Felicia Day Flips in New Dragon Age: Redemption Trailer

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Felicia Day Flips in New Dragon Age: Redemption Trailer

It's awkwardly rendered blood splats and low-budget fantasy costumes galore in the official trailer for BioWare's first attempt at a web series.

Not long after The Guild was able to reach a million viewers, it seems like everyone has been trying to cash in on the Internet video craze, a model perfect for productions made at low risk for viewers with low attention spans. Some have been brilliant, others ... not so much. Soon, videogame giant BioWare will be vying for some viral vids of its own with Dragon Age: Redemption, a series created by The Guild's own Felicia Day.

Here is BioWare's official description of the series:

In Dragon Age: Redemption, Day stars as Tallis, an Elven assassin hired by the Qunari to capture a rogue mage intent on wreaking havoc throughout the world. In her quest to find this dangerous mage, Tallis is joined by other companions who are not always aligned in their beliefs and goals, but who band together to defeat their foe, in an attempt to restore peace and balance to this dark fantasy universe.

Day, game-geek, nerd-girl icon extraordinaire, is not only starring in the six-episode long, upcoming web series, but will also provide the voice of Tallis in Mark of the Assassin, the next Dragon Age 2 DLC expansion in which the elf rogue will be a central character.

If you fell into the camp that disliked Dragon Age 2, I'm not sure this web series is going to be the effort that wins you over. It's hard to say if BioWare failed to throw enough time, money, or talent at this production, but whatever the reason, the effects and costuming shown in Redemption's first trailer don't even match quality with many of the amazing videogame fan films that now seem to hit YouTube on almost a monthly basis (check out Outside Aperture [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110482-Outside-Aperture-Answers-Portals-Biggest-Question] if you're not convinced).

Still, a trailer is just a trailer. We'll have to wait until the series premieres to get a better idea of what we can expect from the real deal. Both Dragon Age: Redemption and the Mark of the Assassin DLC hit the tubes on October 11th.

Source: Machinima [http://www.youtube.com/user/machinima]

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
If Bioware really wants to redeem the Dragon Age franchise it's gonna take more than Felicia Day playing an elf in a cheaply made web show set in The Dragon Age universe. Now say they put Felicia Day playing a sexually confused inmate in a cheaply made web show set in a women's prison now THAT could go a long way in smoothing things over with Bioware and myself.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
That struck me as, well... a bit silly.

I think live action Tolkienesque fantasy kind of needs a budget.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
A Curious Fellow said:
A live action trailer for a videogame?

Back to the homepage.
No, it's for the web series that will be a companion to the game. The character in the live-action short also appears in the game.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Zhukov said:

I have to agree with you. If you can't afford the make-up artists or actors, its just gonna look like you're larping with some minor special affects.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Zhukov said:

That's what I was thinking as well. This seems like a really, really bad idea. I can't imagine it winning many people over, and I'm sure plenty of people are going to mock it.

In her quest to find this dangerous mage, Tallis is joined by other companions who are not always aligned in their beliefs and goals, but who band together to defeat their foe, in an attempt to restore peace and balance to this dark fantasy universe.
Even their web series has the same cliched Bioware plot!

sage42

Elite Member
Mar 20, 2009
Honestly to me it doesn't look that bad, aside from, the Qunari who just look silly. I can understand Miss Day trying to branch out from comedy. Though the ears do look a bit silly as well, but hey so did the elves in DA2 so I suppose that works.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wait this isn't a fanmade garage project? Well then it looks a bit shit, I'm guessing they didn't really aim higher then that.

I just wonder if it can be worse then the D&D movie.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
It looks pretty low budget, but I'm still looking forward to it. Won't be getting the DLC though.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I liked Dragon Age II.
I don't like poorly conceived outsourcing.
I'm indifferent about Felicia Day.

Yeah, passing on this.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I think I'll like this one. The effects aren't great, but it's not deal-breaking bad. I love felicia day and teh costumes looks cool enought that I'll get sucked in to the setting. Being a big Felicia Day fan helps, but honestly, I'd watch it anyway.
I think it's great they try and do so ething different. So far, movies based on games haven't given us anything above "not sucking" so I'm all for trying out new ground.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
The budget looks way too low to do it justice, but it still looks like it could be fun, and I've been interested to see Felicia Day do something outside comedy for a while.

Nice to see her not made up to look like a poor man's Na'vi, too. Horned qunari I can take, but DA2's elves rank up there as one of the stupidest redesigns I've ever seen.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Looks generic, but I will be more than happy to give it a chance. Trailers seldom do a tv show any justice.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Sonic Doctor said:
unacomn said:
Near the end, did she say "Victory is a legume"?
I think it was in "Victory is in the Qun". So she is an elf that follows the Qun.
The whole V.O., including that line, is from some Qunari death prayer, though admittedly, I had to look that up. At first, I thought she was saying "victory is in the queue," as in..."First breakfast, then a bit of a jog, then victory. Don't worry, I'll get to it. It's on my to-do list."