Feed Dump: Nightflight to Venus

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Next step is copyrighting Whar-gar-bal and then sit back and just watch those dino quarters pour in.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Saltyk said:
Draconalis said:
I heard about that, and to clarify:

It wasn't actually the pilot that dodged Venus, it was the Co-Pilot. The Pilot was asleep, (because they are allowed power naps due to how stressful their job is) and there was another plane coming at them... the other plane was just 800 feet below them. So the co-pilot was like "It's not 800 feet below us! It's coming right for us!" because he saw a very bright light ahead of him (see: Venus) and dove suddenly. The pilot woke up, and pulled the plane back up because his co-pilot is an idiot.

Incidentally, had the Pilot NOT pulled the plane up... they would have collided with the other plane.

I also heard about the murder free day as well :D
I had thought that the co-pilot was the one that was asleep. That he had been asleep for nearly twice as long as was generally allowed, and when he woke up he freaked out and made the plane dive to avoid what he had thought was the other plane. Though, you got everything else right. Unless, I am making this up or they updated the story since I read about it.
Yeah, the version I heard was that the pilot was flying as normal and the copilot was asleep (which is allowed). Then the copilot got woken up by a proximity alarm from the plane below (which was just a warning as they weren't close enough to be a problem), but still groggy from sleep he panicked and started a dive before the main pilot overrode again.

Which highlights two problems: (a) while it's ok for the pilots to nap, why are they allowed to do so right next to the controls? (b) why would the copilot seize control of the plane away from the pilot, when he didn't have enough information to make a safe decision for avoidance anyway (as he actually steered towards the other plane)?

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Don Reba said:

Cain_Zeros said:
Don Reba said:
It is legal currency, but it is larger than a normal quarter, so it won't work in a vending machine.
What? Why can't it be normal-size like all our other special coins?
The other coloured coins there are also too large. Some coins are not even round, such as this $15 one:
[http://www.mint.ca/store/coin/15-fine-silver-lunar-lotus-coin-year-of-the-dragon-2012-prod1140001]
I've lived in Canada for 21 years and never seen that. But we have Winter Olympic coins to commemorate the fact that the got Canadians to make the ice for the Salt Lake Olympics and they stuck a coin at centre ice as some sort of good luck thing. And Remembrance Day quarters every year. And those are normal size.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
WHAR-GAR-BAHL! Ah, Desert Bus... you were the perfect holiday treat.

Love this show, guys. Keep it up!

mip0

Nov 25, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Gra-Gra Gra-ham Stark
Lov-er-of-La-dy-Kath-leen
It was a shame how you've carried ooooooooooooooon
Gra-Gra Gra-ham Stark
Internet's greatest love machine
There was i cat that really was gone~~ (switch with your line)
hey hey hey hey ...

You guys are great. *Backslash-land* You guys are getting better.
*Backslash-Longleftrightarrow*
This is a statement.

sievr

May 8, 2010
It doesn't really seem fair to rag on El Salvador like that. My home state of Arizona had about 400+ murders in 2010, and out population is equivalent to El Salvador. I don't know whether or not any of those days were murder free, but the statistical average for us is still more than 1 murder a day. Just saying.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I read an article about that coin...so awesome. props to Canada!

this week's Dump had me laughing throughout xD