Favourite Team Fortress 2 tactics?

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
There's always a bunch of threads about what your favourite class, but what's important isn't what you have, it's what you do with it, no? Therefore, what do you usually do? Stand there heavily (see what I did there? I'll be here all week!) and soak up damage, or something more complex like the 180 stairjump backstab? Maybe all you ever try to accomplish is an airblasted flaming arrow headshot?

Of course we all change in the heat of the moment if we have to, but if you get the chance to choose, what do you want to accomplish, and how do you do it?

Bonus: Share your most awesome moment of improvisation too!

... I know the TF2 threads have been done to death, but this is relatively new and I'm bored.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
I run around and shoot people that are different colour than me. I'm not racist, I swear!

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
I like stickycamping. It's useless in 90% of situations, but it's also hilarious. Same goes for the Mad Milk/Fish combo.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
If i notice theres a lack of engies or Medics i always play has those (has i like to be a supportive kind of player), on defense maps always either engie or pyro.

When it's just for shizzles and giggles i always go spy, considering it's the best trolling class, and if i find myself getting attack by far too many spies on one team i go pyro.

If it's a critical point defension, i go pyro and support any engies who are protecting that area (spy checks and all).

on attacking i go heavy, but if there's a lack of medics or support i'll go demoman (considering it's one of the best classes for corner checks).

So yeah... those are not much strategies, they are more common sense...

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
i like going around as an engineer with my trusted mini sentry, you can get a lot of kills if you know how to do it, destroying your own sentry for crits with the frontier justice, the only thing is that you have to flank, if you find a soldier for example, he will win 90% of the time if its a fair fight, so yeah, flanking (if you know how to sentry jump with the mini sentry and the wrangler you can do some really good damage with surprise attacks, or killing the medics)

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
As a scout on attack, use bonk to run to the enemies spawn and get their teleporter, hide around picking off weaker classes then as your team gets the first point be on the second for a stupidly quick cap.

Works well on Dustbowl.

Dedtoo

Aug 28, 2009
Norway
Well, i found that whipping a heavy as soldier on 2fort can be quite effective, especially with a medic to help as well.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The Turret Heavy. Hop on the payload and giggle the whole way to the goal.

You didn't say it had to be a good strategy.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Dead Ringing along with some nice invistrapping and 180 stabbing. I swear, I got the 1k backstab achievement in under a month of play legit, and it was the FUN way.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
As Spy, run around with the Dead Ringer/default knife combo, occasionally go for the opportunistic Ambassador low health kill.

I really base my entire playstyle around the Dead Ringer, i find no one ever notices the loud de-cloak sound and if you don't run into any asshole Pyros you can spend the entire game backstabbing/sapping your way into a corner, "dying," waiting for the unsuspecting victims to let their guard down and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Protip: Use the enemy Spy as a disguise, they're the least deadly class in the "wait that guy's ME?!" situation. Also walking around while disguised as an enemy Spy is less suspicious than any other class.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
The Turret Heavy. Hop on the payload and giggle the whole way to the goal.

You didn't say it had to be a good strategy.
"Wave bye to ya head wanker!"

Sorry couldnt resist :3

OT: Spy with Cloak and dagger, your eternal reward and Enforcer, it gets funny when the guys are like "HES DISGUISED AS ME!" Then I just backstab someone else and the cycle starts again :D

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
As a Scout, I love jumping over people chasing me. Turn a corner, turn around, and go right over them.

It usually confuses them, and gives me a chance for a good meatshot.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Eyelander + Targe = Eyepatched Scotsman headed rapidly in your direction brandishing a large blade.

I dunno why but I just find melee combat so fun in TF2.

Captcha =

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Demo
Sticky-jumper. I like being on one side of the map, then two seconds later being on the other.

Engineer
When your sentry gets a kill, move it somewhere else. Never make its location predictable. Same tactics as the sniper.

On CTF, leave superfluous buildings in obvious spots. They provide advance warning, and slow down the stupider enemies. Nothing like seeing an enemy give away his position on Turbine like blasting my useless teleporter exit from the vents.

Spy
Pay attention to what buildings you sap and when. It inevitably draws attention, which you need to regulate. Sometimes, you can leave an Engineer encampment alone if it means getting to the intel.

Drop the intel and cloak when behind enemy lines. It might save your life, and enemies will sometimes move their whole operation to defend that spot...leaving their normal intel spot wide open.

Don't be afraid to use your gun. People guarding against a backstab don't expect it.

Scout
The Force-a-Nature is a mediocre weapon, but an awesome movement tool. Combine with the Atomizer to get to spots that normally only Soldiers and Demos can reach...like the grating in 2Fort.