Fear 3 Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Fear 3 Review

Just leave the kiddie security blanket and night lights in the attic, you probably won?t need them.

Read Full Article

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Hmmm. I may look into this game, but that whole level up system seems to be incredibly stupid. Still, I did have fun with the previous two games and playing as Fettel sounds awesome.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
I definitely agree that it wasn't scary scary. It did have some moments that were jumpy scary.

Overall I was mostly impressed by how fluid the gunplay and movement, and pretty much everything else, actually felt. Especially playing as Fettel which was the most fun I've had in a very long time.

Although I was kinda unhappy with how, on the PC version, there is no way for you to type and it is permanently open mic. You can turn incoming voice down but you can't stop your mic from transmitting into the game.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
F.E.A.R. Uno I thought was a GREAT game that managed to thread the line between pulse pounding action with guns that felt heavy and power, and pulse pounding HORROR with creepy images that only grew dread. F.E.A.R. 3 (and a lesser degree 2) I feel just undermines that. Alma just gets less and less scary now that she all but completely forgo's the little girl form, and is now just turning random people into zombies. Competative balance has also made Feddal a guinely scary half ghost monster into a guy that just throws weak physic hadoukens and must take the form of somebody else to be any kind of threat. And why do the guns all magically get redesigned every game? I would of liked them to actually just forget this madness and see what else the FIRST ENCOUNTER ASSAULT REACON actually deals with. Something new, something fresh.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
"Justin Clouse wasted so many shotgun shells on Alma freaking him out in the first Fear." - Hehe, that made me chuckle, so true.

I may give this game a shot as I was a huge fan of the first Fear, but I've avoided Fear 2 due to bad recommendations from friends.

Also, let's keep in mind that the third game was made by Day 1 and not Monolith, although that's not much saying, as they wasted quite much potential that Fear 2 had.

Also, the name stands for First Encounter Assault Recon, not just issue with "Alma is pissed, she want to kill everyone", there's still quite some potential for the name alone, with a different story and a different setting. Maybe nothing of Fear 3 really happened and it was just a dream and they moved into other things, I don't know, but just a little change wouldn't hurt anybody.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
My big problem with this game is that it was badly balanced for single player.

It was easy for 99% of the game but then there were these massive difficulty spikes - fighting 2 commanders, being locked in a room full of hellhounds, fighting a mech and bunch of soldiers in a courtyard with no decent cover....

It got very frustrating at times, and it was way too short. F.E.A.R. 2 is still my favourite in the series.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
My main criticism with the concept of F3AR, (and I haven't played it and haven't decided whether I will,) is that before you were up against the big bad scary things now you are the big bad scary things. I don't doubt the gameplay, I see playing as Paxton Fettel would be fun and different, but I actually liked the horror-ness of FEAR.

I still go back to feeling that the best installment of the game was the non-canon Extraction Point. It had some great uneasy moments, most of which wou weren't even attacked. FEAR set the scene well, Extraction point continued it to great effect. Everything since then has gone way off on a tangent, substituting atmosphere for jump-out quicktime scares. You're treading a fine line when you put a super-soldier against nasties and expect the super-soldier to come off as vulnerable. FEAR and Extraction point managed this - most of the time at least. Everything since then has just been disappointing.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I fear that this game will have to wait for a Steam sale before I'm going to buy it.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I've been interesting in buying this, but I think it'd be best for me to get the first two which I haven't played.
Seeing as I do like gorey/scary games, it doesn't look bad for me.

.... ^- What.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
My biggest disappointment with this game is that damn near no one is playing the multiplayer (at least on the PC). Seriously penny arcade gave it some good word, total biscuit, various review sites have given it positive reviews, yet I see maybe 1 or two games at the most when I connect and they've always been foreign players who don't speak english, so teamwork gets to be a bit tricky.
I don't get it, gamers have been clamoring for an FPS that isn't the straight up deathmatch or capture the flag, and finally someone delivers a pretty solid/different take on the FPS multiplayer and no one buys it, damn you gamers, damn you all.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I agree with the review overall, though I did like the fact that the ending was based on who was the most favorite son overall. Neither was 'good' or 'bad' per-se. But more Point Man/Fettel. And Fettel ending was... gruesome to say the least.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
I fully expect Yahtzee to rip this one into pieces.

OT: Good review Justin. I kinda want to get into the Fear story, but three whole shooter games is also kind of a big investment...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is a great game. He didn't touch on the MP at all, which is a shame because it's really good. I mean, the game mechanics are great, but it has some technical issues such as the microphones are messed up and what not. But, still a great game.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Superior Mind said:
My main criticism with the concept of F3AR, (and I haven't played it and haven't decided whether I will,) is that before you were up against the big bad scary things now you are the big bad scary things. I don't doubt the gameplay, I see playing as Paxton Fettel would be fun and different, but I actually liked the horror-ness of FEAR.

I still go back to feeling that the best installment of the game was the non-canon Extraction Point. It had some great uneasy moments, most of which wou weren't even attacked. FEAR set the scene well, Extraction point continued it to great effect. Everything since then has gone way off on a tangent, substituting atmosphere for jump-out quicktime scares. You're treading a fine line when you put a super-soldier against nasties and expect the super-soldier to come off as vulnerable. FEAR and Extraction point managed this - most of the time at least. Everything since then has just been disappointing.
I think the main problem people have with FEAR is that they think it's a horror game when it's really an action game. It has a few horror elements, mostly dealing with the gorier side of the paranormal, but really the series is about high octane dude murdering. It had some cool moments, loved the haunted insane asylum, but I was never even remotely scared by ay of it.

OT: I liked the game, and I'd probably give it the same recommendation, maybe four stars. I wasn't entirely pleased with the story though even though it did interest me enough to want to know what happens, though not to the extent that I was on the edge of my seat or anything. It left three important characters completely unmentioned, and I miss the replica as their own faction.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i pretty much agree with this review. fear 1 was scary, fear 2 had just few scary moments (the scariest part in my opinion is still the school) wile fear 3 is really more action with a few freaky moments but nothing to get excited about.

alma sure looks freaky with her orange eyes though. lol. but scary, not really. he was right about the electronic section. it gave an uneasy feeling but the place were i really got a bit freaked out was the meat locker. now this was really a place you dont want to be. lol.

but yes, fear 3 is a solid shooter. the AI is good and you have to be careful where you stand because they like to flank you and shoot you in the ass.
playing as fettel is alright. havent played coop though. still play the SP before i do a coop match with some one.
so yeah, as a shooter with some horror elements, you enjoy this game. but if you are hoping to get scared like in faer 1, this is the wrong game.

PS, i am sure yahzee will take this game apart. lol

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Radoh said:
Hmmm. I may look into this game, but that whole level up system seems to be incredibly stupid. Still, I did have fun with the previous two games and playing as Fettel sounds awesome.
It is stupid. You shoot 5 guys, and then see "1500 points" on the screen. It tends to hurt immersion, largely because the XP notice is much more colorful and obnoxious than in RPG's, and because it just doesn't suit the atmosphere for the game.

For the record, however, the penetrator is one of the best weapons in the game. It is a one hit kill with a headshot on almost anyone, which combined with slowmo gives you both good ammo efficiency, and allows you to kill fairly quickly. Most guns require several headshots to kill an enemy.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I absolutely hated how it was so co op focused and used the point/score system despite playing lone. As far as I'm concerned, the FEAR series is over.
Zhukov said:
Hm. Looks like Steam Sale fodder to me.
Yes, it is