Fellow members of the PC master race! Mice recommendations?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my Razer Naga for about 3 years, and it has never let me down. I love it.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Don't bother with anything wireless, it's a waste of time. Razer mice are extremely overpriced for what you get.
Get a Logitech mouse. Either a G400 or a G500. I have the G9x and the G5 and they've served me well all of these years. It's all down to how accurate you want the movement to be on it, how many buttons you want and how you want the scroll wheel to be like. Steelseries make nice ones too, and the R.A.T. series of mice are nice, if not a little bit pointless.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
I found the logitech g400 to be pretty good. It's only around $40 bucks. It has a very comfortable form fitting design. And its DPI can go higher than anyone could possibly need. Something ridiculous like 3600 dpi.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I'll take durability over gimmicky hardware any day of the week. Steel series, Corsair, or Gigabyte specifically.

The best mouse I ever owned was a 1st-gen Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. Pinpoint accuracy, perfectly sized for my giant claw-grip hand, and it lasted me eight years. They don't build 'em like that any more.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Assuming you haven't already decided I'd recommend the one I have, a Logitech G500. It's reasonably priced, has several programmable buttons (not too many that it feels ridiculous though) and has excellent DPI settings which can be changed on the fly, very comfortable to use aswell.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
'Gaming' mice is a redundant term, they're the Alienware of peripherals.

Any mouse with good tracking will do you just fine, like Logitech or whatever.
Heh, ironic

Speaking of which Alienware's tactX mouse is one of the finest mouses you can buy if you get it off eBay and it's mostly made by...logitech!

An Intellimouse 3.0, a g400, a g500(not perfect tracking but I'm pretty sure you're never going to notice) or a razer deathadder all do great for games.

You don't need loads of side-buttons for mmo gaming, I challenge you to show me your setups that aren't compatible with a keyboard's keyset.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
My Deathadder has been serving me well. Don't like having to use that Synapse crap or whatever it's called when I want to change the DPI, but other than that it works phenomenal for me.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Try to find somewhere that has a lot of mice available to get a feel for them. When I did that I was looking for something that was comfortable and had enough buttons to be > stock mouse. For me this ended up being the Razer Deathadder.

Gaming keyboards on the other hand can fuck right off. My IBM Model M is ~26 years old and has served me better for gaming than the Razer keyboard what broked after ~1.5 years of use.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
I have a Razer Imperator mouse and I really like it. It's fully reconfigurable, has a ton of sensitivity choices and it looks badass.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Sack of Cheese said:
Can we drop the "PC master race" thing already? This juvenile superiority complex is getting a little old.

s69-5 said:
Agreed.

And this thread clearly demonstrates the double standard that many seem to employ. So many seem to try to pass this off as a mere joke (always the goto respnse), but when you hear it the joke constantly, it starts to become a lot less funny and a lot more irritating and sinister.

I also hate that stupid pic that the PC fanboys like to post all the time showing PC Gods and console Plebs... fucking annoying.

Hey guys, it's not a gaming master race. PC gamers are not superior. If you believe that they are, you are nothing more than a mere fanboy. You know, like the pleb console fanboys that you look down down but worse since you don't even recognize it.
It's funny, it was the NON-pc gamers that started the "PC gaming master race" thing. They were the ones who incessantly attempted to "insult" us PC gamers with that phrase.

And now that we've, jokingly...sarcastically...adopted the term as an in-joke amongst ourselves, now the non-PC gamers are getting "tired" of the phrase.

The irony is just too damn delicious. Like the ambrosia of the gods. (further irony!)

Also: Double standard?

The thread's full of posts that simply recommend brands of mice; answering the OPs question.

Where in the flippin' hell are you seeing "double standards"?

I swear to God, this site is full of people just looking for something to complain about now-a-days...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anyway, on topic:

OP, go with a mouse in the $40 to $80 range. Logitech, Razer, Gigabyte, and others are all fine choices. Find one that fits your price range (aiming for the upper half of your range), that has the form, features, buttons, and responsiveness you're looking for, and most importantly one that has a decent level of tracking and DPI ranges.

My current mouse is a Logitech G500. Has been fantastic for everything I've needed it for. Even fast-response, accurate movement for games like Counter-Strike, Quake, Dota 2, etc, etc.

Oh, one last thing: Be damned sure to get a wired mouse. Skip wireless unless you absolutely, positively can not have a wire sticking out of your machine. Besides issues with batteries, etc; wireless mice are notorious for having much worse responsiveness than their wired counter-parts.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
thiosk said:
I always preferred the logitech G5
Amen that. Mine is a Logitech G500. Personally I think wireless mice are unnecessary, especially given the chance of the battery giving out mid-battle.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
Well everyone thanks for all of the great responses! This thread has been AMAZINGLY helpful! I had been using a cheapy Logitech wireless combo for years, but just recently got this awesome keyboard from Rosewill.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201054

Made me think about upgrading my mouse too.

I am going to look to see what fits my hand better.

Sack of Cheese said:
Can we drop the "PC master race" thing already? This juvenile superiority complex is getting a little old.
Absolutely not. I firmly believe that anyone who is a "PC Gamer" is clearly superior in every way to everyone else. Indisputable fact. Some day you too may become a PC Master Race and understand how much better we are than everyone.

themyrmidon

Sep 28, 2009
What I use: Razer Lachesis (old)
What I wish I got at the time: Logitech G9 (now G9x)
What I would buy now: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton

I got my Lachesis open box from Best Buy about 4 or 5 years ago. It has been good to me, I love the teflon feet and the 4000 dpi is as much as I need, and the shape is excellent. Just a few complaints: the side buttons are too difficult to use for anything of value in a fast paced game, the middle mouse button has stopped working consistently (I think it's just gunked up inside, but I'm not brave enough to open it up), and it is a little light.

What I wanted at the time was the Logitech G9. I had the chance to demo the G9 and, as good as the Lachesis feels in hand, it was the perfect mouse for my hand size and grip. There are many times I ask myself "what if".

Currently the high-end mouse climate is mostly filled with variations of a similar design, The Cooler Master Storm Sentinel. Razer, Logitech, and Corsair all have very competitive products, but if I had to choose one to buy blind it would be the Gigabyte Aivia Krypton; I have heard nothing but good things about it and it will likely be my next mouse.

All that being said a mouse purchase can be a very personal decision. If at all possible try before you buy to make sure you get the right fit for you.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I used to use an old Microsoft brand optical mouse, the thing is over 6 years old and it still works. But now I've upgraded to a Razer Naga Hex.

I set it up so that the number keys do things like open a new tab or refresh the page when using Chrome.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Sack of Cheese said:
I always thought it was inteneded as "tounge and cheek". You know, because now a fairly low end PC will outstrip a Gen 7 console eight ways of Sunday, and yet in 2006 we were being told that "the PC is dead". So I just took it as a joke.

mfeff

Nov 8, 2010
I like/use/win with this...

M$/Logitech G700 Wireless... baring this suggestion I would recommend trying a couple of different mice out to see which one is going to work the best for you. If interested just reply to me and I'll write up something or answer questions specific to the device.

A mouse could be the best thing since sliced bread and single sheet ass paper but if it doesn't work for you... may as well be an expensive paperweight.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Sack of Cheese said:
It really is.

It was funny the first time when Yahtzee used it ironically, now it's just annoying since everyone else uses it completely seriously.

4RT1LL3RY

Oct 31, 2008
I use the Logitech G400, its the closest thing to the MX518 and has a normal look to it. Its also only $35, very good for the price and very no-nonsense.

I might be weird for preferring optical mice to laser mice, but I don't use DPI settings above 1600, and use low in game sensitivity.