Favorite WRPG of all time?

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
Six way tie between Morrowind, Witcher 2, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion and Skyrim? Yeah, I'm a bit of a Bethesda fanboy. Despite that, I'll probably have to go with New Vegas for combining the epic freeroam nature of Beth's games and the great writing of Obsidian.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zantos said:
Might and Magic 7, it's old and looks like arse, but I really love it. Other M&M games are good, but 7 is where it really hit me. First WRPG I played, cost me 50 pence, love it!
Amen, brother! Same here - first one I played (I don't consider Diablo more than hack&slash game) and I still love it. I still replay M&M7 whenever I get hit by nostalgia. Usually at least once a year I boot it up and do at least two complete playthroughs (light/dark side but I may also do something different like a party of dark magicians and a mixed dark party). Ah Emerald Isle, how I miss thee.

Other than that, definitely Bloodlines. Also, Morrowind.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Frankster said:
Wild Arms counts as a western rpg right? Ok yeh that's probably too japanese influenced.

Baldurs Gate series or Vampire the Masquerade seem solid enough choices so will go for those.
Huh your wild arms comment makes me think. It's a western rpg that plays like a japanese rpg , based on the far west ( think cowboys and indians ) can't get anymore western than that can you?

OT: not a big fan of WRPGs, but i'll vote for Dragon age : Origins

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Tough question that...

Probably Oblivion or KOTOR... Skyrim probably supplants Oblivion for me now, so maybe its better to say Skyrim or KOTOR.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I'd say oblivion, though I'm not sure if it counts as a proper RPG, so I'll go with Dragon Age: Origins. KOTOR was good too though.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
SecretNegative said:
About Dark Souls, sure it's Japanese, but the style and gameplay has more in common with a WRPG.
Agreed. Extra Credits actually did a series recently on both JRPG's and WRPG's, and I agree with them that it's fairly silly to call a game like Dark Souls a JRPG because aside from being made by a Japanese company, it's absolutely nothing like the traditionally thought of JRPG genre which developed over the last 30 years.

I'm also going to say that Dark Souls is my favourite recently. I also liked older stuff like Fallout 2 quite a bit when I finally played them, but recent WRPG's made by western companies don't usually grab me. The last one I enjoyed was Fallout 3, but it has the usual issues every Bethesda game always has that kept me from loving it to death or anything, and trying to play through it a second time was almost torture.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
krazykidd said:
Huh your wild arms comment makes me think. It's a western rpg that plays like a japanese rpg , based on the far west ( think cowboys and indians ) can't get anymore western than that can you?
Mmm maybe it's just me but I didn't get a strong wild west vibe from wild arms until the sequels.
But yeh, western rpg that plays like a jap rpg, it seemed like cheating to nominate it xP

Incidentally your avatar reminds me.... Is Legend of Legaia a western rpg? Can't remember if it is but if so I totally add it to my list, that game was awesome and had a fun combat system.

Chevalier noir

Nov 21, 2011
Fallout: New Vegas

Dragon Age Origins

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Baldurs Gate 2

Deus Ex

In no particular order.

Since the thread is about WRPGS. If it was RPGS in general, I'd put Dark Souls and the persona series above all of the ones I listed.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Well, I think my avatar pic should give you an idea *grin*

And of course, Baldur's Gate and Morrowind as well.

Kahunaburger said:
(although there's a distinction between "my favorite," "best," and even "the one I think will likely be someone else's favorite.")
You speak the truth!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Just bought the newest Deus Ex plus some DLC for $10 total from Steam. So far so good!

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Might and Magic 4&5: World of Xeen

The funny part? It's not nostalgia, I recently played that series and I still find it one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

Then again I still haven't finished Ultima 7: The Black Gate, so there's that...

And Star Control II, just look at this sexy avatar, look at it.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Mass Effect if we're counting that. WoW if we're including MMOs (I imagine we're not). In terms of "pure" RPGs it's got to be another vote for Dragon Age Origins.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
It's hard to say. A lot of my favorite WRPGs are hybrids with other genres. Fallout 3 is one of them, as well as Borderlands. But I also love KotOR, Deus Ex, the first Mass Effect, and The Elder Scrolls.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Zhukov said:
Mass Effect series.

I say this because (a) it really is my favourite and (b) it annoys the crap out of some people.

[sub]This reminds me, I really need to get a hold of Dark Souls one of these days...[/sub]
May I join you? Isn't it just delightful how you can troll people just by enjoying what you enjoy? Makes me giddy every day.

Though to be fair, the reasons why I like the Mass Effect series so much have almost nothing to do with the RPG parts of it. Fallout: New Vegas or Knights of the Old Republic II would be better contenders in that regard.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
My top ten, well technically eleven, WRPGs are:
Planescape: Torment
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Fallout 1, 2, 3, & New Vegas
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
Well, there are many of them. Off the top of my head I can think of KOTOR 2 with the Restored Content Mod, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effects 1-3, TES V and *picks up flame shield* Jade Empire. Haters gonna hate.