Fictional characters you dislike that others like.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Korra. Started off headstrong and brash and full of potential and finished it as a weak little girl pining after some personality-free firebender.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Saber.

I've specifically avoided any contact with Fate/anything because of Saber. As far as I can tell from how she's generally portrayed in the rather copious fanworks, she's got the depth of a cardboard cutout, but that doesn't matter to anyone because OMG SO BADASSSSSSS (see also perhaps Erza Scarlet.)

About the only character I hate more than Saber is Asuka. It's not that she doesn't have a personality - she's a complete and utter ***** and people adore her for it, and that I simply do not get.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Mako; from the legend of Korra

This guy is a douche and yet somehow has 2 attractive woman after him, one being the Avatar the other a girl from an incredibly wealthy family. The entire finale I was waiting for both Korra and Asami to ditch him and go for lesbians.

Fuhrlock

Apr 1, 2012
I think I probably will find an example of this for me in any piece of fiction I read/watch/play. Guess I'll throw out the two that normally get the most disagreement Tali and Kreia. I don't find either's character very appealing and I just can't seem to get interested in them, which is annoying when the game keeps trying ridiculously hard to try to get me to care (which just became annoying).

Infact that probably where I not caring about a character turns to dislike alot of the time for me, when the plot tries to hard but fails to emphasise characteristics that you might actually find appealing

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Kratos. Admittedly, a more popular option as far as these kinds of topics go, but I just cannot connect with this guy is any of the games. No matter how many people someone kills and how many of those are your family, one does not simply brutally murder every f***ing human they come across. I mean, King Minos. Poor bastard can't stop turning things into gold, is practically having a breakdown and is then TERRIFIED of Kratos, turns out to be for good reason because Kratos dismembers him and throws him in a lava flow. I mean hey, that's one way to make a lava flow traversable, and to be fair probably the quickest around, but he didn't even need the whole guy. I like characters out for revenge, but Kratos is a raging dick well beyond what he has any justification for.

And Duke Nukem, for very painfully obvious reasons. Just the unironic pretencious arrogant f*** yeah, all of that...just a poor, shallow and distasteful character. If it were ironic, that'd be different. But he is absolutely played straight as if people are meant to just go along with it.

ODWX9K said:
Superman, Batman, Professor X, etc.

I don't really like what I perceive as "lawful ", but especially goes for those whom are lawfully-good like the above. They always remind me of the kind of people that think everyone should be punished for doing something evil even if there is no real victim.
...does the entire world, or all non-mutants, not count as victims?

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
Rachel Green.
(sit-com fans start your engines)
To save myself from a rant 'n' rave I'll simply say even at her simplest character interactions she remains one of the most hypocritical and selfish characters a show has ever had the gall to give the moral high ground to on almost every occasion.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Not really. Well, there's the entire cast of Soul Eater, who range from "annoying" to " I just don't give a fuck about them".

Other than that, not much. If this was a thread about characters I like that people hate, I can come up with a few.

thewaever

Mar 4, 2010
I can't stand Ted from How I met Your Mother.

Seriously, the guy is the poster boy for "Pompous Douche."

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
BaronUberstein said:
The characters from Family guy. They're all shallow, hypocritical, disgusting people. I don't identify with any of them, and I stopped watching the show because I simply came to hate everyone in the show.

I'm recall multiple episodes where the message seemed to be, "Sure everyone hates you, but it's your JOB to be hated so THEY feel better about themselves!"

No. That is a terrible message. A terrible message told by terrible characters.
Agreed, there's just no one likeable on the show anymore!

Also, I don't get why so many people like Sosuke Aizen from Bleach. He's a smug, over-powered jackass who won't just fucking die already!

Oh, and all the characters from Twilight. 'Nuff said.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
House from the show of the same name.

I can accept the rudeness, his "genius" and his misanthropy.

I despise the fact that he is everything he constantly criticises other people for being, and that not only makes him those things, it makes him a hypocrite as well.

What winds me up the most about it is that in the show the other characters still for some unfathomable reason want to be near him. There are people who take the job to work with him, just for that privilege. Despite the fact they get treated like work animals and are basically glorified nurses in that they do the legwork while he does the actual diagnostics.

Scratch that, I dislike the entire cast of House. They are all too stupid to be in such an important line of work.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Gwen Cooper from Torchwood, her whiny, self-righteous ass should have died instead of every other member of that organisation.

bluegh.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010

I really don't understand why people love Squall he has to be one of the biggest asshole's in the Final Fantasy world. But people think he is so awesome I just don't get it!

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Sephiroth has nonsensical motivations and next to no personality, and is nowhere near as badass as everyone claims.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
thewaever said:
I can't stand Ted from How I met Your Mother.

Seriously, the guy is the poster buy for "Pompous Douche."
Yep. He's an annoying whiny dick.
This picture makes a lot of sense.

But I don't think anyone likes Ted.

ODWX9K

Oct 29, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
ODWX9K said:
Superman, Batman, Professor X, etc.

I don't really like what I perceive as "lawful ", but especially goes for those whom are lawfully-good like the above. They always remind me of the kind of people that think everyone should be punished for doing something evil even if there is no real victim.
...does the entire world, or all non-mutants, not count as victims?
No. Why would anyone count as a victim except one that has been victimized?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Nooners said:
Garfield.

I hate that cat so much. ALL OF MY HATE. When I get around to him on my review show (which you can watch here, new episodes every Friday, sorry for shameless self-promotion), blood. Will. Be. Shed.

And I will revel in it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ComicStripCritic?feature=g-u-u

(yes, I'm aware you mean the cartoon one [unless you mean the President one], but I couldn't help but show off my kitty.)

For me, it's Katniss Everdeen. She's just not likeable.
She gets pretty much everyone killed in the end (in some horrible ways I might add), all because she wanted to go kill one guy, which she doesn't even do.
Not to mention she just acts like a ***** to everyone, and is sort of hissy fit prone.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
captain jack sparrow from pirates of the Caribbean, hes just a massive dick, who cause all the problems in teh plot and we are just expected to like and root for him, i just hate him, the fact he got his own move bogels my mind

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
My answer for these threads never changes
Miranda Lawson
Ashley Williams
From the Mass Effect games, they're just all around bad people who lots of people seem to like for what ever crazy reason they do...

I also hate Dom from Gears of War because he MURDERED HIS WIFE! And that's just not cool.

There are lots of characters that lots of people love that I qualify as "non entities" you know, blandly written, poorly acted, personality deficient characters who people love just because they're waring mark 5 armor (You see what I did there) who I can't hate because there's nothing there to hate. So I just end up hating there fans, so I don't think it counts.

Also any potential love interest who is actively mean to you, hence Miranda Lawson. There's a word for this that starts with a T that I don't remember, but it just sucks.