FIFA 14 For 3DS Is Literally Just FIFA 13 With Roster Updates

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
FIFA 14 For 3DS Is Literally Just FIFA 13 With Roster Updates

FIFA 14's official product page admits "no updates to gameplay or game modes" from its predecessor.

We all joke about how the yearly installments of EA's sports titles are virtually the same game, but in the case of the 3DS version of FIFA 14... that's actually pretty much the case. In the latest update to the Nintendo eShop, a product description for FIFA 14 Legacy Edition appeared, which states that while the game has been updated with the latest rosters and kits of this year's soccer season, it doesn't actually offer any updates to gameplay or game modes.

"FIFA 14 Legacy Edition delivers unmatched authenticity that reflects the current football season with updated kits and rosters but no updates to gameplay or game modes."

So, what would you expect to pay for what is essentially a DLC pack that changes some players around? $5? Maybe $10 if you're a real die-hard soccer fan? Certainly not the $39.99 that EA are asking for FIFA 14 Legacy Edition.

"It features 30 officially licensed leagues, 50 real-world tournaments, and 500 authentic clubs. Play traditional matches or free your game in epic 5-v-5 street matches with 3D effects. Play as a real-world superstar or re-create yourself. Optional touch screen controls deliver pin-point shooting and passing at your finger-tips," the product description continues.

This isn't the first time EA has been accused of being lazy with its sports games, as it was previously revealed that the PS Vita version of FIFA 14 would also be the exact same game with roster updates [http://www.videogamer.com/psvita/fifa_14/news/fifa_14_on_ps_vita_is_the_same_as_previous_games_but_with_updated_teams.html].

Are you a dedicated enough FIFA fan to buy the same game twice, just to be fully "up-to-date" with the latest rosters?

Source: Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/3ds/fifa_14/news/fifa_14_3ds_contains_no_updates_to_gameplay_or_game_modes_ea_admits.html]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I'd love for them to sell the physical copies so brazenly as to actually use Fifa 13 cases with a "14" sticker slapped on top of the title.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I understand how ridiculously lazy this is, but will anyone who doesn't own any of the console versions but owns a 3DS, really care?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Well, at least it's DLC. Not like the Vita's latest Fifa which you're paying full retail for pretty much last year's game with different kits and names.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Isn't this how pretty much every sports game on the market works? Rehashing worse than Call of Duty does?

People will pay good money for 3DS versions of *good* games (see: Ocarina of Time, Starfox), but this is just ridiculous.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
That unprecedented partnership. GG EA...

And they've done this before. I believe it was FIFA 13 on Wii which turned out to literally by a roster update of FIFA 12, and nothing more. Utterly shameful then, even moreso that they're still doing it.
They've been doing it for the PS2 versions for ages now. Hell, this game is gonna be on the PS2, and it'll be the last new PS2 game to be made. PS2 had a damn good run, but it's era it seems will close on a lazy port. :p

OT: Is anyone honestly surprised about this at all really? All the FIFA games are pretty much the same game with a different roster, he'll that pretty much describes most sports games in general.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Didn't this happen before already? Didn't EA do the same thing with the same game?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
They pull this crap, but then they complain that EA games don't sell as well on Nintendo consoles... Go figure.

P.S. Thanks

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
To play devils advocate for a minute, they do always (until now obviously) make small changes to the graphics and the models and the animations and the sounds which is obviously enough for a lot of people to keep buying Fifa every year.

Personally I stopped caring after Fifa 08.

Obviously they've just hit a wall this year with little things they can upgrade. My guess is the engine needs an overhaul which they started working on months ago. Next years one will have a lot of changes.

I know most people here don't care about Fifa, sports games or EA, but if you don't; what the hell are you doing in this thread?

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Terramax said:
Well, at least it's DLC. Not like the Vita's latest Fifa which you're paying full retail for pretty much last year's game with different kits and names.
I think you misread something there friend.

"FIFA 14 Legacy Edition delivers unmatched authenticity that reflects the current football season with updated kits and rosters but no updates to gameplay or game modes."
It's the same game with no updates, save for rosters and kits. While it's technically DLC, it's still being sold for full retail price. I think. I don't have a 3DS, so I don't know what the games cost, but this is $39.99. If that's not full game price, I'm sure it comes close.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
ChildofGallifrey said:
Terramax said:
I think you misread something there friend.

It's the same game with no updates, save for rosters and kits. While it's technically DLC, it's still being sold for full retail price. I think. I don't have a 3DS, so I don't know what the games cost, but this is $39.99. If that's not full game price, I'm sure it comes close.
Well, in other words, they're pulling off the same shenanigans that they pulled with the Vita version of 2012 and 2013.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
And this game will STILL sell most copies than a bunch of other games this year.

There is no justice in this world.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Isn't FIFA the same game every year? I used to play it 10 years ago at a friend's place, and was surprised to find that having not played any installments until FIFA 13, it looked and played almost exactly the same. It still looks and feels nothing like a real game of football.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
I understand how ridiculously lazy this is, but will anyone who doesn't own any of the console versions but owns a 3DS, really care?
Yeah, this was the first thing that came to mind.

Of course, not that anyone else around here will stop to think about that before bashing on EA, sports games, or both, but whatever.

But seriously, who's going to be buying FIFA on the 3DS anyway? I feel like at this point the handheld versions of these games only continue being made for the sake of tradition because they're historically ported to as many systems as physically possible.