Favourite Album of 2013?

irok

Jun 6, 2012
Revolutionary said:
Not sure this counts as an album seeing as it was released as separate parts, but it was my favorite release(s) this year.
MCR - Conventional Weapons
God I hope so , there was about 8 other albums I was going to post but then I checked them all and found out they were like 2011, tragically I think this is the only one I've got.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Deafheaven's Sunbather.

<youtube=IpblqUh_C24>

Even the screams are beautiful.
Good choice, that is one of my favourites of the year so far as well.

Been diggin':

Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Wakusei Abnormal - Nandemonai
My Bloody Valentine - M B V
In Vain - Aenigma
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Tha Haxan Cloak - Excavation
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Deafheaven - Sunbather

Disappointments of the year:

Daft Punk - RAM
Black Sabbath - 13
Ghost - Infestissumam
Kanye West - Yeezus
Atoms for Peace - Amok

Elgnirp100

Jan 18, 2012
Aviators-From All Sides

No debate. Has to be this.

Example:

Aviators is also releasing his new album Mirrors later this year, which apparently might be even better than From All Sides.

Feb 22, 2009
For me, definitely Altar of Plagues' Teethed Glory and Injury. Even from self-professed metal fans I don't see much love for this kind of extreme/black metal on these forums (though I did spot Deafheaven up there so that's something), but hell I love this stuff and this is the best example I've heard.

Secondguess said:
Not sure if there's much of a techno following on these forums (just going by the answers so far), but Immunity by Jon Hopkins is a belter.
I second this! Though I did prefer his previous album personally.

Also seconding all the love I'm seeing for Like Clockwork, that's just the perfect alt-rock album, amazing stuff.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Baby Eater said:
My personal pick would have to be Clutch's new album Earth Rocker, released March 15 (10 days before my birthday, it was an early gift :p). Everything about this album is near perfection. You can just tell that Clutch is firing all cylinders to bring the hardest, purest rock experience they could! Interestingly, Neil Fallon of Clutch said the album was made BECAUSE of the lack of "Pure heavy rock" songs coming out recently.

Here it is for listening should you ever have the time. My personal favourite is Unto the Breach!

Love that album!

For me, it's a toss up between the new Killswitch Engage album, the second half of Stone Sour's House of Gold and Bones and the new Kvelertak album.

Oh, and the new Streetlight Manifesto/Toh Kay albums:

It's been a damn good year so far!

EDIT: Actually I do have a favourite, it's just that I keep thinking it came out at the end of last year, but it was actually released in February.
The Bronx are fucking awesome, and it's a wall-to-wall perfect album. Pretty much instant classic right there, I can't think of many other bands that can make such overwhelmingly cheerful music that's still heavy enough to thrash about to like a nutcase.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I don't listen to very many albums all in all, but the two I have this year I've both love. One being the aforementioned "...Like Clockwork" by Queens Of The Stone Age. The other is Hugh Laurie's "Didn't It Rain". Both marvellous albums in their own right.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
A fourth vote for Queens Of The Stone Age's ...Like Clockwork here (hey look, it's my avatar!). Also enjoyed the OP's suggestion, Clutch- Earthrocker, and Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't have any 2013 albums, I'm busy grabbing all the stuff I've missed from previous years.

I'm planning on picking up "Tomorrow's Harvest" by Boards of Canada and "Mosquito" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, so I guess one of those will be my favorite of the year.

blueshark217

Aug 15, 2009
I know must of you don't listen to them, but I've been listening to them since my moody teenage years. So I say Paramore by Paramore. I feel that Hayley Williams really gets a chance to show off her vocals in songs with much less teenage angst. The result is a nice, mature sounding album.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm bias to say Daft Punk: Random Memory Access due to the fact it is the only ablum I had properly listen to. Yes I am not up to date with the music trend nor am I up to date with the new musics out there other than my favourite bands/ groups.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Fortunately, it's been mentioned several times... I'm adding my vote to QotSA's ...Like Clockwork. Such a fantastic album. Of the ten songs, there are only 2 of which I'm not really fond. The remaining 8 I can listen to on repeat for hours on end.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I must say I am really enjoying QotSA ...Like Clockwork which seems to be the popular choice. I have also been enjoying Comedown machine by the Strokes. Admittedly it isn't as good as Is this it but enjoyable nonetheless. This probably doesn't really count, but I have rediscovered Shostakovitch's The Gadfly recently. Listening to it really sends a shiver up my spine, especially:

Scyimgeour

Jul 7, 2013
I was really surprised when I found out about Jacco Gardner, his music is very psychedelic/baroque, has a very 60's sound to it and not in the sense that it took some weak influence and threw in typical guitar riffs. Jacco just went full on and it makes me euphoric."Cabinet of Curiosities" is definitely my favourite so far for this year.

nincrony

Aug 18, 2011
For me it's all been about the comeback album so far. Surprised there's not been a shout out for David Bowie's new album 'The Next Day'. That's probably the one I've listened to the most. Others include My Bloody Valentine's M B V and QoTSA's ...Like Clockwork. I'm also very fond of Nick Cave's new album Push The Sky Away.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I suppose seeing as only one of my artists that I listen to have released an album so far this year, I am kinda forced to pick theirs. Artiface [http://patientzero.bandcamp.com/] which have a lot of hit or miss songs in it. Cyber punk eletronic, but I'm not expecting more than a few people to actually agree with my tastes, cause' I'm a strange loser like that. But I enjoy it none the less. The first three tracks are pretty bad, though the third one was redeemable with a quick edit of removing the terrible terrible part.

IGetNoSlack

Sep 21, 2012
The only album I've listened to in it's entirety this year are Random Access Memories by Daft Punk. I'll be picking up ...Like Clockwork soon though.

I am, however, looking forward to MGMT's new album, as well as Arcade Fire's.

silentNate

Apr 1, 2013
Only got two albums this year; Fall Out Boy 'Save Rock and Roll' and Mogwai's soundtrack to Les Revenants.

By far I'd say the Fall Out Boy is the best album this year but as a crazed fanboy I'd say no different.

Instead check out this...