 is better but really in 2 she's barely alive, she's much more intimidating at the height of her power. My favourite villain overall would be Magneto from X Men just because he actually has some good points and reasons for his actions.
Yeah, but I don't view fencing as real swordsmanship. It's all about tormenting your opponent with light, insulting slashes and stabs, as well as deception and distraction. That isn't to say it's a bad art, but it's not real swordsmanship. A good swordsman ends a fight in as few slashes as possible... Unless you're Sephiroth, then you toy with him because you're evil :)

Also, I've never even played System Shock, and Shodan's on my list of Top Cool Villains, just from what my buddy's told me.

azukar

Sep 7, 2009
From a player perspective, GLADoS was the most entertaining (in the first Portal anyway; can't comment on the second one).

Kefka tops Sephiroth for wild audacity, but Sephiroth takes the cake for sheer cool. Of the two I don't know which one I'd pick.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Darius Brogan said:
Yeah, but I don't view fencing as real swordsmanship. It's all about tormenting your opponent with light, insulting slashes and stabs, as well as deception and distraction. That isn't to say it's a bad art, but it's not real swordsmanship. A good swordsman ends a fight in as few slashes as possible... Unless you're Sephiroth, then you toy with him because you're evil :)
Well yeah but you have classical fencers who try to keep it true to real swordsmanship, besides fencing is really the closest thing there is nowadays.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Sephiroth, all the things the OP said and also he has an absolutely bad-ass operatic theme song which sings his name, that trumps everything anyone else has

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
Darius Brogan said:
Well yeah but you have classical fencers who try to keep it true to real swordsmanship, besides fencing is really the closest thing there is nowadays.
Unless you count Ken-do, the Japanese art of the sword, which I do, though it's all about points these days.
Whatever happened to the good 'ol days of 'You have three minutes to beat that guys head in, no permanent damage, no kicking him in the balls, other than that, go for it'
If I join a martial art, and get punched in the chest during a spar, I'm not gonna stop, re-take my stance, and bow again because regulations say to do so, I'm gonna take the opening that going for my chest left, and clock him one in the chin with a rising palm strike.

But hey! That's not what this thread is about. It's about Villains... who, being evil, would wait for you to turn around and then kick you in the nuts... because that's what they do, and that's why we love them. Especially Sephiroth.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Darius Brogan said:
Unless you count Ken-do, the Japanese art of the sword, which I do, though it's all about points these days.
I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to really comment on it.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
Sapient Pearwood said:
Darius Brogan said:
I'm afraid I don't know enough about it to really comment on it.
Ah, don't worry about it.
I like focusing on just about everything, which is where I know about Ken-Do, though I would have preferred it not be modernized from Ken-Jutsu. Meh, times change, I guess.

Wheeleybird

Mar 31, 2011
sephiroth had hands? i thought they were just large blobs of flesh attached to his arms.... which is the norm for FFVII