Female metal/rock singers

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
DugMachine said:
I don't know of many but that's because I don't seek them out. I'm not too big a fan of female singing when it comes to rock, yeah yeah yeahs are the only exception I think. Anyways, more power to them and if they wanna rock that's great but I just can't stand most female singing over rock music.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:

Yes, thats a girl.

DugMachine said:
I don't know of many but that's because I don't seek them out. I'm not too big a fan of female singing when it comes to rock, yeah yeah yeahs are the only exception I think. Anyways, more power to them and if they wanna rock that's great but I just can't stand most female singing over rock music.
If they do it properly its fine. But the typical female singer doesnt suit rock or metal.

The female voice really does suit some genres of Rock, especially the Shoegazing/Dream Pop side of things. The light vocal range style really benefits female singers in that regard.

Also, Punk to some degree too. Most of the best all-female bands are punk based. The Riot Grrrl scene being a huge feminist punk movement in the early 90's, which gave birth to bands such as Bikini Kill, L7 and Sleater-Kinney.

I do agree with you though to some extent, women with Metal (which is not Gothic) does seem kinda wrong in some respects, but there are a few rare bands that make it work like Kitty, and Halestorm.

Still I do think more female artists should branch out more like these bands, and don't stick to the tried and true female genres, like mainstream pop, R&B or soul. It's the main reason why their isn't much strong female music around, and it's becoming more about the booty and less about the music (aka the Britney Spears school of trashy throwaway shit). That's why Bands such as the incredible Warpaint for example are so precious to a guy like me. They have the looks, backed by the huge amount of talent to make their music amazing, and I find that sexy, dead sexy, even more so than any Jesse J, or Lady Gaga song would ever make me.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Well except for Paramore I can't really think of anything else than Ayreon and Avantasia, but those are mostly guest vocalists, seeing as both Ayreon and Avantasia are metal opera bands consisting of a lot of guest vocalists...
If I remembered how to embed I video I would have

MutetheDrunk

Oct 5, 2009

Gonna see Arkona and Huntress (and Turisas and Alestorm... Paganfest!!!) this Saturday :D

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Glademaster said:
I am quite surprised you could not think of at least 1. Although, funnily I can't think of another one to add the list.
Then why the surprise ....?

Abandon4093 said:
Evanescence
Oh thanks ... just as I had forgotten about them *eye twitch*

There best song is bring me to life 'cos for a brief moment in time you can believe she is going to die ...

More on topic: Who knew there are so many female singers out there? Thanks guys and gals

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
(lead vocal duties are shared between a man and a woman, but I prefer the woman - the second one there is my joint-favourite song of all time)
(song choices dependent on Katie Jane actually managing to keep her tits covered up in the video)
(the second one was the inspiration for the graphic novel series and eventual movie)

That'll do for now. Might come back with some more tomorrow if I remember.

EDIT: whoa I forgot something important:

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Damn, ninja'd on all but one (off the top of my head, that is).
Thankfully, it's the weirdest one. Yes, the band name is lacking capitalization and spaces on purpose.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
what about nightwish? or lucina coil..female vocals at least which seems to fit that "symphonic metal" genre

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Classic punk band that preceded the Riot Grrrl movement. And Poly Styrene has to be one of the best stage names ever.

Dubbed out punk, or punky dub? Sumfin like that.

And I'm done getting lost in youtube for now.

EDIT: One more.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
OptimisticPessimist said:
Here's kind of an obscure one.

I am amazed by the fact that I was actually ninjad on Hel.
I tip my hat to you, good sir.

Suppose I'll contribute by mentioning that after the breakup of Hel in 2004, three of the former members (vocalists Malin and Ulrika Petterson and guitarist and keyboardist Adde Norlin) went on to form Tales of Origin, which, unlike Hel, sings in English instead of Swedish.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
On the rock side of things I don't really know, I'm more of a metal person but...

Arch Enemy
Epica
The Agonist
Aghora
Ayreon(has plenty of female singers though no consistent male or female "leads")

And that's all I can think of of the top of my head... though I know there are more. I personally enjoy female vocals a great deal, especially when they are contrasted with heavy distortion or rough male vocals, such as in Epica.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Check out some of Ayreon's work, the albums Into the Electric Castle, The Human Equation, and 01011001 had some awesome female vocals on them, and they are all guest artists so you can follow the vocalists back to their own bands!!

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Nightwish, Epica, Otep, Halestorm, In This Moment, Unsun, The Agonist, Arch Enemy, Flyleaf.

Those are just off the top of my head. Most are metal though.