Feds are reportedly abducting people in portland

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So, as someone living in Portland, I do in fact find this utterly terrifying. Portland has no burned down federal or police buildings, looting has occurred but not as wildly as in LA or Atlanta. We didn’t have our police threaten a walkout like in Louisville. No CHOP or any protester caused deaths like in Seattle. The DHS’s own page reports two police “possible concussions” and one “firebombing” as the sum total of violence justifying their actions.

No, they’re mad because people fired bottle rockets and Roman candles at a giant concrete courthouse. For this, they’re shooting people in the face and abducting people in the night. I don’t want my city to be Trump’s testing ground for his gestapo, but absolutely zero elected officials are doing anything about it because in all honesty they’re happy for this to happen so long as Trump is blamed. This country’s leaders are sacrificing my city for a fucking presidential election. I hate all of them and will forgive none of them.
I don't think you should be giving such specific information about yourself on the internet, that's very dangerous.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I wasn't trying to comment on the morality/legality/etc of self-defense. I was talking about the call for others to put themselves in harm's way while sitting comfortably at home typing away at a computer. Hell, carrying a weapon might actually be the right thing to do, but, make no mistake, these federal agents would have no qualms responding lethally as we've seen other law enforcement do time and time again.
Don't make presumptions about what I have, have not, am, or am not doing with regards to these protests, locally or otherwise.

In case you have yet to notice, simply being on the street and protesting is putting oneself in harm's way regardless what one is wearing or how they are protesting. Tear gas and pepper sprays don't have IFF's, and if cops are openly firing upon news crews as they have consistently in most major cities including the metropolitan area I live in, you can be damn sure they're not making distinctions between "protesters" and "rioters" or whatever nonsense is being employed this week to justify mass state-perpetrated violence this week as has been repeatedly demonstrated for the past fifty days consecutively. Hell, given the number of members of the press, bystanders, commuters, and homeless that have been caught up in police violence, targeted, apprehended, and/or harmed, during these protests, one doesn't even need to be a protester to be in harm's way.

Spare me your moralizing.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I sincerely (probably naively) hope this is just a really lame and tasteless joke.

Because otherwise...Man you are WAAAAY out of touch.

The protests started because there's far too little (if any) accountability in Law Enforcement whenever they do something horrible. So, CLEARLY, they do not want unidentified federal goons grabbing people off the street.

The only "good" thing to come out of this is the authoritarian, totalitarian BS of this administration and their allies on the right is going to be very VERY difficult to just brush away. Federal goons in unmarked vans! If this happened under Obama, Congress would be screaming for his head and filing impeachment charges!

Finally, if we wanna talk "revolutionary dissident roleplaying", that's more the wheelhouse of the guys who stormed state capitol buildings with guns to loudly claim they're being oppressed for...Business being temporarily shut down because of a lethal pandemic and for having to wear masks and stay 2 meters apart.
I'm not going to defend the reputations of armed people protesting pandemic restrictions, you could quite fairly call that political larping.

If the feds were intervening in a 50 day long protest for racial equality in literally any other major city in America, I might take it seriously, but Portlandia is Portlandia for good reason. It's the whitest city of its size in the US, and it's full of hipsters with ridiculous politics and even more ridiculous ideas on activism.

Reactions: Aegix Drakan

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I wasn't saying that White Supremacist groups or whatnot were doing this. Just that if you're a random citizen walking along the street and guys with guns in tactical gear appear and try to force you into a unmarked van while not being willing to talk or identify themselves, that random citizen might deem this as dangerous and a kidnapping and react accordingly. You have no idea who these men are and the only reason you might think they're legit is they have a POLICE stencil on their chest but anyone could sew a POLICE stencil to their chest. This random citizen might be armed and if you're of the mind that armed men are trying to kidnap you, that seems like the time to use your weapon as in your mind, if these people were legit, they'd be identifying themselves and showing proper identification.

THAT'S my worry. Basically if these DHS agents are doing this, one of them (or the citizen) is going to get killed because the DHS isn't identifying themselves or showing proper identification.
Apologies. I understood what you meant. It's my reasoning that the people these 'Feds' would try to nab wouldn't be your typical 'storm the government', 'you can take my ar-15 away from me over my dead body', 'We need a militia to protect from over reach by the government' sort of people.

Those people who believe that stuff are probably at home thinking that it's about time that someone took the protesters off of the street.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I don't think you should be giving such specific information about yourself on the internet, that's very dangerous.
I’m already a registered DSA member, if they’re gonna start arresting random Oregonian leftists I’m already fucked for other reasons.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm not going to defend the reputations of armed people protesting pandemic restrictions, you could quite fairly call that political larping.

If the feds were intervening in a 50 day long protest for racial equality in literally any other major city in America, I might take it seriously, but Portlandia is Portlandia for good reason. It's the whitest city of its size in the US, and it's full of hipsters with ridiculous politics and even more ridiculous ideas on activism.
Could you go into more detail on this?

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Could you go into more detail on this?
No he can’t because his idea of Portland is informed by a TV show by SNL writers
Edit- that being said, Oregon is a disproportionately white state due to the legacy of colonialism. The public property granted during the 1800’s to settlers was exclusively granted to white men, the state was setup as a whites only free soil state, and the police were heavily infiltrated by the KKK to enforce sundown laws and the like during the 20’s to 50’s. Finally, the redlining and economic inequalities of the Civil Rights era meant that when the migration of Californians to Oregon fleeing the expansion of LA occurred, the ones who could afford to live in the Willamette valley that now make up the majority of the population of Oregon were mostly white.

Last edited:

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Oregon has concealed carry laws and is generally one of the most permissive states regarding gun laws in the country. The protesters aren’t openly carrying guns or using them in self-defense because if they did the cops would kill them and dozens of others.
Until you read the fine print. Oregon doesn't honor reciprocity, has a certification requirement for concealed carry, and permits are issued at the discretion of county sheriff's offices.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Until you read the fine print. Oregon doesn't honor reciprocity, has a certification requirement for concealed carry, and permits are issued at the discretion of county sheriff's offices.
They’re absurdly easy to get, and “reciprocity“ stand your ground laws are utterly idiotic. They cause more deaths than saved lives, always have always will. You can still easily get an AR and hundreds of rounds, and easily carry it around in public (open carry is completely legal of course).

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Good news, the Portland Police will not continue to collaborate with federal authorities. They won’t stop them, they actually won’t do anything differently at all, but the Feds are no longer allowed in their clubhouse because the Portland Police respect the rights of the people of Portland to only be extra-judiciously brutalized by cops with electric tape over their names and badge numbers, rather than cops who don’t wear their names or badge numbers.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Apologies. I understood what you meant. It's my reasoning that the people these 'Feds' would try to nab wouldn't be your typical 'storm the government', 'you can take my ar-15 away from me over my dead body', 'We need a militia to protect from over reach by the government' sort of people.

Those people who believe that stuff are probably at home thinking that it's about time that someone took the protesters off of the street.
Gotcha

I guess really what it depends on is if these are just "we're grabbing random protesters to try to put the Fear of God into them" or if they are actively targeting specific people (from what I've read, it sounds like they were after specific people, not just choosing "at random").

But even if they are targeting specific people, I think people have underestimated how much George Floyd and the sheer turmoil we've been dealing with for the past few months has changed things. Granted, it is anecdotal but I know a handful of people whose opinions on guns and gun ownership has shifted with everything going on. Basically deciding "Hey, if Trump does go nutter butters, maybe I should have a gun...". It's probably correct to think that a Left leaning protesters are less likely to have a gun than the Right leaning protesters but it's not zero. Especially in America, it is not a zero percent chance that the guy they're going to try to grab next is going to panic from the two random weirdos trying to force him into their unmarked van and decides to pull out his piece and defend himself.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
They’re absurdly easy to get, and “reciprocity“ stand your ground laws are utterly idiotic. They cause more deaths than saved lives, always have always will. You can still easily get an AR and hundreds of rounds, and easily carry it around in public (open carry is completely legal of course).
We'll find out when and if some of these folks racking up disorderly, disrupting, failure to disperse, and resisting charges apply for CHL's, won't we. But, I suppose the irony of vesting the power in choosing who gets to concealed carry, in the hands of those citizens are most likely to need defense from, is lost here.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
We'll find out when and if some of these folks racking up disorderly, disrupting, failure to disperse, and resisting charges apply for CHL's, won't we. But, I suppose the irony of vesting the power in choosing who gets to concealed carry, in the hands of those citizens are most likely to need defense from, is lost here.
Oh. Ok that’s fair, most of these bullshit charges are just meant to make their lives difficult until they’re dropped anyway. Just assumed you were playing some bullshit culture wars game.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States

And what happens when right-wing extremists figure out this is free real estate for dressing up in their tacticool best and committing hate crimes, anteing up on the assumption their lack of visual distinction from federal law enforcement will shield them from reprisal?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Also, they are CBP agents.
Not surprising. CBP is about the lowest you can go on the federal law enforcement totem pole without resorting to the prison bureau.

It's also helpful that due to Supreme Court rulings and DOJ/DHS policies, they technically have extra-constitutional authority anywhere and everywhere within 100 miles of any "border" including the ocean and international airports.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Counterpoint, notice this only seems to be happening in states with restrictive carry laws and weak stand-your-ground/castle doctrine provisions, and against groups hostile to policing but simultaneously generally anti-gun. I strongly doubt feds would be as willing to cruise around in unmarked non-standard vehicles, looking for people to pluck off the streets without proper identification, probable cause, or due process, in states where people can (and probably would) legally open fire in self defense. Note when CBP/ICE pulls this shit in "if somebody attacks you feel free to blow their ass away" states, they roll in clearly identified and licensed agency vehicles, wear uniforms that clearly signify both agency and law enforcement status, and have their badges/identification on outermost layer.

As far as I can tell this series of decisions has been made with one distinct purpose: to make it impossible for people to tell the difference between law enforcement and violent right-wing extremists.
[/QUOTE]

I was wondering to myself "So, if they're not IDing themselves as police, what exactly is stopping someone from trying to defend themselves with deadly force?"

Because that's gonna make an interesting court case if/when it does happen.

The acting head of Homeland Security(because why confirm these people when you can just appoint them) sounds like he's pretty much on board with this shit. https://www.kdrv.com/content/news/A...ment-criticizing-local-leaders-571805141.html

“The city of Portland has been under siege for 47 straight days by a violent mob while local political leaders refuse to restore order to protect their city," Acting DHS Secretary Chad Wolf said in his July 16 release. "Each night, lawless anarchists destroy and desecrate property, including the federal courthouse, and attack the brave law enforcement officers protecting it."

“A federal courthouse is a symbol of justice — to attack it is to attack America," Wolf said. "Instead of addressing violent criminals in their communities, local and state leaders are instead focusing on placing blame on law enforcement and requesting fewer officers in their community. This failed response has only emboldened the violent mob as it escalates violence day after day."
He makes it sound like the Battle of Berlin has been going on for nearly two months, where it's mostly been fireworks, rock throwing and graffiti on the protestor side. Shit that does not require feds in armored trucks and unmarked cars.

Also, I'm not sure why they think is this going to de-escalate the situation at all. Instead it just seems to be amping people up more.

Last edited:

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Well the good news is tonight the protests were mostly in north Portland around the North Precinct and the police union building, so less random vans tonight and more normal police vs protester shit, with the addition of a fire in the union building (looks like it was a flare from photos, so rather minor). Escalation has clearly occurred on the part of the very obviously very angry crowd, but they’ve made the wise decision to move far away from the courthouse and focus on the police union which is a more comprehensible target. The more mixed news is tomorrow there’s a planned march on the ICE facility, which will obviously go swimmingly.
Edit- nevermind, it’s just that all the journalists and organizers I follow were in North Portland, there was a sizable protest at the courthouse including a line of unarmed women calling themselves the “Wall of Moms” and they’re getting fucked up of course. Great.

Last edited:

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Also, I'm not sure why they think is this going to de-escalate the situation at all. Instead it just seems to be amping people up more.
Yes. Tonight the crowd lighting dumpster fires and blocking doors at the courthouse is made up largely of unaffiliated middle class white women. That, contrary to the accusations of various fash adjacent hacks, is not normal for Portland, where typically these crowds are made up of younger male students as well as the unemployed and homeless in the wake of COVID, though organizers are typically more diverse than the crowd. The organizers went to a different part of the city and crowds still showed up at the courthouse. Snatching people in vans has made more Portlanders extremely mad.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Also appearing tonight, this seemingly pretty cool dude who was somewhere across the line defined as “federal property” by the dudes beating him. Looks to be older and at least trying to be seen as a vet. Honestly excellent civil disobedience provided he follows up with lawsuits.