FF13-3 pretty much confirmed

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I loved 13's soundtrack, and kind of dug some of 13-2's music.

I hope that, if nothing else, 13-3 brings good music. Might not actually play it though.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I love that FF13, considered one of the weakest entries in the series, is getting 2 sequels.

it boggles the mind :D
Jury is still out on that one. I believe it is one of the best selling FF games, as well as Japanese gamers favorite. As for american gamers, honestly it would not surprise me if it was a 50/50 split. Let us be clear here, the game had flaws. And this is coming from someone who liked it.

granted, I am angry that it is getting two sequels as well. Still, I am glad that 13-2 came out for no other reason than Noel being one of the best FF characters.

Gormech

May 10, 2012
S.E. please just stop. It's the story you don't tell that lingers with us the most.

I just want to get out of the 1-step-from-gundam universe that FF has become and go back to the original FFtactics. I like having the exploration that was present in the first games, not being dragged down a linear path of grinding while having to wait for the next cutscene.

There was a time when my friends and I all watched as my moogle timemage moved in to caste stopaga, winning my team the battle but sacrificing himself due to having used up his 'move' turn during a random encounter with some antlions. That moment lingered longer than any of the scripted moments that any of the other games have built themselves around.

(disclaimer, yes I know that they probably won't read this.)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Good lord do they not know when to quit?

...These games are terrible. Weak characters, weak story, weak design choices.

I'm not saying BAD but... I'm bothered that something like that is being fed money.
Stop it Square Enix. Stop it.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Dr. Cakey said:
The only FF games to receive sequels are the ones that have the most absolutely closed endings and therefore can't have sequels.
Well FF7 ended with the end of the world, if they can retcon that they can retcon anything.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Simonoly said:
Sigh. I used to be such a huge fan of the FF series. But I just don't get the appeal anymore.

I'd love to see a FF game where I didn't have to play with a group of grumpy, annoying, floppy-haired teenagers (enter FFIX). Maybe we could have a main protagonist who's a skin-head in his mid 30s who can turn into a dragon and his main weapon is a Scythe or something. Whoops, I'm being too original. Somebody get me a job at SE.
Ever heard the phrase "There's nothing new under the sun?"

You actually managed to loosely describe a JRPG Sony made for the PS1(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Dragoon). It's not really an exact fit, but I don't think you would meet your own criteria for originality in comparison to it.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Pearwood said:
Dr. Cakey said:
The only FF games to receive sequels are the ones that have the most absolutely closed endings and therefore can't have sequels.
Well FF7 ended with the end of the world, if they can retcon that they can retcon anything.
If you consider 'Meteor being conveniently stopped by the Lifestream, thus causing no casualties nor damage whatsoever' to be the end of the world, then yes, that is how FF7 ended.

Oh that and five-hundred years later LIONS RULE THE EARTH.

HHammond

Jun 28, 2011
Not sure if I'm excited. I like XIII but wasn't too fond of XIII-2. As long as it focuses more on Lightning and her friends, stops all the time travel and maybe keeps some of the openness of XIII-2 then I'm game. Sign up as cautiously optimistic.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Well, they wasted all that time and effort making that worthless "Crystal Engine", so they might as well milk it for what its worth. Think about it, they can re-hash their engine and tons of character models. Pure profit.

You know, kind of like CoD, sports games and Pokémon.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I love that FF13, considered one of the weakest entries in the series, is getting 2 sequels.

it boggles the mind :D
Considering how much money they spent in creating the engine and the assets, I think it means SE are getting their heads out of their rears... at least commercially speaking.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
Well, they wasted all that time and effort making that worthless "Crystal Engine", so they might as well milk it for what its worth. Think about it, they can re-hash their engine and tons of character models. Pure profit.

Thing is, that engine's actually pretty decent.

I mean FF13, for all its faults, IS a very pretty game at least.

Let's not toss out the baby with the bathwater.

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
Wow so not only has SquareEnix killed the Final Fantasy franchise, but now they are raping its dead corpse. Square must really want to destroy their company investing their resources into bad games. I will return to the Final Fantasy series only if it starts appealing to the now adult audience that grew up with the series. I also liked it when they didn't just churn out sequels constantly.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Every time people start ragging on XIII and XIII-2, I get very defensive about them and I don't know why. I only moderately enjoyed XIII but I quite enjoyed XIII-2. They were decent enough to keep me playing (if not very immersed.)

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010

No really...

WTF?

I wish to point out I loved FF. I played every since Final Fantasy Squaresoft/enix released. Even Kingdom Hearts. Loved every single one. (Yes even FF VIII)

FF 13 was a complete load of horse manure. It was so bad I tasted it in my mouth. I spent a good 5-6 hours (not exaggerating) in the game and it felt like a freaking tutorial on how to play the game. Seriously? I got to the second CD I think and it was STILL giving me tutorials.

So why the heck is this PoS getting sequels? What happened to my Final Fantasy franchise? What happened to the SS/E that I fell in love with?

(Sad face)

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
DracoSuave said:
Arqus_Zed said:

You can say that about any current gen engine.

Any contemporary engine, or even a basic current generation DirectX framework can be programmed to support gloss maps, normal maps, etc. Past Final Fantasy titles pretty much had their framework/engine built up from scratch, but now that processors allow normal mapping and more advanced lighting effects, a lot more time gets into creating the basis for rendering visual information.

Graphics programming is a lot of work, yes, but most games use more or less the same core mechanic. That's why a lot of companies use a third party engine, just to have a tool that instantly renders your meshes into an interactive environment, complete with maps and animations.

However, this does nothing for gameplay or story. Why do you think it's so hard to create a game other than an action or shooter game with the Unreal engine? Except for the graphics rendering, there just isn't a lot of interesting stuff to work with if you're exploring other genres. That's why the guys who made AION actually created "CryEngine v1.5". The original CryEngine they used had to be modified so extensively to be useful in an MMO environment, they pretty much created an entirely new engine on top of the old one. And let's not forget the trouble Square Enix had making The Last Remnant with the Unreal Engine.

So, what I'm getting at is that the Crystal Engine can render nice images, but that's nothing new in this day and age. I'd have to get my hands on the thing myself to be sure, but I can't imagine they spent a lot of time on making combat and stat accrual mechanics (and it's not like they had to implement an extensive physics system). Why else would the Crystarium system (though pretty) be a step back from both the sphere grid and the license board? Why would the combat be so unstable that they actually have to allow a "retry" function before every battle you do?

The reason FF XIII and FF XIII-2 played almost exactly the same, yet FF X and FF X-2 had wildly different combat and stat accrual systems? My guess, it's baked into the engine and they don't want to spend time and effort to do something new. God knows if the engine was actually written in such a way that it would allow to add new mechanics without too much trouble.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
DracoSuave said:
Arqus_Zed said:

You can say that about any current gen engine.

Any contemporary engine, or even a basic current generation DirectX framework can be programmed to support gloss maps, normal maps, etc. Past Final Fantasy titles pretty much had their framework/engine built up from scratch, but now that processors allow normal mapping and more advanced lighting effects, a lot more time gets into creating the basis for rendering visual information.

Graphics programming is a lot of work, yes, but most games use more or less the same core mechanic. That's why a lot of companies use a third party engine, just to have a tool that instantly renders your meshes into an interactive environment, complete with maps and animations.
Right, but when you HAVE a good graphical backbone, why throw it out? Actually not good. Great. The graphics engine SE used was a great graphics engine... considerably more polish than the vast majority of engines out there. It does what it does well, and it's rare to hear of the sorts of bugs that are common and expected in many other commercial engines.

However, this does nothing for gameplay or story. Why do you think it's so hard to create a game other than an action or shooter game with the Unreal engine? Except for the graphics rendering, there just isn't a lot of interesting stuff to work with if you're exploring other genres. That's why the guys who made AION actually created "CryEngine v1.5". The original CryEngine they used had to be modified so extensively to be useful in an MMO environment, they pretty much created an entirely new engine on top of the old one. And let's not forget the trouble Square Enix had making The Last Remnant with the Unreal Engine.

So, what I'm getting at is that the Crystal Engine can render nice images, but that's nothing new in this day and age. I'd have to get my hands on the thing myself to be sure, but I can't imagine they spent a lot of time on making combat and stat accrual mechanics (and it's not like they had to implement an extensive physics system). Why else would the Crystarium system (though pretty) be a step back from both the sphere grid and the license board? Why would the combat be so unstable that they actually have to allow a "retry" function before every battle you do?

The reason FF XIII and FF XIII-2 played almost exactly the same, yet FF X and FF X-2 had wildly different combat and stat accrual systems? My guess, it's baked into the engine and they don't want to spend time and effort to do something new. God knows if the engine was actually written in such a way that it would allow to add new mechanics without too much trouble.
But the rest of this doesn't make sense. Yes, FF13's game mechanics are meh. So what? Your solution then is... because they invested so much time and money in making a good game engine that it took away from other aspects of development, that they should throw out the VERY useable product of that time and money, and reinvest MORE money into it that could be used towards other aspects of development?

They need to go back and look at what made their most successful games work, and start trying to return to their roots. But at least they tried something new with the battle system. It's when the Final Fantasy teams STOP trying to innovate new game mechanics that you need to call for heads.