Fifth Expansion Brings Monotheism to Crusader Kings II

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Fifth Expansion Brings Monotheism to Crusader Kings II

Christianity, Judaism and Islam get new religious events and more political intrigue in Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham.

Having the clergy on your side is useful for any hopeful medieval ruler. Just ask King Henry VIII about the troubles a disapproving Pope can bring you. Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham, the fifth expansion for the strategy title, adds Judaism and expanded features to Christianity and Islam. Your ruler can go on pilgrimages to holy places, send courtiers off to monasteries when they become troublesome, and court favors from the Pope. As a Jewish lord, you can rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem and recreate the Kingdom of Israel. The ability to pick between the rationalist Mutazili or an opposing Ashari has been added for Islamic lords.

A developer diary [http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?730289-Crusader-Kings-II-Sons-of-Abraham-Dev-Diary-1-The-College-of-Cardinals] from project lead Henrik Fåhraeus began today with details on how the College of Cardinals will operate in the game. Christians lords can gain influence over the Catholic Church by getting a loyal bishop appointed Cardinal. Cardinals are chosen by the Pope, and when the time comes to elect a new Pope the cardinals elect one from among their number (just nine in Crusader Kings II, for simplicity). If you manage to get your man the coveted fancy hat and robes, he will be able to grant your requests. Fåhraeus writes, "Want to get divorced? No problem. Want to invade someone? Ok. To make this even more useful, we've given the Pope some new powers as well: he can give you money, plain and simple." Information about holy orders, heresy, and other new features of the expansion will be discussed in future developer diaries.

Developed by Paradox Development Studio, strategy RPG Crusader Kings II was released in February 2012 and simulates a medieval dynasty. Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham launches for PC and Mac by digital download on November 18, with a suggested retail price of $9.99 USD.

Source: Paradox Interactive. [http://www.paradoxplaza.com/press/2013/10/praise-be-to-the-divine-crusader-kings-ii-sons-of-abraham-announced]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
YAY JUDAISM! I myself am not Jewish, but I've always wanted to play one of these types of games (Realistic Grand Strategy game) where I could play as a Jewish nation, but I haven't found any (On Steam, at least).

I might just have to get Crusader Kings 2 and this expansion, even though I'm not sure I would like a game that focuses more on Lineage then World Conquest and prestige.

Oh well!

Nightvalien

Oct 18, 2010
Commander Obvious said:
I've fantasized sacrificing my son to the voice in my head for so many years. Now finally, I can play the game!
Well you know you won't really have to kill him, the voice just want to see what you will do, you know for shit and giggles.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I've wanted to get into this series, but I can't see myself playing it more than Civ5 or GalCiv2:EU.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Was hoping they would add this type of thing to EUIV rather than updating what is essentially the prequel. Oh well, Crusader Kings II has been a crazy success, I just can't see myself getting this DLC for it though since if I'm gonna play I'll be playing EUIV.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Tanis said:
I've wanted to get into this series, but I can't see myself playing it more than Civ5 or GalCiv2:EU.
I strongly advise giving Crusader Kings 2 a try. You can get it on a sale for so cheap and it really is a very different experience than other 4X games. This is coming from a big 4X fan. It has a very different focus. It isn't so much just, war your way to victory.

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
Good more ways for me to fail. I love the game . One of few games i will never master but i look forward to in what form my dimise will come every time i start a new game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
i'm afraid that if i played this game, i'd come to enjoy having a puppet church do my every bidding and never have objective purity again

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
The headline is incorrect. There is already plenty of monotheism in the game, sine Christianity and Islam are both already present.

They are merely adding "more" Monotheism.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Awesome. Jews (finally), and Popes that actually come from somewhere rather than being far-too-young nobodies. Now I can not only become the Emperor of Francia and the HRE, but also set up an uncle or brother as the Pope.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Nightvalien said:
Commander Obvious said:
I've fantasized sacrificing my son to the voice in my head for so many years. Now finally, I can play the game!
Well you know you won't really have to kill him, the voice just want to see what you will do, you know for shit and giggles.
Life is like a van; you are the driver and God is the passenger, giving you ideas.

"Go on, slap the back of that cyclists head! Go on, it'll be funny! Here, use a rolled up newspaper, go on mate. Put a spanner in it!"

THUNK

"What'cha doin'!? Are you fuckin' mental!?"

OT: Doesn't monotheism just mean single deity religions so is already in Crusader Kings 2?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
Tanis said:
I strongly advise giving Crusader Kings 2 a try. You can get it on a sale for so cheap and it really is a very different experience than other 4X games. This is coming from a big 4X fan. It has a very different focus. It isn't so much just, war your way to victory.
Well I finally tried it.

I...I did not do well.

It looks like it's one of those games I'm going to have to toss a lot more time into, just to make it on easy.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Tanis said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Tanis said:
Well I finally tried it.

I...I did not do well.

It looks like it's one of those games I'm going to have to toss a lot more time into, just to make it on easy.
It doesn't help that they just patched it to make it brutally harder. I am not a big fan of the latest changes.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Clive Howlitzer said:
Tanis said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Tanis said:
Well I finally tried it.

I...I did not do well.

It doesn't help that they just patched it to make it brutally harder. I am not a big fan of the latest changes.
They didn't make it harder, they just reworked the levy-system to go by martial scores. Granted there are still problems in it, like vassal-dukes only giving you 20 troops, but otherwise its not exactly harder. I can still steamroll half of europe within 60 years from gamestart, its not "hard".

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
A-D. said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Tanis said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
Tanis said:
Well I finally tried it.

I...I did not do well.

They didn't make it harder, they just reworked the levy-system to go by martial scores. Granted there are still problems in it, like vassal-dukes only giving you 20 troops, but otherwise its not exactly harder. I can still steamroll half of europe within 60 years from gamestart, its not "hard".
You are forgetting the huge issue with event troops right now also. Since those numbers weren't scaled with the levy changes. All the changes have done is encouraged the North Korea strategy.