Fellow members of the PC master race! Mice recommendations?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Strelok said:
My razor Deathadder died a few months ago and I picked up a R.A.T. 7, been pretty good, increased my kills in BF3. First day using it got 10 knife kills in a single match. Got my melee tags that day. XD

I would actually tell people to stay away from the R.A.T 7 and beyond series, they have notorious tracking issues considering how expensive they are. Sadly, I own one and it's tracking problems have only gotten worse with age. Absolutely amazing that it has so much customization and great overall feel, but that doesn't help when it's core function is so broken.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
InfernalPaladin said:
romxxii said:
unless your hands are extremely dextrous, there's no need for those super-imba DPI mice. Get them for the extra buttons, sure, but at the end of the day, your main concern should be ergonomics and responsiveness of the optic sensors.
That's is pretty much all you need to look into, aside from price if you're on a budget.

I own a R.A.T 5 which is easily the nicest mouse I can think of. I'm a 'claw' type player so being able to keep the width of the mouse while moving the back plate forward is a huge bonus. Plus having those couple of extra buttons are always nice for general computing. Can thoroughly recommend the Cyborg line of mice; comfortable and adaptive (and they look really nice in my opinion).
I'm of the opposite mind.

I use a palm grip rather than a claw grip and the R.A.T 5 was terrible for me. It was really cool that I could shift around the weight on the mouse, and the mouse was responsive, but the fact that the back of the mouse is so open would make the mouse pinch at the back of my hand quite often and annoyed me to no end. Ended up returning it.

In all I'm sure it's a fantastic mouse for those who play claw, but it was terrible for me since I like to palm my mouse.

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
The Logitech M90 Optical Mouse is comfortable, economical, reliable and sleek, all the qualities you could want in an office mouse. The M90 is a full-size wired mouse, which features simple plug-and-play setup and 1000dpi tracking.

Seriously, don't get a gaming mouse.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sack of Cheese said:
Can we drop the "PC master race" thing already? This juvenile superiority complex is getting a little old.
The best thing about the truth is no matter how old it is it never becomes any less true.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
I just started PC gaming less than 6 months ago, and I hit the nail on the head with a mouse that fits me perfectly, the Razer Naga Hex. The mouse has a really great feel, and flows really really well with my fingers. The best thing I like about it is the 6 extra buttons on the left side, set up in a circle. Its a really nice design because you can set your thumb right in the middle and slide easily to any button, slide back, and not be confused at where you put your finger.

Its a really simple mouse with a great grip and good for gaming with those extra buttons. Also, the wire is covered with some tight fabric (it seems), so even the wire feels alot better, and looks better to.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-hex/

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Sack of Cheese said:
Can we drop the "PC master race" thing already? This juvenile superiority complex is getting a little old.
Don't get your panties in a twist, its a joke. I don't know if you watch Zero Punctuation but it was a line from one of his reviews (The Witcher to be precise) and was something poking fun at the stereotypical PC gamer's feelings of supremacy. Also, the things that make you angry the most are the things you know are true... you seem to be a little upset there, maybe your a little jealous of PC gamers? Try it, its cheaper than consoles by a huge margin anyways. So come... play with us

Anyways, unless your playing an MMO you really done need one, if your gonna get one go with this:

http://microcenter.com/product/388080/High_Resolution_Optical_USB_Gaming_Mouse_-_Red-Black

for a cheaper one and this:

http://microcenter.com/product/404419/M6980X_Laser_Gaming_Mouse

for a mid range one. Anything more than that is unnecessary and your just wasting money at that point

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Sack of Cheese said:

Wow...

It was cleary a joke... calm down. No one is going to die or anything.

Hell its not even flamey or anything, no insults, just stating a fact...

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Personally I'd recommend Logitech. I have a bunch of Logitech stuff and all of it is great.

I use a Logitech G9 mouse. Kinda expensive, but very accurate tracking, sturdy build, nice meshed wire, cool 2 modes for the scroll wheel: click-by-click scrolling for accuracy and free scrolling for speed (basically you spin the wheel once and it keeps going for 10-15 seconds), changeable grips (comes with 2 grips, one for "speed" and one for "comfort". I personally find the comfort one terrible, but you know.. preference, that's why there's more than one). You can save multiple speed and button binding profiles on the mouse itself and it has customizable weights (comes with a bunch of 4 and 7 gram cubes that you can slot into the mouse to alter it's handling).

There are a few things I don't particularly like. The shape was never particularly fit for me (I used a big, rounded mouse before and the G9 never really filled my hand in the same way or felt as good. It's not uncomfortable though). The plastic is matte and fairly grippy (especially on the "speed" grip, which has a bit of a textured feel to it) but boy does it get filthy. Cleaning it is a pain in the ass. Also the scroll button is kinda hard to press, but the side scroll is a bit too lose. Again, down to personal preference.

Other than that, I've had it for about 3 years, if not more, and it feels like a brand new mouse, there's no creaking plastic, there's no loose buttons, and there's little visual wear.

Very good mouse, though probably a bit overpriced unless you actually use all of it's features (I personally don't the profiles much, or the different grips).

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Duhh...I have the G9x however as I understand it it's been discontinued so expect to see prices skyrocket.

It comes with wights, it comes with 2 cases if you want to switch it up, the scroll wheel has a transmission (or something) you click a button and it doesn't click as you turn it but it free spins. Has various DPI settings you can have the LEDs change colors to a bunch of different options, it has 2 thumb buttons. Good times.

Also that whole master race thing is just wrong, that'd be if you hailed under the Sega Genesis's mighty BLAST PROCESSING!!!

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Get either Logitech G500 or G400, for anything else you are either paying too much money or not getting enough quality. And while I will probably gonna get some hate for this, I'm gonna say that you should probably avoid most of the Razer brand.

Aug 19, 2010
I've been using a Razer Naga Epic for some time now, and it's only ever been good to me. Not a single complaint. Works like a charm, extra buttons come in handy in some games, essential in others.And it's customizable!
http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-naga-epic

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Vhite said:
Get either Logitech G500 or G400, for anything else you are either paying too much money or not getting enough quality. And while I will probably gonna get some hate for this, I'm gonna say that you should probably avoid most of the Razer brand.
Your probably going to get alot of hate because you didnt -explain- why you dont like the Razer brand. Why dont you explain why? I could tell people to, 'probably avoid most drinks that have water in them', and you would wonder why I said that.

This is also interesting that you say that, because my first ever 'gaming' mouse is my Razer Naga Hex... which has been the best mouse ive used in my life, and works -excellent- for gaming.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
My recommendation is Razer mice, though they can be expensive. Any mouse should do however.

I have the Razer Naga Molten Lava (I fuckin' hate how that rhymes) mouse which I find quite good. Has buttons on the side which link to either the numpad numbers or top row numbers (there's a switch on the bottom of the mouse that determines which numbers you use) as well as two extra buttons next the the left click.

It even has a little cut out for your ring finger to slot into. That's a nice touch. It can be uncomfortable at first and you notice the heat of the LEDs under the numbers, but you get used to it.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
thiosk said:
The newer ones are completely silly with the amount of buttons they have. I personally have a quasi RAT7 called the COD Black Ops Stealth mouse.

Personally I love it, being able to tweak weight and palm position, and being able to change mouse sensitivity with a single button press is really really nice. The "proper" RAT mice have adjustable pinky grips and a few other things if you have odd shaped hands so its really easy to get it comfortable.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
thethird0611 said:
Vhite said:
Your probably going to get alot of hate because you didnt -explain- why you dont like the Razer brand. Why dont you explain why? I could tell people to, 'probably avoid most drinks that have water in them', and you would wonder why I said that.

This is also interesting that you say that, because my first ever 'gaming' mouse is my Razer Naga Hex... which has been the best mouse ive used in my life, and works -excellent- for gaming.
I was just waiting for someone to respond because someone would respond even if I explained what's wrong with them. Still, there was a chance of me being spared of this wall of text.
My problem with them is simple, and the new mice on the Razer website which people linked here just keep on solidifying it. As second post after OP said, they are the Alienware of peripherals. They are terribly overpriced and they features are often just buzzwords so what are you paying for is mostly pretty words, logos and some cool looking LEDs.
Also my long time problem with them used to be that they used to make ergonomically good mice with rather pointlessly high DPI and sold them for 200% price. Today they seem to have jumped on MOBA/MMO bandwagon and are putting as many buttons on them as they can. Lack of extra buttons was what used to turn me off their products but all I asked for was 3 or 4 extra buttons. Now you got mice like Razer Naga with 12 extra buttons on side. Is that a joke? Since when do mice need more buttons than cellphone? And of course they had to throw the ergonomics out of window to fit there so many buttons.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Since I can't possibly justify having multiple mice on one machine, I tend to go for the one Logitech per work/playstation approach. I am extremely partial to Logitech gear, because of build quality, amount and positioning of extra buttons and the general tactile pleasure that is wielding a Logitech.

Depending on what you actually need, there are gaming mice with even more buttons. I am generally happy with having a thumb button I can remap as being a middle click, and in potentially stressful experiences like the one offered by League of Legends, I usually have 1-3 buttons set to activate special abilities and/or smart casts.

I like my mice to be precise, easy to clean and not feel like a mostly empty lump of cheap plastic.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
You people and your crazy complicated mice. If you're poor like me (or just cheap) you can get a mouse/keyboard combo pack. Here's what I'm using right now. Logitech wireless desktop MK320

It also saves you a USB port.
thiosk said:
I've never seen ANY reason to have one of these abominations
So, what does it transform into?

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Vhite said:
thethird0611 said:
Vhite said:

I was just waiting for someone to respond because someone would respond even if I explained what's wrong with them. Still, there was a chance of me being spared of this wall of text.
My problem with them is simple, and the new mice on the Razer website which people linked here just keep on solidifying it. As second post after OP said, they are the Alienware of peripherals. They are terribly overpriced and they features are often just buzzwords so what are you paying for is mostly pretty words, logos and some cool looking LEDs.
Also my long time problem with them used to be that they used to make ergonomically good mice with rather pointlessly high DPI and sold them for 200% price. Today they seem to have jumped on MOBA/MMO bandwagon and are putting as many buttons on them as they can. Lack of extra buttons was what used to turn me off their products but all I asked for was 3 or 4 extra buttons. Now you got mice like Razer Naga with 12 extra buttons on side. Is that a joke? Since when do mice need more buttons than cellphone? And of course they had to throw the ergonomics out of window to fit there so many buttons.
Well I most likely wouldnt of quoted you if you explained your reason for it, but just saying you just dont like them will give you better chances at getting some type of quotation.

Now I do have to semi-agree about the price of most of the mice, but alot of what you listed that you wanted if actually there.

Again, the mouse I have, the Naga Hex, has six buttons on the side, in a nice little Hex shape. I didnt give the other ones a second chance because to me, 12 buttons is to much. But with the Hex, your thumb fits right in the center of them and they are quite easy to use. So 2 more buttons than the 4 you wanted, in a great design should nullify that point. For those who dont want to use those buttons though, theres the 2 on the top, right below the mouse wheel for those people. I dont even touch em.

The design of the mix, which im guessing is what your talking about with ergonomics, is very nice to. The mouse I have actual feels like it curves with my hand, making it really comfortable, and even has a design for the ring finger do lay down off the side of the mouse comfortably. On the thumb side, you can hold it comfortably without worry about the buttons to, since it feels like the buttons were also made to cradle a resting thumb.

And the LED's? Heck, I like em :p But some people dont.

So I do agree with you with the price, but they make pretty damn good mice.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Nouw said:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss gaming mice, if not for the technical specs then the wealth of extra buttons you get with most of them.
This is why I use "gaming mice". A bunch of easy-access buttons to rebind make things a lot easier, especially in the occasional mmo.

Now gaming keyboards on the other hand....

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm using a Sentinel CM Storm.

I'm afraid I have not programmed it at all for the extra buttons and I should do so! So many games need the extra buttons. It does, however, change colors! That's something! Tracks nicely. About $50.