Favorite Video-Game Villain and why.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
I'll toss in another vote for Sephiroth. He's such a great character. Playing through FF7 I felt like he was getting in my head, not just Cloud's throughout the game.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Big Boss and Kessler.

Both guys who don't see themselves doing wrong and that by doing what they did they believed that they were making the world a better place. And in other times they were the good guys(or at least not the bad guys).

I find both characters to be sympathetic and tragic.

Edit: Revolver Ocelot is up there as well(it could be argued that he is a hero though).

ZRendZ

Jun 9, 2011
Would Jack Thomson count? he's a villain against video games
however when it comes to a villain within a video game, ehhh... I'm probably going to say Sigma, as I'm a huge Megaman X fanboy, but allow me to give my reasoning
1) He previously destroyed a whole city and completely fucked life on earth
2) He looks pretty freaky
3) He has some kick-ass music
4) He in general is quite freaky and makes you think about life, what if such a virus existed and it caused people to go nuts and want to destroy shit, what would you do?

darth jacen

Sith Reviewer
Jul 15, 2009
For me it has to be Glados and Malak of Portal and KotOR

Glados
1) Witty and funny.
2) Endless stream of interesting quips and murderous intent that is always interesting.
3) The Deadly Neurotoxin told me to say her.

Malak
1) Interesting story of betrayal and sacrifice.
2) Great end boss.
3) Most satisfying kill in video games to date.
4) Very cleaver guy.

ceyriot

Jul 21, 2008
Sephiroth is a badass, of course. I more enjoy the comedic villains, because in my opinion a villain that is just evil is easy to design.

So I'm going to cast my first vote for Glados, because I had so much fun playing that game. The never-ending stream of just pure awesome voice...not to mention the turrets.

I also really enjoy Grunts, even though I think they're not really a villain...more of a minion...

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Gaiseric said:
Big Boss and Kessler.

Both guys who don't see themselves doing wrong and that by doing what they did they believed that they were making the world a better place. And in other times they were the good guys(or at least not the bad guys).

Edit: Revolver Ocelot is up there as well(it could be argued that he is a hero though).
Big Boss was trying to make the world a better place. He was a good guy. That doesn't make Solid Snake bad guy though, it makes him a fool.

I'd say my favorite villain is Dagoth Ur from Morrowind. Why? Well, he's not a typical villain. You don't actually know much about him. You hear stories and you never see him until the end of the main quest. Yet the story behind him and Nerevar is incredible. And he's almost a god.

And of course, Andrew Ryan and Frank Fountain.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
ImprovizoR said:
Gaiseric said:
Big Boss and Kessler.

Big Boss was trying to make the world a better place. He was a good guy. That doesn't make Solid Snake bad guy though, it makes him a fool.

I'd say my favorite villain is Dagoth Ur from Morrowind. Why? Well, he's not a typical villain. You don't actually know much about him. You hear stories and you never see him until the end of the main quest. Yet the story behind him and Nerevar is incredible. And he's almost a god.

And of course, Andrew Ryan and Frank Fountain.
Tried to make the world a better place by causing wars. At best he is an anti hero. And if Snake is a fool then so is Big Boss.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
Michizane from the first Otogi. He was right people cannot have immortality because with eternal life comes stagnation and another sort of death anyway, but you know becoming a god and forcing your point of view on everyone is a big nono....plus you need (from what ive been told) the moondrop sword to do him in and that in of itself is a quest...

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Mass Effect series. Harbinger, the leader of the reapers. Can't get better than a giant robot that destroys entire galaxys.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Kessler from inFAMOUS because...well...anyone who played inFamous would know why.

Also, my altime favorite villian is SHODAN from System Shock 2. Deus Ex Machina at it's best <3

Allan53

Dec 13, 2007
the spud said:
Kefka.

He's just so much fun.

And he also has that ear orgasm of a laugh.

I love everything about him.

Sephiroth and fawful get honorable mentions.
Yep, Kefka is definitely the winner in my books. He's a nice break from deep, thoughtful characters, with tragic backstories. He's 1. insane 2. evil and 3. powerful enough to get away with 1 and 2.

The conversation with him just before the final fight is brilliant, and always crosses my mind before any final fight in any game I've played since.

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
dagoth ur from Morrowind comes to mind, the fact that he is not a "kill everything because I can" god like in oblivion makes him a better villian than Dagon,

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Hazama from BlazBlue. He is essentially an internet troll in physical form. Pure "for teh lulz" goodness.

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
Kefka, hands down. Not only is he slap-ass crazy, he's evil enough to make the devil blink twice, and the best thing about him? Roll the laugh track boys... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZoe-r9qb0

And come on, let's be honest. Most villains will go around HERP-DERP IMMA BLOWUP YOUR WORLD AND YOUR FAMILY.
Kefka just says fuck it, makes the heroes do ALL the work, then decides to blow up the world. No bullshit, no pandering, no I WILL KILL YOU ALL speech. Light of judgement, the party is scattered to the four winds, and the guy has essentially won, achieved all his goals, and has built a massive tower for the sole purpose of blowing up the planet... again.

Suomimaster

Mar 19, 2008
I'm gonna say Kefka, cause:

1)FF VI was the first FF I played and I grew to like Kefka.
2)He reminds me of Joker from Batman. Insane clown with powers of the gods.
3)He is Evil, Insane and rotten to the core, he doesn't have a single redeeming quality.
4)He doesn't have so serious attitude and is different from other FF villains. Especially in Dissidia his attitude is great.
5)Like every other FF villain he got some awesome music.

"Why create, when it will only be destroyed? Why cling to life, knowing that you have to die?"
"DESTROY! DESTROY! DESTROY! LET'S DESTROY EVERYTHING!" -Kefka from Dissidia 012

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
Michael Brunson said:
Sephiroth I like for his character and storyline elements. He is pure evil, but there is rhyme and reason to his evilness. Unlike a lot of villains he doesn't just want to destroy the world for the hell of it. There is a lot of depth to his reasons.
This is the real reason Sephiroth is such a brilliant villain. It becomes even clearer after playing through Crisis Core. The amount of investment in his personality and ideals and how they slowly changed from the man he was into the monster he became is beyond any I've ever seen.
I hated his character design, though. I immediately thought I'd hate him, but ended up having an actual reason to: because he's such a damned good villain.

Kefka is my tie. His insanity was chaotic, but consistent.

There's a small handful of really great final bosses, villains, etc...but those two take the cake, then fight over who gets the whole thing, because only heroes share their cake, stupid.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
kuja from ff9

1: all of his dramatic/poetic lines are pure gold!
"peace is but a shadow of death, eager to forget the strife of the past"

2: at first his motivations are "might aswell take over the world, nothing better to do..." BUT they change upon him learning of his mortality which sees him break his usual demeanor for a more fearful one and decides to destroy the world because "how can it be fair for the world to exist without me!?"

3:cool character design(show me someone else that can pull off the man thong!)and themes