FIFA 14 For 3DS Is Literally Just FIFA 13 With Roster Updates

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Isn't FIFA the same game every year? I used to play it 10 years ago at a friend's place, and was surprised to find that having not played any installments until FIFA 13, it looked and played almost exactly the same. It still looks and feels nothing like a real game of football.
No offense mate but if you're serious you need to get your eyes checked.
Go back and play Fifa 2003, then come back and say that. I bet you haven't.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I'm all for knocking on EA's sports titles but...

Steven Bogos said:
Are you a dedicated enough FIFA fan to buy the same game twice, just to be fully "up-to-date" with the latest rosters?
Why are you making the assumption that players who would buy FIFA 14 for 3DS are already owners of FIFA 13? Not so much the assumption actually, but the fact the article treats that as a rock solid fact.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Vrach said:
Why are you making the assumption that players who would buy FIFA 14 for 3DS are already owners of FIFA 13? Not so much the assumption actually, but the fact the article treats that as a rock solid fact.
A savvy gamer who doesn't own a FIFA on the 3DS but wants to, would presumably just buy 13 since when 14 comes out the price of 13 will drop like a stone as used copies of the "obsolete" game flood the market.

I can honestly say that the 1 pound I paid for FIFA 09 last year (on XBox) was some of the best value for money I've had this generation.

I guess a lot of casual gamers read the Xbox/PS3 reviews each year (which do try to make at least some visable improvements) and assume that the 3DS version is bascially the same. Obviously the fact that this was big news on all the gaming websites last year wasn't enough to shame EA into stopping the practice.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
And this is why I don't touch sports games, not because I dislike them but because of the minor updates to the game. You could easily just make roster DLC for that instead.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I mean...it's FIFA people.
Did we expect anything better than this?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
LaoJim said:
Vrach said:
A savvy gamer who doesn't own a FIFA on the 3DS but wants to, would presumably just buy 13 since when 14 comes out the price of 13 will drop like a stone as used copies of the "obsolete" game flood the market.

I can honestly say that the 1 pound I paid for FIFA 09 last year (on XBox) was some of the best value for money I've had this generation.

I guess a lot of casual gamers read the Xbox/PS3 reviews each year (which do try to make at least some visable improvements) and assume that the 3DS version is bascially the same. Obviously the fact that this was big news on all the gaming websites last year wasn't enough to shame EA into stopping the practice.
I apologise, I'm an idiot. For some reason, I thought FIFA 13 wasn't even on the 3DS. Actually the reason is that I'm new to 3DS and after buying Mario Kart 7 recently, I was surprised it wasn't a console release, so that thought kinda stuck with me when I was reading this article :p

But yeah, as I said before, I do find the sport games releases to be mostly ridiculous, changing next to nothing and charging a full price every year.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
Vrach said:
I apologise, I'm an idiot. For some reason, I thought FIFA 13 wasn't even on the 3DS. Actually the reason is that I'm new to 3DS and after buying Mario Kart 7 recently, I was surprised it wasn't a console release, so that thought kinda stuck with me when I was reading this article :p

But yeah, as I said before, I do find the sport games releases to be mostly ridiculous, changing next to nothing and charging a full price every year.
The thing is lots of sports fans really do care that they are playing with the latest team line-ups and strips and are willing to pay the money for the new version. It seems wrong to many of us because we are aware at how little work is required to change the configuration files to make these changes, and how easy it would be to do this as a digital download at the start of each season. Since console have become connected to the internet EA has been making a big thing of how their sports games can reflect what has been going on in the real world leagues on a weekly basis without drawing attention to the business-ruining logical leap that they could easily also apply to the start of each season as well.

I do enjoy the odd sports title from time to time, and there is not point in getting angry about it as long as EA is doing at least something to improve the game each year. (Releasing the same game at full price is clearly not on though.
) Picking up a cheap FIFA title every three or four years is fine for me. I actually found that FIFA Street was a lot more of an interesting title, there is only so much that EA can do with the basic game of professional football, whereas Street was allowed to have a much greater variety of game rules, interesting pitches and generally more like a video game. But again, since they want to maximize profits, it a shame that EA releases it as a seperate title rather than an extra game mode to the main FIFA (like with CoD Zombies) as something genuinely new to give players each year.