FF13 Producer Explains Why FF7 Remake is Unlikely

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
How can graphics be a limitation? FFXII was pretty conservative with its towns. Couldn't they decide not to have over-the-top graphics?

Jan 23, 2009
Some day. It will happen. I don't think it should even be completely faithful, as long as they story doesn't get messed around. As for the argument that it wont sell because people already own it, doesn't hold up.

The game is over a decade old. There is a whole new generation of gamers who only heard about FF7 retroactively.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Dark Templar said:
Graphical problems what?

Do the tech demo and Advent Children not count or something?
No, because it was a demo, and that was a movie.

They said it'd take such a long time, and too much resources to make a whole game like that. Also, a movie takes a far shorter time to animate than a game.

And I'm definitely one of the people who'd love it. I also agree with BlueHighwind, why not just do it with PS2 graphics?
If I ever grow up to be a millionaire, I will pay them to do it.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
John Funk said:
Either way, it would be nice if someone made a magical device that tracked down anyone in the world who asked or otherwise whined about a Final Fantasy VII remake and kicked them in the groin. Enough is enough already: Can we please stop talking about it now?
I have never agreed with anything you've written more than this paragraph. Groin kicking: Because asking nicely isn't anywhere near as funny.

Charlie_Brown

Jan 16, 2009
John Funk said:
Kitase: "It is very hard to make games on PlayStation 3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time."
Read: Cloud crossdresses in this game. Are you sure you want to see that in HD?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style."

DO NOT LET GRAPHICS DICTATE THE GAME, LET GAMEPLAY DICTACTE GRAPHICS!!!
Yeah, I really needed to yell that. Trust me...

I don't care if the town has a billion polygons and is HR-HD awesome looking.
If the game benefits from towns then make towns with millions of polygons instead, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, millions of people today play games from the NES and SNES era. Playstation 1 titles like FF7 and MGS are still awesome dispite looking like "poo" from a HD graphics perspective.

Don't gamestudios know those things or what? :O

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
I find it ironic how you ask for remake to stop being talked about, yet almost every week i've seen a new redundant article about it
Also, stop insulting your readers, not everyone who wants to see that game again is a fanboy (true story)

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
While I always secretly wished for a remake I never whined about it and never expected it to happen. I was extremely happy when they made it available for download on PSN though.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Epitome said:
Slycne said:
They just don't want to piss everyone off by telling them the game won't sell as well as they would like. Yes, Final Fantasy VII was widely popular, but there in is the problem. Your core demographic already owns it. Granted you will get some repeat purchasers, but cutting out a percentage of your previous purchasing demographic is not a great way to start a release.
Some repeat purchasers? I loved FF7 the best of the series and worthy of most of the praise it recieved. But now when I would try and play it its dated everything gets to me, Aeris death was one of the most moving of all time, but watch that same scene a decade on I just keep thinking of how she looks nothing like say Advent childrens Aeris which I thought was a very good design. I would by a PS3 if they announced the full remake on this to experience the same game I did then without be dogged by modern expectations.
I hate the internet sometimes- I can't read the phrase "of all time" now without thinking of that weird guy at that award ceremony.
With FF7, it had a lot of very strong points and good gameplay, but I don't see it as really that great. Well, actually, I do think it diserves a good bit of the praise it gets, but when one considers all its shortcomings, I don't see it as that far above other Final Fantasy games. I mean, I found the world and comedic moments in FF8 to be more interesting, and social dynamics of FF9 captured my attention and whimsy more than 7. I guess I don't understand what people see in it that makes it superior to its like-numbered relatives, which are all quality games.

Also, considering how they've just released a ff5 remake for handhelds, who wants to bet that we're not going to get a FF7 mini in a few years, instead?

tsu-money

Jul 27, 2009
Izerous said:
While I always secretly wished for a remake I never whined about it and never expected it to happen. I was extremely happy when they made it available for download on PSN though.
Very true. I'm glad that Square-Enix has decided to focus on new projects.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
"Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style."

If the game benefits from towns then make towns with millions of polygons instead, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, millions of people today play games from the NES and SNES era. Playstation 1 titles like FF7 and MGS are still awesome dispite looking like "poo" from a HD graphics perspective.

You seem to be under the false assumption that game studios know anything about gaming. I'm amazed that most game devs can manage to get their pants on correctly.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
What we really need is a FFVIII remake so that I can see (renamed renoa) use (renamed angelo) cannon in HD.

(Hey, a spoony reference xD) Hur hur hur.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:

If they aren't going t omake it look as good as humanly possible what is the point? You want gameplay? Go play the original on the PSN.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Today's games tend to be much shorter because of the cost to make these graphics, so i can see how making a huge game like FFVII with top notch graphics can cost so much that they are unsure to sell enough to pay for the development cost.

Doing it is feasible. Doing it with a reasonable budget, maybe not so.

robrob

Oct 21, 2009
squid5580 said:
If they aren't going t omake it look as good as humanly possible what is the point? You want gameplay? Go play the original on the PSN.
Exactly, Square aren't stupid enough just to remake the game because they can. And Final Fantasy is known for it's mind blowing shininess. If it's not, it'll be a game picked up by a handful of hardcore fans (namely, the ones who are whining here about making any sacrifice to get the game made), but it won't appeal to your average gamer at all. Square only really gets one shot at remaking this game, why would they blow it because it's too difficult to get right at the moment but that might change in the future? In the meantime, they can make a trillion sequels to FF.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Because they totally can't make episodes of it and charge a new game's price apiece for them.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
To see one of the greatest fantasy stories ever told in modern graphics? It would take a lot of work, but it would gain a lot of money and respect for Square Enix. Sorry, but they really should do it.

Nazrel

May 16, 2008
John Funk said:
"[A non-stop story] is one of the reasons, but more importantly, it is a result of considering HD graphics will be the mainstream. Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style."
It's hilarious how the more "advanced" things become, the less they can actually do.
By that I mean I'm crying on the inside.

That said, really don't care if they make a remake of 7.