Favourite Album of 2013?

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
Hello all, Baby Eater aka Toast here! Some may remember me from ancient time.

Now then, I'm an old fashioned rock/metal fan, and most people with the same tastes seem to be overly critical with modern music and saying that it never stands up to old music. So I figured I'd expand mine and (hopefully) others' horizons by asking you guys/gals/other what is your favourite album/single/whathaveyou so far this year?

My personal pick would have to be Clutch's new album Earth Rocker, released March 15 (10 days before my birthday, it was an early gift :p). Everything about this album is near perfection. You can just tell that Clutch is firing all cylinders to bring the hardest, purest rock experience they could! Interestingly, Neil Fallon of Clutch said the album was made BECAUSE of the lack of "Pure heavy rock" songs coming out recently.

Here it is for listening should you ever have the time. My personal favourite is Unto the Breach!

So what are your personal picks of this year so far, or maybe even ones not released yet but you feel will be good?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Huh... the only album I have actually listened to is Ade's Spartacus, which wasn't that great. I'm rather surprised actually, at how little I've listened to this year. I am, however, excited to hear the new albums of Japanese death/doom band Coffins (The Fleshland), and Polish pagan black metal band Graveland (Thunderbolt of the Gods). I haven't heard them yet, but I assume either of those would be my picks for this year.

Oh, and there's Amon Amarth's new album, but I have grown bored with the band, and the released singe was very lackluster.

Edit: Well, fuck me. Just listened to a new Coffins song, and yep, it continues my belief that they're one of the heaviest, most crushing bands on earth. Mark this down as my favourite of the year, I guarantee you when I hear the full thing, it will be. Skull-caving heaviness.

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
I am, however, excited to hear the new albums of Japanese death/doom band Coffins (The Fleshland)
Y'know, I've been trying to get into more Japanese metal bands. May have to check them out!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Of what's been released this year mine would have to be The Greatest Generation by The Wonder Years. Great music and great lyrics that anybody can relate to.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Black Sabbath - 13

Scissor Sisters - Magic Hour

Avantasia - The Mystery of Time

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Alice in Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here

^These, thus far, have been pretty decent.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I have only brought 3 albums this year, "Wolfs Law" by The Joy Formidable would have to be my favourite so far. The other 2, "Every Weekend" and by Hadouken and "Infestissumam" by Ghost who I got into after seeing them at Download.

I think Mindless Self Indulgence have an album out this year, as do Senser so they may take my album of the year.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
I think 2013 has been pretty good so far. Top releases:

Steven Wilson - The raven that refused to sing (the king of progressive rock did it again)

Dark tranquility - Construct (their best album since Character)

Cult of Luna - Vertical (very dark, Swedish post metal)

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
So far, Sing to the Moon by Laura Mvula. It's just a brilliant album. I highly recommend it.

Daft Punk and Queens of the Stone age follow in second.

Of course I may have my opinion changed next week with the new Pet Shop Boys album, which is apparently awesome, plus the new NIN album in September could do the same.

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
I think "... Like Clockwork" by Queens of the Stone Age has this one in a bag. This is almost better than Songs For The Deaf (the album that got them well known internationally), and that's saying alot. I love the sort of old school rock sound the album goes for, reminiscent to the days of SFTD. They also did a 15 minute animation that I really liked that featured some of their better songs on the album.

Secondguess

Jul 5, 2013
Not sure if there's much of a techno following on these forums (just going by the answers so far), but Immunity by Jon Hopkins is a belter.

Random Access Memories is pretty great too...

Archer666

May 27, 2011
So far its a toss up between Kavinsky's Outrun album:

And Empire of the Sun's Ice on the Dune:

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
For me it's definitely My Shame is True by Alkaline Trio. It seems like they got their joy back in song writing. After (to me) a somerwhat disappointing album called This Addiction it was a breath of fresh air.

Plus hey, as a Rise Against fan I was treated to deliciousness:

Plus it also gave them an excuse to do an old song during an interview (two in fact) and they too sound amazing (I LOVE Matt's cleaner vocal style).

Best playing of Radio ever.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Black Sabbath's 13 was a bloody rush to listen to.
Hell, I'm listening to it as I write this post! :D

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
Not sure this counts as an album seeing as it was released as separate parts, but it was my favorite release(s) this year.
MCR - Conventional Weapons

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I think for me it's definitely been Gloryhammer's Tales from the Kingdom of Fife. It's the new band from the man behind Alestorm, Christopher Bowes, and is a straight-up power metal band who sing about a young hero from fantasy Scotland fighting an evil sorcerer who invades Dundee with an army of undead unicorns. It's the cheesiest album I've ever heard, but it revels in it and is awesome thanks to that attitude and the host of amazing musicians who made it possible.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
Omar Rodriquez-Lopez's(of the recently dissolved Mars Volta) new band Bosnian Rainbows' album is pretty damn good. D'Antoni Parks' drumming is outrageously good at times.

El-P and Killer Mike left a crater when they dropped this one. I'm not sure you can go any harder. 36 minutes of gold.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Man, it's only been like months... but I guess so far my Favorite Album is Man Or Astroman's Defcon 5...4...3...2...1...

Hard to find the album versions on youtube... so here's some live stuff... just as good...

Hardly breaking new ground, as far as the band goes... but especially for a reunion album... they've really taken some big steps in consolidating their sound, as a space themed, post rock inspired surf rock band, and have surprisingly concentrated a lot more on song writing this time around, which was a big problem with their early stuff... in that it all sort of sounded the same, and followed a pretty similar formula... so we get more songs like Antimatter Man, and Disintegrate that mix in vocal melodys with the usual sweeping guitars and pounding drums... though the album as a whole lacks the same kind of dedication to theme that albums like Eeviac and A Spectrum of Infinite Scale had, it seems to exceed them, on a song by song basis...<.<

Also Man Or Astroman? did the Jimmy Neutron Theme...

So that's something... :p