Fiery Uncharted 3 Gameplay Demoed on Late Night TV

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Fiery Uncharted 3 Gameplay Demoed on Late Night TV

The first fullscreen gameplay footage of Uncharted 3 debuted on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

Jimmy Fallon's videogame fandom has been well documented, which means he's been one of the first in the world to see certain games and hardware Uncharted 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101705-Reggie-Fils-Aime-Leaks-3DS-Release-Date] before anyone else outside of developer Naughty Dog.

Fallon had Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells & Christophe Balestra on the show, and after making fun of Balestra's accent they moved right into the worldwide debut of Uncharted 3 gameplay. Sure, in-game footage was technically included in Uncharted 3's first trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106056-Naughty-Dog-Puts-Uncharted-3-in-Motion-at-VGAs] at the Spike VGAs, but it was incredibly brief.

Now, we have a first look at what we'll see when actually playing Uncharted 3 ourselves, with Wells and Balestra demonstrating one of the game's areas where Nathan Drake and partner Sully are escaping from a burning mansion. Not only do they have to contend with the fire, but guys with guns too. Yep, it's Uncharted [http://www.amazon.com/Uncharted-Drakes-Fortune-Playstation-3/dp/B000UW21A0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292342228&sr=8-3] all right.

The demo shows Drake and Sully trying to find an exit while taking out armed bad guys, primarily with melee kills. Naughty Dog might not have wanted to put too much blood on TV. When the controller is handed off to Fallon, he nearly falls into a pit of flame, and his demo ends just before he can shoot a guy in the head from point blank range.

Balestra revealed that Naughty Dog has been working on Uncharted 3 for about a year, and it was finally time to show it off. It's hard to get an idea of the game's visuals through an internet video, but it looks like Uncharted 3 will be another impressive entry in the series. Fallon called it "phenomenal" looking after also saying that Uncharted is one of the "greatest videogame franchises ever."

The footage of Fallon playing can be viewed here [http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/12/uncharted-3-world-premiere-demo/].

Source: Late Night Blog [http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/blogs/2010/12/uncharted-3-world-premiere-demo/]

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I'm not a fan of uncharted 3 (haven't played them, might buy them on boxing day) but when I learn someone out in the world gets to play a video game before I or anyone else I can't help but shout...

Son of a *****!

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
icyneesan said:
I'm not a fan of uncharted 3 (haven't played them, might buy them on boxing day) but when I learn someone out in the world gets to play a video game before I or anyone else I can't help but shout...

Son of a *****!
You said it! Damn!
I'm gonna sound like a fan boy for saying it but HOLT SHIT DOES THIS LOOK AWESOME! OK remember how I said before that the Train level may be tough the beat? Forget that! That looks amazing!!

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
"Greatest videogame franchise ever?" I'm sorry, but that's a rather opinionated statement, Mr. TV show host. Greatest action-adventure franchise, maybe - although Sands of Time might make a strong case for Prince of Persia - but getting a single franchise consisting of two games in one genre declared the "greatest ever" - even among fanboys of that franchise - is a bit of a stretch.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
omicron1 said:
"Greatest videogame franchise ever?" I'm sorry, but that's a rather opinionated statement, Mr. TV show host. Greatest action-adventure franchise, maybe - although Sands of Time might make a strong case for Prince of Persia - but getting a single franchise consisting of two games in one genre declared the "greatest ever" - even among fanboys of that franchise - is a bit of a stretch.
I think he's trying to make up for his lack of humour by making these big claims...or maybe that is his sense of humour, who knows?

Don't take it seriously, he just hyping, yo.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
omicron1 said:
He said the same words about Gears of War 3 AND Call of Duty: Black Ops. Apparently everything is the greatest videogame franchise ever.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
He really sucks at playing that. Game looks nice though, but I'm not gunna think about buying it until is see a couple of reviews.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Well, that looked great, I love watching gameplay. Man oh man do I ever want that game to be good. Hell, I just want the game.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
omicron1 said:
"one of the"

Besides, it's his opinion, he could say Two Worlds was the greatest ever and he would still be in his right to.

Everyone knows AC is the greatest franchise ever anyway.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
The gameplay actually lowered my hype. Probably because he played it so awful. I perfer my gameplay trailers to be played by people who've played the game before.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Belladonnah said:
omicron1 said:
"one of the"

Besides, it's his opinion, he could say Two Worlds was the greatest ever and he would still be in his right to.

Everyone knows AC is the greatest franchise ever anyway.
What he said was, roughly, "generally regarded as the greatest video game franchise ever." Not, "in his opinion," but "in the opinion of the public. So, being your typical Angry Internet Man, I'm calling him out on his meritless public-television statement.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Looks great, though I did detect some slight control issues with aiming the weapon, that'll be fixed before release I'm sure.

But anyway, WOO! UNCHARTED 3! Looks awesome, can't wait.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Jumplion said:
Looks great, though I did detect some slight control issues with aiming the weapon, that'll be fixed before release I'm sure.

But anyway, WOO! UNCHARTED 3! Looks awesome, can't wait.
I'm sure it'll be fixed when they put the controller in the hands of someone other than Jimmy Fallon.

OT: Drool. That is all. For now.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
I'm inclined to agree Uncharted is on the verge of G.O.A.T. Number one was solid, established the world and the characters. Two was fudging amazing. Cinematic set pieces, enjoyable gameplay, good characters. I couldn't put it down. It was the fastest I have ever completed a game, ever.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Considering how good the last two games were and how good this one appears to be, it looks like I'm going to be pre-ordering this.

Richioso

Sep 22, 2010
I'm definately getting this although the greatest game ever thing is obviously for the benefit of the guests, anyone who's seen "inside the actors studio" with james lipton will know what I'm talking about.

In my opinion it has to be up there with this generations best, hell, even people watching you play this can enjoy it.